• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NEW SNOWCAT COMING TO AMERICA

Joshua

Off topic,
Reading this post it occurred to me just but two engines in a cat one for each track. No jokes please but one of my cars is a Smart For Two that has a 72 hp engine. Now put two of these engines in a cat and they can run with out the complicated drive system? I don't have a great knowledge of how they work now but could this kind of system be adapted?
Food for thought,
Josh

Not trying to poo hoo your idea but actually most snowcats have a very simple drive system that is very efficient at providing steady stable power to both tracks and still allow for steering too. Very few powered modes of transportation allow for a engine to directly couple to the final drive mechanism without some sort of transmission and or gearbox and most snowcats are very similar to automotive. Even the Smart for Two has a clutch and transmission and i assume some sort of differential or transaxle?

Snowcats or any snow vehicle has to overcome a large amount of rolling resistance that greatly varies depending on the type and amount of snow. The transmission, wether an auto,stick,hydrostatic or variable(belt driven), allows the engine to stay in it's power band though a wide range of speed and power requirements of the vehicle. Two engines would require two drive systems and I can't really see where that would be any more efficient?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as a side note the us army tryed that also with the m 53 apc those were the predicessor to the m113 they had 2 302 inline sixes attached to hydromatic transmissions and the army had nothing but problems with them they were impossable to keep going in a streight line for any time

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I wonder how hard it would be for throttle control?

I guess boats use 2 or more motors :)

I had a 1952 "Otter" and before I drove into the water, I would lower a propeller, then drive into the water and disengage the tracks. The prop assembly was able to move back and forth which gave it good steering.

Did 9 knots in calm water, 25 mph on land!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the other thing everyone has overlooked is the cost of 2 engines and 2 transmissions

trackmaster

Just thought id let you know I sent my thiokol 201 9 tooth sprockets to mountain services in col for a face lift ill let you know how thay come out in about 10 days.