• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Are You Thinking About Adopting A Greyhound?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I had adopted Greyhound, and she was one of the sweetest dogs you would ever encounter in life. If you want a devoted pet, consider giving one of these wonderful animals a second chance at life. You won't regret it, and they will thank you every day with love and devotion. Junk...

adopt a Greyhound in the Northeast....... http://www.greyhoundangelsadoption.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0m3WQZgCps"]YouTube - The Race - Greyhound Adoption[/ame]

Attachments

• scan (409 x 600).jpg
    scan (409 x 600).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 82

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I may be adopting this guy on Saturday. Not a Greyhound but I think you've had a Weimaraner before.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I still have 2 Weimeraners..... great dogs, however, they don't like being left alone. Ferris, the male is the one with the rose. This picture was taken by his previous owner. The second picture is Star, his sister, who I have had since a pup. They are 9 years old and from the same litter...

Attachments

• Pretty Ferrous+rose.jpg
    Pretty Ferrous+rose.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Starr2.jpg
    Starr2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 79

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree they need to be part of the pack. I still have Spud (Lab X Weimaraner) and Ginger but Spud's days are limited and since I'm pretty much stuck at home carrying him around I figured it is as good a time as any to break in a puppy. The puppy I hope to adopt is only 6 months old.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I may be adopting this guy on Saturday. Not a Greyhound but I think you've had a Weimaraner before.

Well, it looks like this isn't going to happen. It looks like the fact I have a hidden fence AND a regular fence in my dog area is too cruel and the fact that I wanted to crate train him outside of our bedroom was also too cruel.

This guy is in a rescue program. I hope they have good luck finding a dream home for him.

Now I remember why I went with "pound dogs" last time. Pure Breed breeders are the biggest kook balls around. No wonder so many pure bred dogs have problems.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, it looks like this isn't going to happen. It looks like the fact I have a hidden fence AND a regular fence in my dog area is too cruel and the fact that I wanted to crate train him outside of our bedroom was also too cruel.

How ridiculous. Crate training is nothing more than reviving a primordial instinct in any canine. Wolves still live in dens, yes? How about appreciating the fact that a dog has to be domesticated\trained to some level to be a functioning member of the household\family, versus an out-of-control PITA that will eventually wind up back at the rescue, albeit probably more dysfunctional (and therefore unplaceable) than before. Dogs ain't humans and the dopes that think otherwise drive me nuts. Yes, I love doggies, but they have to know their place in the heirarchy or they'll turn into a four legged disaster.

On the other hand, I remember when I met the breeder who sold me my first Ridgeback. I kinda had an attitude ("I don't want the dog in bed with me.") She took that to mean Bert would wind up in a doghouse all the time and neglected. She waved "Buh Bye!" to me. We patched things up later and eventually became friends after she sold me Bert. He was a great dog, an abundantly happy, carefree dog and a crate-trained dog. I was very fortunate to have him 12 years, but I still miss him lots.

Attachments

• HM51046705.jpg
    HM51046705.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Bert.jpg
    Bert.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 66

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dogs ain't humans and the dopes that think otherwise drive me nuts. Yes, I love doggies, but they have to know their place in the heirarchy or they'll turn into a four legged disaster.

Well said. I think it's a shame that this dog is going to be stuck with some old fart retirees that can't run the crap out of him. If Spud can talk, I bet he would vouch for me. Spud's been across the USA by car twice and lived in Florida with me. He's chased everything he could hunt in between.

I had to use the hidden fence in combination with a 5 foot regular fence because he was climbing the fence to chase the coyotes and neighbors cats. It worked awesome and after the first few jolts he rarely ever tested the fence.

As for the crate training, I only crate train them long enough for them to build up their bladder capacity. Then they get free run of the house. Apparently, that is too cruel. :pat:

Bert was a beautiful dog jpr! I inquired with a local Ridgeback breeder but they wanted $1600 for a non-show dog. That was too much for me.

I think I found a Ridgeback/Pointer cross at a local pound and will check him out on Saturday.

I'm not a breed snob. I just want big floppy ears, a short coat, and lots of energy because I love doing stuff with my dogs. I've been gaining weight since Spud got too old to run and I need a friend to do stuff with.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I should clarify, the rescue people said the dog needed to be crate trained but in your bedroom. They actually didn't give me a chance to even agree to do that. I just mentioned that I would be crate training him and leaving him in the basement with Spud. Spud's too old to deal with stairs now and I just can't carry him down two flights of stairs in the middle of the night. I kind of want someone down there with Spud.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, PB. That grey-faced Spud looks like a real heartbreaker to the beeotches:wink:.

Bert had so much personality, and he LOVED to chase cats. He chased my Mom's cat up the drapes (Mom was not pleased). My neighbor had a cat which would taunt poor Bert by strutting right on the opposite side of Bert's fence. Well, one day, Bert figured out a way under the fence, and the next you see is a terrified kitty, clawing her way up an aluminum downspout. It took hours to get her off the roof, but she deserved it. I could've sworn I heard Bert laughing quietly to himself over that one.

One thing I discovered about crate training is that it is easier in your bedroom (I guess Bert was soothed by the sounds of my snoring) or when other dogs are in the same room with the crated dog.

Ridgebacks might be the breed for you, PB, but just keep in mind they have a VERY strong chase instinct. Not good around little kids who may run away from the dog. Ridgebacks also have a pretty independent streak in 'em, so they need to be fenced or on a leash (unless you're on the Serengeti hunting wild boar).