• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Surge breaker question.....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have a Square D Surge breaker that has never been mounted in the electrical panel. Have had it for years, but never go around to installing it. My question is, is this old technology that isn't warranted, or will it be beneficial? Is one in the main panel enough or do I need one in each of the Sub Panels??? It is a QO2175SB

Attachments

• MVC-887F.JPG
    MVC-887F.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 31

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Junk,
I would suppose they would be a good thing to have. I have often thought about them, but never got around to getting one. No they are not old technology, SquareD has added one for the Homeline series as well.
They are supposed to bleed off any voltage higher than 175V and send it to the grounding electrode system. SquareD has another style that mounts inside the breaker box. It has leads that bolt to the buss immediately after the Main Breaker. I wonder if that is better? Could it make a difference to bleed off that surge before it gets to the breakers?
One thing I've often thought about though. I'd want one in the system BEFORE it got to my breaker box.