• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

45 ton electric dump truck uses no fuel

Bannedjoe

In all actuality, this isn't far off from the toy cars we used to have as kids where you pushed them backwards to wind them up.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty cool that we now have the technology to do this, (the battery) and the motivation. Essentially very simular to hydroelectric, just turning potential energy into kinetic energy. With hydro the dam is the battery, the storage, problem is that there are a few undesirable consequences of dams as well. But battery technology is likely to change all that shortly. Amazing the rate of technological change in our lifetime.

olympicorange

….. a 10K lb. battery … what a bang. interesting bed floor for dump body, quite a unique way to lighten the load. is it safe to say that it's not really designed for flat ground , where there isn't a hill/mountain to drive down , for recharging.... gotta love technology ….:thumbup:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, let me get this straight, this truck will produce exactly the same amount of electricity going downhill as it will use going uphill, same distance?

Notice the graphic shows a LOADED truck going downhill, empty up hill. OK, what if the required situation is reversed?

Seems like a very narrow application range where the battery does not need recharging. Notice there are exactly zero electric cars on the road that claim this technology. Prolly for good reason.

Sorry folks, I am an oil and gas type of guy. :smile:

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it’s a limited application, but let’s use/test/develop it where we can! That way it will pave the way for other applications! I drive an EV and it’s great for our families second vehicle, 265mi range, charge at home, cost to drive is between 2-4¢ a mi to drive, where as my F150 is 11-14¢ mi to drive
a8dc7d55b8bf29cf866200a7ea583111.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
I always thought that Friction made perpetual motion impossible ! When did the rules change ? :hammer:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always thought that Friction made perpetual motion impossible ! When did the rules change ? :hammer:

This isn't friction or perpetual energy. The loaded truck going downhill produces more energy than the empty truck requires to return to the top.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Some people hyping this "new concept" need a basic course in thermodynamics and heat transfer.

This is an "open" system where potential energy (the added load @ the top of the hill) is introduced as an external energy source.
The overall total energy of the system is thereby increased, the amount of "work" done remains the same and the efficiency of the overall cycle thereby decreases.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Even if perpetual motion did exist, it would be totally useless. The minute you tried to make it power anything adn make it do some work, you would add friction and that would be the end of that. :th_lmao::th_lmao:

As a gear head and loving all things with wheels, I do find that truck interesting in the concept and expectations.

Long live gas and oil. The energy of America. :smile:

alryA

When I was a RR carman, guys there said that one loaded train produced enough power to pull two empties up the same hill. Speaking of an electric RR systems of course. Not free energy but much less wasted on brakes.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Amazing the charge and discharge rates these batteries are capable of, not to mention the capacity is huge as well.

Not many years ago this sort of dump truck would be simply impossible to make.

Lol it is a good thing the loaded portion of the cycle is down hill!!!

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Some people hyping this "new concept" need a basic course in thermodynamics and heat transfer.

This is an "open" system where potential energy (the added load @ the top of the hill) is introduced as an external energy source.
The overall total energy of the system is thereby increased, the amount of "work" done remains the same and the efficiency of the overall cycle thereby decreases.

Exactly.
However,
The work of loading the truck is the same as before, so it does save energy? Yes.

However, does it save enough to recover the cost of engineering and construction of this very limited use system?
Hardly

snowstorm

GOLD Site Supporter
How much energy went into the materials and construction of the batteries and how long will they last ??? Oh and I suppose recycling/disposal costs??

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
I would guess that when most technological changes happen the early R&D models aren't necessarily 'cost effective'. Doesn't mean tech advancement isn't worth pursuing, imo.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, like the success we have had with nuclear technology.:shitHitFan:

Sorry but that logic doesn't justify unicorn farts.
I don't mind what technologies we develop, even unicorns. I don't think my taxes or government should be part of it.