Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Agriculture & Rural Living Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM
Bronze Member

jwstewar is on a distinguished road
Default Automatic waterer in barns

We are building a new barn for our bucks. I've run the water line and put a frost free hydrant in. Looking to add automatic waterers.

What I did in the current barn, I have a water line that I ran to the milk room that is heated (and cooled). From there I ran that out to the barn area to all of the automatic waters (5 of them). When I comes winter time. I shut the water off in the milk room, disconnect the automatic waters and let the lines drain.

In the new barn I won't have a heated area to do my drain to. Easiest approach is to just attach a "Y" to the hydrant and leave the hydrant on all of the time. That is certainly possible, but I've been told (don't know for sure) that it is bad to leave the hydrants on all of the time.

I've thought about tapping into the line that supplies the hydrant and bringing it up out of the ground for a bit and wrapping it with heat tape, but I don't like that should we lose power.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to run a water line in an unheated barn?

Revelations 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.