• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Foremost Snowcat

Anybody hear of a Foremost Snowcat? What if any are the parts availabillity , It has a Ford industrial motor thats all the info ive got so for. Was told it runs and drives, use to be a local trail groomer. Any info on these would be great. I figure the $1500 price tag might be alright. It is about the same size a Super Imp maybe a bit bigger.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Anybody hear of a Foremost Snowcat? What if any are the parts availabillity , It has a Ford industrial motor thats all the info ive got so for. Was told it runs and drives, use to be a local trail groomer. Any info on these would be great. I figure the $1500 price tag might be alright. It is about the same size a Super Imp maybe a bit bigger.

If it is the Ford 104 V-4 industrial motor ,I have quite a bit of information and parts sources for it . The parts are pricey !!! Top Hp should be about 80 HP ,I think . Those motors were used in a lot of the 1970's type bobcats loaders and stuff like that . Tuff little bugger !!!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
A pretty rare cat. Made in Canada. I saw a pictures of a restored one at 'the other site'. Imp-sized, fiberglass body, VW 4-spd transmission, differential steering. If it's not a pile of rusted metal and busted fiberglass, AND the differential is good, I'd pay $1500. Got pictures?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

We have info on Foremost machines what model? we have some parts also
most likely if it is a small machine it should have the OC-12 diffrential :chef:

here is a link to there site they most likely do not make that model anymore.
http://www.foremost.ca/index_brochmedia.php?category=55

Last edited:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

If it runs, it is well worth the price... I would snag that drag too... it has $500.00 just in steel in it! Paint job and you can double your money in it to a club somewhere...

KOKANEE%20GROOMING%20DRAG%20WEB%20PHOTO.jpg

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

If it runs, it is well worth the price... I would snag that drag too... it has $500.00 just in steel in it! Paint job and you can double your money in it to a club somewhere...

KOKANEE%20GROOMING%20DRAG%20WEB%20PHOTO.jpg

One of these was for sale in Maine for about the same price I believe ... thought it would have been snapped up by you know who....

No I haven't bought it yet ,I still have yet to go see it. But I'm headed that way at the end of the month, hopefully I can talk the better half into it.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
You're so screwed! :rolf2: :poke:

Your wife is going to be on your case for a very long time and you still won't be able to stop spending money on it! Welcome to the club.

kitimatdude

Well I am the proud owner of a Foremost Spider, I go and pick it up in 2 weeks. Cant wait

Congrats!
I got mine going fairly cheap, but I have a yard full of junk to draw from. If you have to have factory parts you can still buy them. not cheap tho.
you can go to thier website and they actually respond to emails!
http://www.foremost.ca/
two of the people that sent me manuals with exploded views etc. for the diff and brakes. I'm not sure if they are still with them its been a while.
Steve_Pfaff@foremost.ca
david.brims@foremost.ca
Foremost Industries
1-866-927-2787
1-403-295-5831 (Fax)

its a start Good Luck!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did they tell you what type of diff it has? they may have used a T-16 or a OC12 maybe even a OC15? all of these parts are available from other sources also they Have bought parts from us before.

She's mine all mine, 12 hour road trip well worth it, it runs great v6 ford industrial, hydrostatic drive, definately needs tracks but thats minor, will post pics later

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations !!!

I'm looking forward to the pictures and details :thumb:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice !!

Is that a 300c.i. engine ?
Do you know what differential it has ?

The engine is a 122ci V6 Ford and there is no differential its Hydrostatic drive which is two hydrolic motors with a chain final drive. I'll get some pics of it later today.:blink:

swixb

I found a Spider, been sitting for many years. looks to be a bit smaller that the one in the pic, two man cab. how do these things steer with just one lever? you dont have to stop to turn? any idea what it would take to retro one for true independant hydrostatic control of the tracks? The stock motor directly powers the hydro pump that delivers the oil to the two motors, but with the cross shaped control in the pic, how does it steer whle moving forward? I'd love to talk shop on this before I too will have the wife mad at me! i'f Im going to be living in it I want to buy the right rig!
the plan would be to install a modern EFI engine to run better at high altiudes, ~10,000 here in Colorado...may be a challenge to power the pump...thus my need to gather some details. Swixb at comcast dot net. If I delay someone else will snipe it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that looks like a nice little rig never seen a nodwell product for snow only looks to have monster tracks with doubble road wheels like a muskeg what does the thing weigh

swixb

pic worth a thousand words.
hopefully the pic comes through
Swixb

Attachments

• ~WRO0000.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 188

swixb

2500 pounds? cannot be too heavy, fiberglass cab & bed. you can see the large chain drive sprockets on the axels. looks smaller than the other spider on this string. 6 wheels. no pic of the interior on this unit. been sitting for 10+ years, prob 15+. missing one track, wondering how hard it would be to buy/fab new grousers? or retrofit with Imp/Spyte drive hubs? but then I'll need two sets....

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that one has single row road wheels looks like a good starter project i would check with boggie about a set of grousers and guides and keep the same axles you can buy belt the plus side of nodwells is that they are built like a brick $hit house thiokol spindles are kindof weak 2500 pounds is pretty good puts it in the same weight class as a snow trac and alot easyer to get in and out of

swixb

any idea how the hydrostatic system might work? true independant track control? like a "modern" rig? why did this tech not catch on? when was this rig made? late 60's? Thiokol seems like they dominated the market. 2500# is just a guess. Yes this would be my first snowcat, I did rebuild a Muskeg a long time ago, talk about a brick house...7000#, not a snow rig, but could go on tundra all day...the Thiokols had a poor reputation as they walked out of thier tracks when the going got tuff.

swixb

did find a Kristi for 3500...met a guy that put a turbo Audi engine in his VW Van, bolted right up...had a bug for my first car...light yes, reliable well, not so much.
Thinking 150-200 hp/tq would make this purr. or blow it up? ha. do not have a feel for what loss will be had with hydro vs. direct like a skid steer unit.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
krusty for 3500 Big Al must be selling his my understanding is about a 30 % loss when using hydraulics to replace gears i'm guessing less power loss in a turn than brake steer some of the newer hydro static systems may be more efficent.

I was looking at that same snowcat, guy said someone was coming to buy it. The yellow Spyder I had was a good cat, the steering is a little hard to get use to at first but fairly simple. The cross pattern is a diamond on top the same as the bottom, the two slots in the middle are for turning on a dime(pull all the way to the left and both tracks will turn in opposite directions turning the cat to the left, same as the right). The diamonds are for forward and reverse, the more you move the joy stick into the diamond(get your minds out of the gutter kids) the faster the cat will go and of corse moving the stick to the left or right in the diamond will turn the cat while moving forward or backward. These cats were built in Calgary Alberta Canada, I was told they were built in the back using Foremost parts, they discontinued the smaller cats and went towards the very large industrial cats. The cat in the picture is a 1971. Parts for these cats are fairly easy to find at places like Princess Auto(large discount store in Canada). I would buy it