• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Harvest has started ..

DAP

We have been bordering on drought conditions up here in Maine ... quite unusual.

Some of you may have remembered the terraced garden I put in ...

It is finally giving up its yield although EVERYONE's tomatoes are ripening VERY SLOWLY ...

Here's a list of what we are getting:

1. Aside from enough tomatoes to feed the county (34 plants from seed)
2. 6 types of beans (heaps)
3. shallots
4. carrots
4a. leeks
5. 6 potato plants
5a 2 kinds of cucumbers (english and seeded) (tons)
6. swiss char (3 colors)
7. 5 types of squash
8. 4 watermelons
9. dozen head of cabbage
10. small set of peas
11. 2 sets of radishes (red - already gone) and those big white German beer radishes - some salt and brown bread with butter and you're all set
12. 10 Pepper plants, some sweet, some hot.
13. Herb section with parsley, basil, rosemary, dill, cilantro and cat mint (for Cooper the cat).
14. Oh I forgot, can you say Zuchinni? This plant should be regulated by the fed.

The peppers are way behind for some reason.

In NY, deer were a problem requiring fence protection. Not here, but the bugs will get ya if ya don't watch out.

This seems to be one of those years when flora went crazy regionally. Every old forgotten 100 yo apple tree along the roads are all full of fruit.

We've already begun canning, pickling and preserving. Looks like I will be having a lot of spaghetti this winter.

As you can see from the pictures and the list, this garden was a little too ambitious perhaps. Although everything grew or is growing nicely, it needed to be thinned out more than a couple of times. The tomato plants were toppling their cages and snapping their stakes as they passed 9ft in height. We had to toss some unripened fruit to get the plants down to a manageable size where they could get air and water.

The beds are 5'x40' - perhaps hard to distinguish in the photos.

Attachments

• P0004623.jpg
    P0004623.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
  • P0004520.jpg
    P0004520.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P0004724.jpg
    P0004724.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P0004728.jpg
    P0004728.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P0004730.jpg
    P0004730.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NICE Harvest!!!! :thumb:

Why do you say:
DAP said:
14. Oh I forgot, can you say Zuchinni? This plant should be regulated by the fed.

DAP

NICE Harvest!!!! :thumb:

Why do you say:

One zuchinni plants seems to yield 1,298,291.4 zuchinnis. I am SICK of Zuchinni!!!!!! That's why I say!

People at my wife's office have resorted to clandestine operations, anonomously setting bags of zuchinni in other peoples offices, etc.

Its outta control.:pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One zuchinni plants seems to yield 1,298,291.4 zuchinnis. I am SICK of Zuchinni!!!!!! That's why I say!

People at my wife's office have resorted to clandestine operations, anonomously setting bags of zuchinni in other peoples offices, etc.

Its outta control.:pat:

Ahhh, I see. :yum:

I attended a function where they sliced zucchini very thin and lightly battered them and then deep fried them. Boy were they good.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup, we don't grow zuchinni anymore. There's always some friend trying to pawn off zuchinni's so we let other's deal with that.

However, this year we have been having tons of Cucumbers. What ever I did I did right. I picked 13 huge cucumbers the other day and there are more coming every day.

It's always interesting how things change from year to year.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One zuchinni plants seems to yield 1,298,291.4 zuchinnis.
:yum: :yum: :yum: On the surface, a comment like that seems like an exaggeration, but upon some reflection, I'd have to agree with you!

We didn't grow a garden this year. First year that we didn't plant one. But I had an excuse with my foot surgery this spring taking me out of commission.

Still, I this is about the time of the year that I really miss a good garden. It looks like you're having a great harvest, and it your garden looks pretty neat and weed free . . . something I've never managed. Congrats on the harvest!

DAP

:yum: :yum: :yum: On the surface, a comment like that seems like an exaggeration, but upon some reflection, I'd have to agree with you!

We didn't grow a garden this year. First year that we didn't plant one. But I had an excuse with my foot surgery this spring taking me out of commission.

Still, I this is about the time of the year that I really miss a good garden. It looks like you're having a great harvest, and it your garden looks pretty neat and weed free . . . something I've never managed. Congrats on the harvest!

Bob ... NEVER mention the word Zuchinni and "no garden this year" in the same sentence.

I'm sure you will rebound and have a planting next year and I'll bet you've got friends who will bring you some fresh grown goodies.

Regarding weeds, we finally heard about the newspaper method of weed control, though some say thay have been doing this for years. It works splendidly. Use newspapers just like garden plastic - and put some straw on top. Very few weeds indeed. Cheap and effective.

We should put our heads together and find a way to convert zuchinni into fuel you can burn in a combustion engine. Ca-ching Ca-ching.

DAP

Ahhh, I see. :yum:

I attended a function where they sliced zucchini very thin and lightly battered them and then deep fried them. Boy were they good.

Yea .. slice one up length ways, brush both sides with olive oil, some salt and pepper, and immediately put them over the fire on the BBQ.

Eat them as soon as they come off. Better than french fries ... well almost.

Delish though.

scooterd

Have you guys tried zucchini relish? It tastes really good and it's easy to make. If anyone is interested, we'll post the recipe when we get home tonight.

DAP

Have you guys tried zucchini relish? It tastes really good and it's easy to make. If anyone is interested, we'll post the recipe when we get home tonight.

I'm staring at 15 jars of it! Post your recipe though, I'd like to compare!

The good thing about zucchini relish is you have to grill a bazillion BRAT(wurst)s to get rid of it all!

:wave:

scooterd

12 cups coarsely grated unpeeled zucchini
4 cups grated onion
5 Tbsp. salt
2.5 c. 5% vinegar
6 c. sugar
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. black pepper
8 drops green food color (optional)

Mix zucchini, onion and salt and let stand overnight. Rinse with cold water to remove salt. Drain.
In a large kettle, mix sugar, spices, vinegar and cornstarch. Heat until mixture starts to thicken. Add veggies. Mix well. Cook 30 minutes stirring often. Add food color if you want. Sometimes we add a few chopped hot peppers to give it a little kick.:thumb: Fill jars, put in hot water bath 10 minutes for pints, 15 minutes for quarts. This makes about 5 quarts.