• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for Bombardier SW Sidewalk Plow Info

W30bob

Hi guys,

Total newbie here. I just picked up an SW64 this past weekend and know nothing about them. Heck, I've never even seen one before! Picked it up at the auction because I'll never be able to afford a Sherman tank (or even a lowly Stuart the way prices are climbing) and it looks like a ton of fun! I'll post some pics shortly, but for now can you point me in the direction of where I can learn about them? I'd specifically like to find out what year mine is, as the data plate is missing. Is the serial number stamped anywhere else on the machine?

Looks identical to a '73 I found online.......meaning round front (not cab over like the later ones), chromed pot metal heater inlet scoop, black stripe decal around cab, wiper on bottom of windshield, Western 5-way plow, solid wheels and Chrysler 251 flathead 6 with 3-speed manual trans. I ordered the J-5 owners manual copy from Ebay, figuring the running gear might be the same, but it's not here yet. What other characteristics would help to date it?

Thanks,
Bob

PJL

Welcome aboard Bob, This is the friendliest snowcat forum in the world. In fact we have members from all over the world. Post some photos if you can and someone will jump in and help you out.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi guys,

Total newbie here. I just picked up an SW64 this past weekend and know nothing about them. Heck, I've never even seen one before! Picked it up at the auction because I'll never be able to afford a Sherman tank (or even a lowly Stuart the way prices are climbing) and it looks like a ton of fun! I'll post some pics shortly, but for now can you point me in the direction of where I can learn about them? I'd specifically like to find out what year mine is, as the data plate is missing. Is the serial number stamped anywhere else on the machine?

Looks identical to a '73 I found online.......meaning round front (not cab over like the later ones), chromed pot metal heater inlet scoop, black stripe decal around cab, wiper on bottom of windshield, Western 5-way plow, solid wheels and Chrysler 251 flathead 6 with 3-speed manual trans. I ordered the J-5 owners manual copy from Ebay, figuring the running gear might be the same, but it's not here yet. What other characteristics would help to date it?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, The J5 will be basically the same. The SW64 had a narrower track 14” VS 16.5 on the J5 other than that almost exactly the same.

Check behind the center seat backrest for a tag the 4 and 5th digit is the year of the serial number.

Sometimes under many coats of paint you may find a serial number on the front bumper of the machine on the left side right above the round tube on the flat directly in front of the left track. About 3/4” stamped into the metal.

Parts are available I have many...... INSTOCK new and used, have fun with it.

W30bob

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. Here are some pics of my SW64. I don't believe it's been repainted, but could be wrong. So I'm going to head out there now to check the front bumper for any stampings. In regards to the seat back.....I assume you mean I need to pull the cushion from the metal frame to see any plate, if there is one, as there is nothing on the back of the seat frame or on the firewall behind the seat. I'll take the cushion off tomorrow so the neighbors don't think I'm nuts doing it out there now around midnight.

I don't think the black metal (galvanized) box is supposed to be there on the back of the machine, but it is welded down to the platform......what do you guys think? It holds the battery now because someone mounted an electric fuel pump on the firewall where the battery frame is attached. But I plan on moving the battery back under the cowl onto the firewall bracket this weekend and finding a better place for the fuel pump, as I decided if I want to keep it or go back to the mechanical pump. It also had some big ugly non-stock flasher lights mounted on the roof, which I removed. But I will be looking to find a set of original flashers to get it back to stock.

One thing I did find interesting is the inside tub where the driver sits has everything painted black. I found that a bit weird, as I restore military vehicles, and the inside of all tracked vehicles is always painted white......so you can see what you're doing. It's just about impossible to see anything you've dropped in there with everything painted black. But I guess white gets ugly too quickly for a commercial product. Just weird I guess.

I've noticed every time I look at this thing I find myself smiling. Not sure why, but I think it just has "FUN" written all over it. Can't believe I've never seen one before. Guess I need to get out more.

thanks again,
bob

Attachments

• DSC01527.jpg
    DSC01527.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01526.jpg
    DSC01526.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC01525.jpg
    DSC01525.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 255

W30bob

MN........you rock! There isn't a round tube on the front of the superstructure, but on the front right side of the hull above the track was the SN stamping clear as day. It reads "JW 71 7345-TX". Not sure about the fourth and fifth digits being the date code, but maybe the first two numeric digits are the date code? That would make it made in 1971, right? I'll have a new data plate made.......so I'm really glad I have the actual SN......thanks again!

Regards,
Bob

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
MN........you rock! There isn't a round tube on the front of the superstructure, but on the front right side of the hull above the track was the SN stamping clear as day. It reads "JW 71 7345-TX". Not sure about the fourth and fifth digits being the date code, but maybe the first two numeric digits are the date code? That would make it made in 1971, right? I'll have a new data plate made.......so I'm really glad I have the actual SN......thanks again!

Regards,
Bob

Yep, looks like a 1971, I’ll look for the factory info when it left,and who it went to when I get time .

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here you go.........

Attachments

• 6F42B55C-4CD2-44C9-A073-C0C80419B789.jpg
    6F42B55C-4CD2-44C9-A073-C0C80419B789.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 243

W30bob

Hi Guys,

Keys arrived for the door locks today. I called Eberhart on Monday and gave the gal the code on the door locks, and for a few bucks they sent me out some new keys........and they work! Also found an ignition key buried in the debris in the Gerry Can holder. It's the right form for the ignition and goes in fine, but doesn't turn. Comparing it to my good key I can see it's not for my machine. But probably from another machine like mine.

Pulled the gear shift mechanism out, took it apart, blasted all the parts and re-welded the shifter handle to the "T" section that slides on the bar that engages the shifter arms. Had been welded previously, but not very well. Good as new now. Really thinking about painting everything white instead of black. Gonna stew on that a bit though before I pull the trigger.

J-5 manual should be here tomorrow. Yeah.

regards,
bob

W30bob

Hi guys,

Got the J5 manual today........it's pretty weak. No schematic, very limited info in general, just a couple parts diagrams.......but I did learn a few things, so not totally useless.

One thing it didn't tell me is if there's a filter, screen or just nothing on the fuel pickup tube that goes to the bottom of the tank and sucks fuel. My tank was disconnected when I got it and a plastic fuel tank has been mounted on the rear side of the machine. That's got to go, so I looked in the original tank and there's fuel in there and no leaks.......so I'm trying to figure out why it was disconnected.

It's hard to shine a light in the tank and see anything with the filler cap hole being so small, but I did see a donkey dick sitting on the bottom of the tank. Using a long magnet pickup tool I was able to get the dd out without screwing up the sender or making a spark and blowing myself up. I also found the bottom of the tank had a lot of fine metallic debris on it, as my magnet kept pulling that crap out. So I'm guessing they stopped using the tank because the inlet got clogged with that fine debris and they didn't know how to fix it. Someone also cut the metal fuel line off where it routes up the engine block past the intake manifold. Not sure why they didn't just leave it be......but the last foot or so that connects to the carb is gone. I'll back flush the fuel tank outlet with compressed air and get all the sediment out.......but I'd like to know if I'm fighting a screen or filter. Anybody know?

Also found a couple of disconnected red wires in the engine bay, so would like to see a schematic to see what's going on there. Anybody have one I could see?

Thanks,
Bob