• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

$249 ~ Deal on a Color Laser Printer

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got a deal (steal) at the local Staples store on a Samsung CLP-510N color laser printer!

The printer was on sale for $299, with a $50 rebate, leaving a price of $249.00! I thought it would be worth it because I have had problems with the Ink Jet printers we use at that house. Mostly because they don't get used to much so the spray nozzels clog and the repair bill is more than the price of a new cheap printer!

Most of the other color printers were DOUBLE the price of the Samsung CLP-510N.

The price at Staples is available at all their stores so it was not just a local deal. If someone is looking for an inexpensive laser printer, and wants color, then this might just be the deal for you! On thing I don't like is that the toner cartriges that come with the printer are only "starter" cartriges not fully loaded cartriges.

Here is a review of the printer, given the price, I think I got a great deal. Obviously it is not perfect, but given the low cost, and given the fact that it will print color its a bargain. Not a good printer if you want to print photo quality output! But for my daughter's homework assignments and for my wife's school projects (she is a teacher) it should be excellent.
CNET editors' review

for Samsung CLP-510N color laser Reviewed by: Dan Littman
Edited by: Elsa Wenzel
The affordable Samsung CLP-510N prints text quickly and handles graphics fast enough for ordinary office work. Yet while it produces good color prints, its text is less sharp than we'd hope. The network-ready N model tested by CNET Labs costs only $500 and includes Samsung's mature network-printer-management software--a steal compared to printers such as the $800 Okidata Oki C5200n and the $550 Brother HL-2700CN. Plus, Samsung includes a duplexer for double-sided printing--an extra cost on most color machines. You can also pay to equip the CLP-510 with extra paper capacity and a wireless interface. Overall, this printer makes a fine match for small workgroups where good-enough, not excellent, output quality will suffice. An individual seeking a personal color laser can't do better than this, whether deploying it in a home office or at work.​

Attachments

• 31273285-2-300-above-4.gif
    31273285-2-300-above-4.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 31273285-2-300-back-3.gif
    31273285-2-300-back-3.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 31273285-2-300-overview-1.gif
    31273285-2-300-overview-1.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 149

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob,

That looks like a good deal. We just bought a Tally T8006E Color Laser on sale for $450.00. We had a T8006 that kind of went on the blink, the labor just to get the tech to our shop was going to be $175.00 and then get him back for another $175.00. The E series was the same thing just a bit newer and was an overstock item. The Tally prints pretty good but the toner is expensive.

murph

messickfarmequ

Charter Member
We are now running Okidata color lasers and HP black and whites. I always buy my printers based on what has the easiest toner cartridges to refill. Thats where the money is spent!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
messickfarmequ said:
I always buy my printers based on what has the easiest toner cartridges to refill. Thats where the money is spent!

Neil, totally agree with you there! And for work that is what we did. All our B&W lasers use the same model HP toner cartridge. In fact we bought a couple spare laser printers just so we could continue in case they changed models. . . which of course they did! We ship out over 2000 orders per week, each invoice is printed in duplicate, and most are 3 to 5 pages long. So we set up one printers with white paper, others with yellow paper so part 1 is printed in white, but part two is printed in yellow. Our delivery manifests are on another printer, we use that for pick tickets too. Checks and other documents are on other lasers, again the same model. The beauty is if one of the critical printers goes out in the middle of the night, our night shift folks can simply unplug another printer and swap it into place. The techs on the day shift can figure out what went wrong, but we are not faced with serious downtime on a shift when we need production.

Having all the printers use a common toner also cuts down on supply room inventory costs. We only have 1 type for the HP lasers, and 1 type for the color laser. We also use a 're-fill' service that refills the toner cartridges with generic toner and it saves us about 50% off the cost of new toner refills.

BUT FOR THE HOUSE, the little Samsung color laser, at $249, seems like a great deal. And I can't benefit from all that other stuff I do at the office.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
And one replacement for each of the cartridges is more than the sale price and almost as much as the retail price of a whole new unit :mad:

But if you can use a refill service then it may not be too bad. I'm not familiar with any that may be around here. Of course I can buy a $40 printer and ink replacements are $50........go figure.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BIMP

Are you still happy with your Samsung Bob?

I threw away my last inkjet and went looking for a color laser printer today. Hopefully clogged print heads are a thing of the past.
Sam's Club had a $249 deal too, but on a Konica Minolta magicolor 2530DL.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Konica_Minolta_Magicolor_2530DL_printer_color_laser/4505-3159_7-32065569.html?tag=pdtl-list

I've never seen any computer peripheral shipped with such shoddy user information or guidance, but I managed to figure out how to remove the shipping tape, blocks, and set it up in spite of that. After that experience I was aggravated to say the least, but printing a couple of photo's set my mind at ease. The text quality is great (to me) and pictures at least as good as those printed on my Epson CX6600 inkjet. I'm aware that replacing the toner will be like buying the thing again, but no more than I use a printer at home they'll last a long time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually yes, we are very happy with it. Zero problems so far, good print quality, low price. A tough combination to beat.

jwstewar

We purchased a color laser yesterday for home use. It is an HP 2605dn. It is rated at 12 PPM black and 8 PPM color. It is 600 DPI black and 2400 RET for color. It was $499 and we got OfficeMax to knock $80 off because of an issue with an HP 2600 we bought on Sunday. Then we took an additional 10% off because we applied for their credit card (no interest until 2008 btw) and then Monica also had a $10 coupon card.:cool2: End up getting it for some like 380 or so. Built in Ethernet connection so it isn't dedicated to a computer and it also automatically duplexes. It has 64 MB of RAM expandable to 192 (some websites say 320 they must have skimped that down a little bit though). Unlike some other manufacturers HP ships this unit with full toner cartridges. I've been kinda down on HP lately, but this unit restores my faith that they still build a damn good laser printer.:thumb: :applause: We were printing up some CD Jewel case labels for one of Monica's customers last night. WOW!!!! It did a fantastic job on the cover - especially once you consider it was on photo paper and was on jewel case paper and card stock.:a1:

I've now found it on HPs site for $399. If any one is interested in a great color laser, I highly recommend this one.

Here is a review of it:
http://review.zdnet.com/HP_Color_LaserJet_2605dtn/4505-3159_16-31850723.html?tag=pdtl-list

Note: that review is for the dtn, we just bought the dn. We didn't get the 3rd tray or the card readers. Haven't used those on the 2 inkjets we have that have them anyway.

On a side note, I believe this is 6 printers we now have at home. No wonder the office is shrinking.