• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pentagon: Chinese vessels harassed Navy ship

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
"On March 8, 2009, five Chinese vessels shadowed and aggressively maneuvered in dangerously close proximity to USNS Impeccable, in an apparent coordinated effort to harass the U.S. ocean surveillance ship while it was conducting routine operations in international waters," the Pentagon statement said.
The Chinese ships included a Chinese Navy intelligence collection ship, a Bureau of Maritime Fisheries Patrol Vessel, a State Oceanographic Administration patrol vessel, and two small Chinese-flagged trawlers, officials said.
"The Chinese vessels surrounded USNS Impeccable, two of them closing to within 50 feet, waving Chinese flags and telling Impeccable to leave the area," defense officials said in the statement.
"Because the vessels' intentions were not known, Impeccable sprayed its fire hoses at one of the vessels in order to protect itself," the Defense statement said. "The Chinese crew members disrobed to their underwear and continued closing to within 25 feet."
Emergency stop
Impeccable crew radioed to tell the Chinese ships that it was leaving the area and requested a safe path to navigate, the Pentagon said.
But shortly afterward, two of the Chinese ships stopped directly ahead of the Impeccable, forcing it to an emergency stop in order to avoid collision because the Chinese had dropped pieces of wood in the water directly in front of Impeccable's path, the Pentagon said.
Defense officials said the incident took place in international waters in the South China Sea, about 75 miles south of Hainan Island.
"The unprofessional maneuvers by Chinese vessels violated the requirement under international law to operate with due regard for the rights and safety of other lawful users of the ocean," said Marine Maj. Stewart Upton, a Pentagon spokesman.
"We expect Chinese ships to act responsibly and refrain from provocative activities that could lead to miscalculation or a collision at sea, endangering vessels and the lives of U.S. and Chinese mariners," Upton added.

CONTINUED:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29596179/

Ray

good thing i was not captain, i would have blasted one of those vessels to the slanty eyed ocean in the sky, the rest immediately would fall in line.
As a nation we gotta quit being such pussies. Could you imagine if this happened 30 years ago? the story would read,

"Aggressive Chinese held at bay by American vessel defending itself against hostile action."

Or.......in local news, Slant eyes Sunk. Sushi for shark on menu.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
good thing i was not captain, i would have blasted one of those vessels to the slanty eyed ocean in the sky, the rest immediately would fall in line.
As a nation we gotta quit being such pussies. Could you imagine if this happened 30 years ago? the story would read,

"Aggressive Chinese held at bay by American vessel defending itself against hostile action."

Or.......in local news, Slant eyes Sunk. Sushi for shark on menu.

On March 8, 2009, five Chinese vessels shadowed and aggressively maneuvered in dangerously close proximity to USNS Impeccable, in an apparent coordinated effort to harass the U.S. ocean surveillance ship while it was conducting routine operations in international waters," the Pentagon statement said.

Ray, in all fairness the USN Impeccable is probably a CIA spy ship nosing around Chinese waters. I have a kid who was in military intelligence and you wouldn't believe the places we stick our noses.

This is just the beginning. with our new ( peace, love in the world) president every country that didn't have the balls to bother us a few years ago are going to be prodding us just to see what happens.Sad but True

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably not a whole lot of firepower on board either.

• Civilian: 25 contract mariners
• Military: 25

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
acording to the navy website it's one of five similar carat.
I guess it's close to a floating AWAC.

USNS Impeccable is one of the five Ocean Surveillance Ships that are part of the 25 ships in Military Sealift Command's Special Mission Ships Program.