• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

early tucker photos

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
1944 tucker, grass valley, calif. sold new to webb moffett, ski lifts inc. seattle wa. J J tucker at the wheel.

Attachments

• tucker 1944.jpg
    tucker 1944.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,311

AdkSnowcat

Great photos!!!! This one is not as old but I thought it was a cool mid-fifties hood.

Attachments

• TuckerVA.jpg
    TuckerVA.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,291

AdkSnowcat

It was on a '54 or '55. Maybe it was a replacement hood? It is rear hinge. I think it is molded fiberglass. It's on a 443 at the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

Attachments

• TuckerVA2.jpg
    TuckerVA2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,289

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
okay, the grill is mid 60;s on and the fiberglass hoods, I believe started to show up in late 60's and then there is owners replacing damaged parts with whatever is available. thanks for posting the photos.

AdkSnowcat

Interesting! Thanks! The grill looks like the one that had been on my '66. I guess they must have had a mishap or two. The Tucker is a low hour machine donated by an electrical utility. It looks to be a really nice machine!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
found another couple tucker photos from the 40's, enjoy

Attachments

• tkr048.jpg
    tkr048.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,294
  • tkr053.jpg
    tkr053.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,290

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's interesting that there are five different styles of the same idea shown in this thread. This last one is definitely unique though- visible drive sprocket and cogs(?) on each end of the pontoon, although it is a roller track.

Is that a screw drive unit in the middle?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
It's interesting that there are five different styles of the same idea shown in this thread. This last one is definitely unique though- visible drive sprocket and cogs(?) on each end of the pontoon, although it is a roller track.

Is that a screw drive unit in the middle?

it is a track drive and you sat right over it, with skis on the sides, to keep the whole thing upright, the three are tuckers, all 1945's each one a different engine, chev 6, dodge 6 and a ford 60 hp V-8 and the one on the left, is my machine.

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and just too keep your interest, all these machines are 1946's and two of these machines still exists, one is at tucker inc, and the other is in Oregon, very private owner.

Attachments

• tkr001.jpg
    tkr001.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,281

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the colorized photo was done by the photographer and was used in a ad for tucker, i have added a black and white that was taken at the same time.

Attachments

• tkr050.jpg
    tkr050.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,218

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
a mid 1940's tucker snow machine, great detailed photo, H-D twin.

Attachments

• tkr081.jpg
    tkr081.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,199
Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
a single steering ski up front?

yes, a single ski up front and two along the side to keep it balanced with the track between them, a late thirties build. will post additional early tucker photo in the next few weeks. stay tune. and thanks for the interest

jask

another awesome pic! please keep them coming. Just as a point of distraction... that engine is a late 30s - probably 39 UL big twin flathead.... a Harley powered snow machine sounds like fun!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
you are correct about the HD engine, found another photo that dates the machine as a 1941, there is a story that Tucker tried to sell the design to HD. from all that is know about the machine, it worked fairly well, really looks like a modern snow mobile that we all know, it also could tilt for side hilling.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the single track machine with Jasper James Tucker at the wheel, notice the spiral machine in the background, moving forward with a new design.

Attachments

• jasper james tucker.jpg
    jasper james tucker.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 854

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
something a little more modern, yet i think it might be interesting, better you will be able to see it at, CATS MEOW JAMBOREE next april, they family is very committed to attending, they tell scott and i that they will also bring a new "big" tucker!

Attachments

• DSC_0564.jpg
    DSC_0564.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the ole' gal just a little bit stuck . . . I have to say- If that was to happen to me (the front end just dropping out from under me), I would have turned around and gone home.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 766
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 771
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 786

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You can still see where the pontoon rotated enough to hit the box.

Curious that the lights were removed in the B&W photos . . .

Attachments

• Rock%20and%20Roll.jpg
    Rock%20and%20Roll.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 743

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You can still see where the pontoon rotated enough to hit the box.

Curious that the lights were removed in the B&W photos . . .

The lights were added when She returned home. The crossing was during the '57 '58 winter. No lights required, 24 hours full sun. Low temps in the
-70's

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
fyi, the tucker folks are doing a nice job of preservation and bring the freighter back to operational condition. they are putting in a very serious effort to do it right, good for them.