• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Brown Recluse Spiders *Graphic*

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brown Recluse Spiders

Its summertime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles. Also cool areas in the attic!

The Brown Recluse Spider is the most
dangerous spider that we have here in the
USA.

A person can die from its bite. We all should know what the spider looks like.

People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning,
and sometimes in their attics.

The following illustrates the progression of a brown recluse spider bite. The affected skin actually dies on his body. Day 3, 5 & 6

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 392
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 375
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 421

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Day 9, 10 and the spider........

The Dangerous Brown Recluse Spider

Please be careful. Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent
and highly negative consequences.

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other
areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light
and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 369

soundguy

Yikes! Hope this person recovered... that poison must be bad stuff!!!

I'm pretty sure I've seen those spiders around here in florida when cleaning up stacked boards and brush piles.

Worse I've ever had was black widow bites... 1st one was the worst.. just had sever headache, and slight alergy reaction, redness around bite.. pain in that leg.. went away after a couple days. Second time wasn't as bad as first.. ( guess I'm lucky.. I hear b-widow bites can kill you too. if you are alergic to them.. )

Soundguy

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I do not "think" we have the "Brown recluse" in Northern California . There is some college professor down south that has a standing $10,000 reward for proof of Brown Recluses living in Northern Calif . No one has collected yet .
Are they suppose to live all over the country or just a few areas ?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Are they suppose to live all over the country or just a few areas ?
Yea Greg...
That's not nice showing us those pictures without telling us where these things live.
I'm all over the place and often work in conditions described.
Moreso, I think about the kids.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting link. I read somewhere that the appropriate treatment for a BRS bite is to administer nitroglycerine to the bitten area. The BRS venom causes necrosis by devascularization and the nitro helps to restore proper blood flow to the wound. Any MD's out there with info on this?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Brown Recluse Spiders

Its summertime & cleanup is going on.

Well... maybe its summertime where you are ,but here in Northern Ca. we are about Drowned Rats . I have never seen so make rain !

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jpr62902 said:
Interesting link. I read somewhere that the appropriate treatment for a BRS bite is to administer nitroglycerine to the bitten area. The BRS venom causes necrosis by devascularization and the nitro helps to restore proper blood flow to the wound. Any MD's out there with info on this?
The site said there isn't a treatment...
They said (more or less) to stay calm and get to a hospital where they'll keep it clean and watch you.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
The site said there isn't a treatment...
They said (more or less) to stay calm and get to a hospital where they'll keep it clean and watch you.

Hence my comment, "Interesting link." I can read you know.:D In fact, and according to a certain other participant's standards, I got the smarts real good.:tiphat:

Tact

We battled these little F'ers all last year with exterminators. They seemed to slow down but they are still here, especially in the attic where it's cool and dark. Normally they don't come out until it's dark, then they start to roam. Also they like hidding in the most remote places and people don't get bite unless the spiders are bothered, hense why they are called recluse. It's bite is like no other and eats the flesh from inside out, thus forming a crater.
I remember last summer my wife went in the cabinet, got a glass, filed it with ice and tea. Then after drinking half of it she noticed a live brown recluse floating on top of the tea in the glass.:puke1: Iwas laughing, only because of her reaction when she saw it, and she was freaking out screaming. Iwonder what would have happened if she swallowed it.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
We have them here in Nevada. I am not sure but the picture of the guy with his thumb all eaton away may have been a SBC employee in Reno NV. It may have been Nevada Bell then. Anyway we were shown pictures of one of our employees after he was bit on the thumb. Bad bad stuff. I have seen them under houses when I was running wires.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I remember participating in a discussion about these spiders on the other site. I just did a search and found the information. If you would like to find the thread and read it, do a search for Brown Recluse Spider in the Rural Living forum. The title of the thread is " Brown Recluse Bite - Home Remedies?" The original post is dated 10/23/03. Junk..

rico304

I know they are in Maine. We had a guy out of work for quite a while. Apparently there was one in his boot.....OUCH!!!!
I don't think the Dr. even diagnosed it until a couple weeks into it. They are pretty rare here I believe

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Holy crap!!!! :smileywac I have to tell my family and friends about these suckers. Those pictures tell the story. Very dangerous buggers.
Thanks for the post. :thumb: