• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muley and Franc build a shed

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is great.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even.....

The opening post:
Build to Fail, Fail to Build. What is this I don't even.....

I bring you this for your viewing pleasure. Constructikons and do-it-your-selfers may get an extra special kick out of this one.

So, my landlord has taken it upon himself to build a 'toolshed'. For a roto-tiller. At least, that's the entirety of what he told us - there is, however, some inherent communication issues. (He's Korean, and not yet well versed in english (though certainly much better than my Korean)). There's one door so far, and a lawnmower will not even fit through it. (I don't think he knows that yet though)

So, this is the 'project' thus far. For one, the ground it's being built is mushy moist marshland - your feet sink with every step. Which is always ideal for a good foundation - or complete lack thereof.

It may not be immediately obvious, but I don't think this man has a background in construction.
It appears he owns a hammer and saw, perhaps a measuring tape, perhaps not. Certainly nothing like a square, straightedge, or level.
I guestimate that he has seen no more than 3 episodes of various home improvement shows, and maybe at best he's driven by a construction site atleast once in his life. After all, "how hard could it be?"

Indeed.

Now, I'm fairly certain this violates several bylaws. But I have no intention of stopping this beautiful process. I want to see this abortion come to term, and will keep this thread updated as this eyesore... evolves.

The pics almost don't do it justice though, at a glance you may almost think everything is straight and parallel. It's not.

8464NX6h.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This is obviously a rogue minister building his new church. Laugh all you want. His hand is guided and the sructure will be held up by faith.

Clearly nothing else is there to do it.

Leni

Oh my. Even I know better than that. Actually I really shouldn't say that. When we added onto the house I was up on the roof with the contractor. He told me that he could turn me into a journeyman carpenter in no time. Of course I was wearing my bikini at the time so I could get a tan. :flowers:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh my. Even I know better than that. Actually I really shouldn't say that. When we added onto the house I was up on the roof with the contractor. He told me that he could turn me into a journeyman carpenter in no time. Of course I was wearing my bikini at the time so I could get a tan. :flowers:

Now see,,,,that's a picture I can have in my mind.:clap::clap::clap:

The one of that "structure" was driving me nuts! Not one treated board in the lot.
Thanks Leni.

Leni

Now see,,,,that's a picture I can have in my mind.:clap::clap::clap:

The one of that "structure" was driving me nuts! Not one treated board in the lot.
Thanks Leni.

I am very handy with tools and do most of the repairs around the house. The location for this 'shed' is terrible. No concrete foundation and as you said not one treated board. I wonder how long it will be before it collaspes.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am very handy with tools and do most of the repairs around the house. The location for this 'shed' is terrible. No concrete foundation and as you said not one treated board. I wonder how long it will be before it collaspes.

About the same day as they attempt to place the roof structure.
That design will be sumptin!

You sound like my wife a bit. When we remodeled our bedroom wing and then re-covered the entire roof (16 squares) She was up there with me nailing in new rafters and sheathing, tar paper and shingles. Her atire was for summer weather so we got a lot of folks driving by reeeeell sah-looooow.

The were not looking at me.:whistling:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the construction practices from his homeland. You can't expect any more than what he has been exposed to.
slums20on20the20drain.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy crap! Looks like something Rusty would build. :hammer: Even the little Amish kids would do better than that. I taught quite a few how to plumb and square and build for strength. Swung in to look at a new pole building they are building at a farm right off the main road in Pa. They were setting tin and not a single diagonal brace on any of the trusses. I just held my tongue and backed out and left. I know the owner and may say something to him Saturday morning. They can still add bracing but it will be a PITA now. My 80 ft. long building has 16 braces to keep the trusses from flexing. When they don't run a center plank to nail to and break up their seams, you know they are clueless. They also neglected a top plate on the poles and rafter sills.:w00t2:

Leni

About the same day as they attempt to place the roof structure.
That design will be sumptin!

I was thinking sometime before that. All it's going to take is a good strong wind.

I just held my tongue and backed out and left.

Yeah Mule. Sometimes it's just better to keep your mouth shut.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Apparently you did not real the whole thread, there are movies of the construction.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
16 pages? It was 25 pages before I even posted it here. IIRC, there was chatter but no updates between pages 21-25.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It emphasizes why they do code inspections. Folks with no clue do some really dumb stuff and others can be hurt by it. I consider wind and the dominant direction in all my building. The pole building I mentioned being built would be hard pressed to withstand the wind on top the mountain. When you stick an obstacle in the way of mother nature you better do it right. Same goes for snow load and roof pitch.

Kane

It emphasizes why they do code inspections. Folks with no clue do some really dumb stuff and others can be hurt by it. I consider wind and the dominant direction in all my building. The pole building I mentioned being built would be hard pressed to withstand the wind on top the mountain. When you stick an obstacle in the way of mother nature you better do it right. Same goes for snow load and roof pitch.
Uh Oh, the man is here to take a look ...

FAIL!!