• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anybody knowledgable with older VW engines?

JaredBates

I recently bought a 1987 VW Golf GT with the 1.8l 4 cylinder and its ran strong until today. I'd pulled off my road onto the highway and when I shifted into 3rd and put my foot on the gas I got little to no throttle response and it started choking and bucking so I pulled off to the side, shut it off and turned it back over a few minutes later. It didn't want to start at first but when it did it revved up to nearly 5k then died. I managed to get it going, babying it in 2nd, to my house where it revved up again, then choked and bucked, then promptly died in my driveway. Does anybody have any thoughts on what could be causing it? Any advice is greatly appreciated

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
First thing I would check would be fuel filter. May also have lost the pump or have water in fuel.