• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

early tucker photos

olympicorange

…. 1956 mt. hood.....

Attachments

• 1206191318_Film2.jpg
    1206191318_Film2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 422

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if the car was set up to be self leveling as the incline changed or if they had a bus driver making adjustments?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if the car was set up to be self leveling as the incline changed or if they had a bus driver making adjustments?

As a kid, I remember riding the Skiway and there was no self leveling. Sometimes the car would not have enough power to climb to the next tower and the operator would back it down and get another run at it full throttle. I also remember that the restaurant made the best huckleberry pancakes ever. Think I remember that the best.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
As a kid, I remember riding the Skiway and there was no self leveling. Sometimes the car would not have enough power to climb to the next tower and the operator would back it down and get another run at it full throttle. I also remember that the restaurant made the best huckleberry pancakes ever. Think I remember that the best.

Oh the things we remember the best. Jubitz in Portland use to serve, early 80s, individual Marion berry pies. Don't think Marion berry's were widely available then.Those pies alone were enough to justify stopping at Jubitz.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
1965 tucker 542 pictured at roundhouse on mt baldy, sun valley, idaho

ah, I am the kid in the background of this photo

fullsizeoutput_400.jpg

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wrong Mr. L Tucker, not top heavy, Timberline had two of the twenty passenger 700 cats and never rolled one. This photo is at the only almost flat place to unload called Triangle Morane. It is 1500 vertical feet above the top of the Palmer Upper chair lift terminal. And steeper slope than the Palmer snow field. These Tuckers were purchased by Timberline Lodge in 1960 and 61.The rock in the back ground is Illumination Rock. One could easily ski down to it. Told you it was steep, maybe someone can fix this photo, not me.

Attachments

• Shoebox.jpg
    Shoebox.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 409

PJL

Ummm, Miss PP. The Tucker isn't the star in that Sun Valley pic. That's Jackie Kennedy, John Jr, and Caroline Kennedy.

Attachments

• 7f19ede85068e81b46dbfa5fc0d5bf40.jpg
    7f19ede85068e81b46dbfa5fc0d5bf40.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 414

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
busy summer and glad it is coming to an end, pretty much ready for a new year and things getting back to kinda normal !!!

meanwhile the summer was full of new finds making their way home, free tucker Monday, Australian freighter, and a one off model 420 torpedo from Durago, Colorado.

it is either a '46, '47, but no later than '48, along with a very different grill and hood, it was powered by a Packard 6 cylinder engine with a 3 speed transmission, and a gas tank almost twice the standard size of the normally used tanks, pretty much all tuckers built up to and including '46, all had used engines and drive trains, it was and somewhat still is in sad shape, have spent the last few weeks, salvaging bits and pieces and reconstructing the front end, put on a new hoop, put a used radiator in and saved some of the original grill, along with some new bars, got the grill back to what I think it was originally, think it is savable and hope to be on the snow sometime in the near future.

yes, I have one old photo with this machine, but it is in the background, not a great picture, at least it confirms it is a tucker made machine.

what is a challenge in ID ing these early machines, is, tucker never put ID tags on machines till '49, so much is done by old photos and luck...

fullsizeoutput_4be.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4a3.jpg

YpVo3IMoSJmXeaTQZj1cxQ.jpg

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thank you to Cooper fab for welding up the new design for mounting a blade on a 400/500 series tucker, excellent craftmanship, looking forward to getting on the 440 and upcoming winter...

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_182429150.JPG
    IMG_20201017_182429150.JPG
    738.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. That will resolve much of the various designs weak spots and the only trade off I see is the loss of spring which probably doesn't matter.

If you use a blade most likely you are in the deep sno which is a natural shock absorber. The rear springs will still cushion the ride to some degree especially for rear passengers.

We proably have yet to see the air ride cab that goes with it.