• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Near Fatal Avalanche (survival) Story from New Hampshire

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Avalanches can happen on any slope, any mountain range.

The slipping away peacefully was the worst part to me. I never want to feel it's ok to go. Ever.

Be careful out there folks!

Link to photos & story => http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/12/mass_hiker_recounts_near_fatal_avalanche

Boston Herald said:
Mass. hiker recounts near-fatal avalanche | Boston Herald

What started out as a weekend hiking adventure on Mount Washington in New Hampshire for Conor Lodge and his friend Adam Herman took a sudden near-tragic turn Saturday night when the Oak Bluffs men were caught in an avalanche that swept them 800 feet down Tuckerman Ravine.

Lodge, 22, a former Herald editorial assistant, recounted his brush with death — he escaped with a concussion and Herman with a broken arm — in a conversation last night with Herald reporter Bob McGovern.

Here in his own words is his incredible story:

It all started on the way up to the summit. Adam Herman and myself were with two other hikers — Tristan, my brother, and Richard Quebec. It started to get dark, so Adam and I were getting worried that we were going to get stuck in the dark on the way down the mountain. So we decided to go fast and leave my brother and Richard behind.

We got to the summit, and then on the way down we ran into our friends and they were going to the summit and asked for us to wait. ... But the wind was going 70 miles per hour and there was a negative 20 wind chill. We decided that we had to keep moving. (We) were not familiar with Mount Washington at all, so when we came to the split between Lion’s Head and Tuckerman Ravine, we decided to take Tuckerman Ravine because that’s where I thought we came from.

That was our first mistake.

We went down, and we were following the checkpoints, but there was less and less visibility. We couldn’t see 10 feet in front of us. Adam was up front, about 3 or 4 feet in front of me, and we were on the lip over Tuckerman Ravine. With one step, he sparks the avalanche, and I was swept up and went down on my back. Adam had an 800-foot descent to the bottom of the ravine and broke his arm. ... On the way down, I thought I was going to die.

I knew I needed to break my fall, so I put my feet out and tried to grab on to a bush. I grabbed it, but I must have hit my head because I don’t remember the next half an hour. Tristan told me after that he had gone to the top of the mountain, started descending, and heard a voice that told him I was in trouble. He started running down the mountain at that point and followed our footprints. It was pretty lucky that he saw the footprints because it was snowing pretty hard. If he didn’t come, me and Adam would have been on our own. He was the one who got the rescuers. Adam and I tried to get to (Tristan), but Adam’s arm was broken in seven places, as we found out later. I don’t know how Adam got to me, because I was unconscious, but I think he was in shock, and he climbed up. We had also lost our ice picks and our Microspikes that gave us traction. So we just had slippery boots, and I tried to make a footpath for Adam.

When Tristan left, it was a very lonely feeling. It was pitch-black, and it was only Adam and I, and I felt like I was slipping away. I had a concussion, and I just wanted to slip away into my thoughts, but Adam didn’t let me. He has been medically trained, so he knew I couldn’t slip away like that. So he kept me talking. He would say, “Are you awake? This is as much for me as it is for you.” He kept me alive. He kept me on this earth.

We hunkered down and hugged each other for warmth. ... At that time, I honestly had given up hope that we would be rescued, and I thought we would die. Adam kept reassuring me, so I have to thank him for that. He also made sure I didn’t fall asleep. We told each other everything about our lives.

While I was up there and unconscious, I had this thought that I was dead and that I was just a spirit. I thought I was just there and no longer alive. When I realized I was actually alive, I knew I had to take care of Adam, and I knew that had to be my goal, so I tried to think about that. I knew I had to hold on to Adam and lower my heart rate and keep moving my fingers and toes so I didn’t lose them.

When I started to lose hope, I was at peace with myself. I was ready to move on from this life, and I was kind of happy with it. I wasn’t going to make it, but I was going to just hold on and see what happened. If I slipped away, I would have just been happy and at peace with myself. I kept fighting, but I was quite content with that thought.

There were a lot of noises, but all I heard was Adam grunting every time I moved. I would hear that, and I couldn’t smell anything. Three hours in, we thought we heard something, but it wasn’t anyone. It wasn’t rescuers. After five hours, these two (hikers) — Beth and Sam — came up the ravine, and we kept yelling “Help!” I think that was a godsend. That was when I knew that I would be all right and safe. I starting thinking of taking a shower and not the end of my life.

They were with us for two hours before other rescuers came, tied ropes to us and took us down on our backs. We had to walk for about 20 minutes to a shed, and at that shed there was a Bobcat that was waiting for us, and we took that down the rest of the way. When we got to safety, they put blankets on us and I fell asleep very warm and at peace.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And it's DUMB-ASSES like those that are forcing NH Fish & Game toward financial failure (since it is for some reason up to NHF&G to pay for these rescues with my hunting license fees instead of conservation efforts :furious:). While I'm glad they're safe, it's shit like this story that really pisses me off and EVERY DOLLAR should be recouped from these idiots.

What an irritating story. We've had a few storms already. During the first two or three the temps were 0 - 20 degrees, so sll of the snow was super dry powder. The last storm thru there had temps in the upper 20's lower thirties with much heavier and wetter snow.

"That was our first mistake." No. Their first mistake was trying to hike one of the hardest (if not the hardest) mountains on the east coast during winter. "(We) were not familiar with Mount Washington at all". Really?? Screw it, let's go hiking! I hear that little Mt Washington is fun and has some great views! Second mistake would be not knowing conditions from the previous storms. Then, it starts getting dark and not only do you continue, but you split up??

Lucky for them Darwin was just giving a bitch slap and not a knockout punch.:hammer:

Sorry if I sound bitter about the situation, but just do a search for Mount Washington winter rescues. It's bad enough in the summer, as fast as storms can move in up there, but you are only putting SAR lives in danger by not having a clue WTF is up during winter.

Rant over.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To be clear on something, NH does (finally) bill the rescued party(ies) back for the rescue to try to recover some of the funds, but they never get it all. Before I left the house this morning the news was talking about the state's plan to sell a SAR insurance card each year. If you have one, (and were adequately prepared), no charge. If not- watch out.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good point Davenet,

You just cann't fix stupid, as they say. You point out the lack of basic knowledge and common sence these folks seem to have today. And it is way to common.

Regards, Kirk

Good point Davenet,

You just cann't fix stupid, as they say. You point out the lack of basic knowledge and common sence these folks seem to have today. And it is way to common.

Regards, Kirk

I've lived in the Mt. Washington Valley all my life and something like this happens pretty much without fail every year.

I have no idea what these guys were doing up there in those conditions. There was a considerable avalanche risk and it looks like one of the guys was wearing jeans. Who goes out in the snow in jeans...let alone climb Mt. Washington in them. I often ski at Wildcat Mountain (across the road from Mt. Washington) and the weather there is pretty crazy. Even with the proper equipment it still gets cold and can come from nowhere. I've been skiing in 50MPH sustained winds and -30F temps a few times. It can be pretty crazy in the open but it's okay in the trees. The problem is that Mt. Washington doesn't have many trees at the summit.

Smarten up folks. This stuff happens every year because people just don't understand what they're getting into.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is from this morning. More idiots from last weekend.

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/4-...ton/-/9857858/24017726/-/8ls2qdz/-/index.html

"PINKHAM NOTCH, N.H. —Four people from a Pennsylvania university are recovering after they became disoriented while descending New Hampshire's Mount Washington in below-zero temperatures and 95 mph wind gusts and sought help.

They were part of an organization called “Quest,” an outdoors group, that included 15 people from Bloomsburg University hiking the mountain, known for its changeable weather conditions, Sunday afternoon. Ten made it to the 6,288-foot summit and began descending in rapidly deteriorating conditions. The four became separated from the rest and faced low visibility and blizzard-like weather. They tried to dig into snow for shelter and activated a GPS satellite messenger device.
New Hampshire's Fish and Game Department got their message and called state police and the U.S. Forest Service, which coordinated teams to find them. Some of the region's strongest mountaineers hiked up the mountain's Lion Head Trail and were then shuttled up the mountain's auto road by snow vehicles, which helped bring the hikers back. Organizations that helped included the Mountain Rescue Service, the Appalachian Mountain Club, the Harvard Mountaineering Club and the Mount Washington Observatory.
All were brought down by 3:30 a.m. Monday and taken to hospitals as a precaution. The four, all from Pennsylvania, are Wayne Ebling, 59, Cressona; Rhea Mitchell, 22, Danville; Andrew Snyder, 22, York; and Kelly Sloan, 33, Bloomsburg.
"This rescue effort, in some of Mount Washington's worst weather, was an enormous success that saved lives," said Forest Service Snow Ranger Christopher Joosen. "It also was another example of volunteer teams working together with federal and state agencies to help mountaineers who are lost and hurt. Each organization played a critical role to the extent that lacking any of their contributions, this mission may have ended very differently."
Back in Pennsylvania, friends of the people who were rescued said they were shocked to hear about the news.
"My roommate's up there,” said Adam Engel. “Before he left I told him to be safe and have fun."
"I'm super glad they're alright,” said Tony DiBiase, a Quest member. “It's definitely a scary situation. Mount Washington is definitely a difficult mountain to try and hike up."

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/4-...24017726/-/8ls2qdz/-/index.html#ixzz2r3e6OMnY

This is from this morning. More idiots from last weekend.

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/4-...ton/-/9857858/24017726/-/8ls2qdz/-/index.html

"PINKHAM NOTCH, N.H. —Four people from a Pennsylvania university are recovering after they became disoriented while descending New Hampshire's Mount Washington in below-zero temperatures and 95 mph wind gusts and sought help.

They were part of an organization called “Quest,” an outdoors group, that included 15 people from Bloomsburg University hiking the mountain, known for its changeable weather conditions, Sunday afternoon. Ten made it to the 6,288-foot summit and began descending in rapidly deteriorating conditions. The four became separated from the rest and faced low visibility and blizzard-like weather. They tried to dig into snow for shelter and activated a GPS satellite messenger device.
New Hampshire's Fish and Game Department got their message and called state police and the U.S. Forest Service, which coordinated teams to find them. Some of the region's strongest mountaineers hiked up the mountain's Lion Head Trail and were then shuttled up the mountain's auto road by snow vehicles, which helped bring the hikers back. Organizations that helped included the Mountain Rescue Service, the Appalachian Mountain Club, the Harvard Mountaineering Club and the Mount Washington Observatory.
All were brought down by 3:30 a.m. Monday and taken to hospitals as a precaution. The four, all from Pennsylvania, are Wayne Ebling, 59, Cressona; Rhea Mitchell, 22, Danville; Andrew Snyder, 22, York; and Kelly Sloan, 33, Bloomsburg.
"This rescue effort, in some of Mount Washington's worst weather, was an enormous success that saved lives," said Forest Service Snow Ranger Christopher Joosen. "It also was another example of volunteer teams working together with federal and state agencies to help mountaineers who are lost and hurt. Each organization played a critical role to the extent that lacking any of their contributions, this mission may have ended very differently."
Back in Pennsylvania, friends of the people who were rescued said they were shocked to hear about the news.
"My roommate's up there,” said Adam Engel. “Before he left I told him to be safe and have fun."
"I'm super glad they're alright,” said Tony DiBiase, a Quest member. “It's definitely a scary situation. Mount Washington is definitely a difficult mountain to try and hike up."

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/4-...24017726/-/8ls2qdz/-/index.html#ixzz2r3e6OMnY

Well, to be fair it sounds like they had a slight idea of how to survive. I bet they could have survived the night if it had come to that.

95MPH winds can come out of almost nowhere up there, it's pretty crazy. I really don't have any desire to climb Mt. Washington (and especially not in the winter) but some people do for some reason and it doesn't always go according to plan unfortunately. They had equipment that aided in their survival and they were lucky that the MWOBS was able to assist. The MWOBS does have a pretty sweet cat though!

yuZ3WWE.jpg

VnWqaxk.jpg

ahOw1dn.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I go up in there spring to snowboard Tucks and even in warm temps that place is a death sentence or a high potential for injury.

I still have recurring dreams about driving my Tucker to the bowl. Wild stuff. If you every hike in on snow you will wish you had a snow cat of sorts.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To be clear on something, NH does (finally) bill the rescued party(ies) back for the rescue to try to recover some of the funds, but they never get it all. Before I left the house this morning the news was talking about the state's plan to sell a SAR insurance card each year. If you have one, (and were adequately prepared), no charge. If not- watch out.

Tis the season for dumbasses!. . .:hammer:

But the bill finally passed. http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=the-nh-hike-safe-card

Background of why: http://www.wbur.org/2014/05/06/new-hampshire-hiker-fee-rescues

I'm betting we will know how this works out within the next two months.