• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC 1200 VS LMC 1500

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would find it interesting to compare LMC 1200 and 1500 Model snowcats. Mtntopper, as an owner of both of these machines you commented as to a preferrence towards the 1200. Hows comes?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The 1200 weighs about 6300 lbs while the 1500 is about 4800 lbs. Both have 36 inch wide tracks. The snow psi flotation is supposedly much better by stats with the 1500. I am not sure that is a real world fact that means it will go through more snow or climb steeper terrain. It seems to me the 1200 will do just as well or better under most normal snow conditions and terrain. I have operated both of them in similiar conditons and terrain and can not see any major advantage of the 1500 over the 1200 except for the faster ground speed and roomier cab.

I like the balance and controlled feel of the LMC 1200 as it heavier and about 2 feet longer than the 1500. It does not have the top speed of the 1500 but it shifts and pulls much harder with the same size engine and transmission. The 1500 to me seems like a boat that does not want to get up and plane on the water (deep snow) at times. This might be because it has less length of track in the snow and is geared higher. I want to look back to see if it (1500) is dragging an anchor in the deep snow sometimes.

The looks and cab design are more modern on the 1500, but it just is not built like the 1200 for metal sturdiness and long life. Many 1500s have major body rust within a few years of useage. Body panels and the frame strength are not equal to the 1200. I would question using a plow on the 1500 even though it is a common practice. If you are considering buying any unit with a plow, always check the frame for cracks and all frame welds for damage. The rear passenger seat has very little leg room in the 1200. The total cab space in the 1500 is much better and more spacious but leaves a smaller outside cargo deck for use than the 1200.

The 1500 has asymetrical tracks, wider on the outside than on the inside of the track while the 1200 has symeterical tracks. I just can't get use to this arrangement as the outside always seem a little too loose when adjusted properly. I also think you may also get more idler tire/wheel problems and wear with this arrangement of the track. The track cleats on the 1200 are heavier and taller which may account for its ability in the snow. I believe there are 58 grouser cleats on each track of the 1500 LMC and 77 on each side of the 1200 LMC.

The 1200 has more ground clearance and does not seem to drag as much undercarriage in the snow. This may also be another reason the 1200 goes well in the snow along with the longer length of tracks and larger grousers.

Both are about equal when you must work on them. The dash on the 1500 has 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound box. It is almost impossible to put it together and not have a wire break, get pinched, or just come loose from where it should be. The heater core and heater motor on the 1200 are very hard to get to if you have a problem with them. Other than that they are about equal when working on them. Checking the fluid levels on the 1500 is also more time consuming because of the large one piece console and small covers you must remove to get to the fluids areas and dipsticks.

Just my observations and opinions!!!! I still like having both to use. The wife likes the 1500 better. Must be a female thing or maybe it is the additonal cab room, air ride front seats, and optional rear seat heater that is in the 1500 LMC!!! I just want to go over and through the snow with the least amount of effort.:thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
WOW. Now thats an excellent review between the two units. If the 1500 is dragging its belly then the 1200 even if heavier will perform much better. Dragging the belly on any snowcat is like trying to swim with an anchor attached to your waist. It really kills performance in deep snow (powder). Thanks Bill this helps me out alot.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you Mtntopper for writing this review. I have looked closely at 1500s but have never had a chance to operate one. Now I really want to take one for a spin. (Not that I am a "girlyman")

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
Thank you Mtntopper for writing this review. I have looked closely at 1500s but have never had a chance to operate one. Now I really want to take one for a spin. (Not that I am a "girlyman")

Our 1500 does have creature comforts not found in our 1200 LMC. You can always appreciate things that make it more comfortable and that is one of the plus features of our 1500.
Come on up to northern WY sometime and you can take a spin in our 1500 in the snow and see if it is the machine for you. It is always fun to try a new and different machine and be able to decide for your self.:beer:

valbrjotur

Hi. I have LMC 1500 1988 model and I need repair - maintenance , manuals for 1500 our 1200 LMC , approx 1987 models ? preferably online (download)
Thanks . Valli

ben2go

Good comparison.

Hi. I have LMC 1500 1988 model and I need repair - maintenance , manuals for 1500 our 1200 LMC , approx 1987 models ? preferably online (download)
Thanks . Valli

You'll get more help if you start a thread and title it with your specific issue.

Cletis

Very good comparison.

Would be cool for those of you that have had many models like Mtntopper to continue with a comparison to see which snow cat you ended up as the top pick.

Kinda like they do the auto, fourwheeler, motorcycle reviews.

Cletis

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Very good comparison.

Would be cool for those of you that have had many models like Mtntopper to continue with a comparison to see which snow cat you ended up as the top pick.

I think this would be a great idea as well.. although I have to say ... I think we all refer to boggie from time-to-time... and I think this question has been answered before ... and a reason why boggie's avatar says what it does at the bottom... :whistling:

But, I think it would be good to go through the whole discussion ... that shows us actually getting to the answer that we already all know... :flowers:

(yea, yea, different needs, snow conditions, depths, # passengers, all factors but there's still always one king of the hill...The Thiokol 600 series...perched below in all it's glory :clap:)

Attachments

• SnowKing_Thiokol_600.jpg
    SnowKing_Thiokol_600.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,167
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 2,263

tomelroy

Have not got my hands on a 600 series (yet), but the 4t series is very similar. The 602 and the 4t4 have a 5 man style cab. Both have full length doors with solid latching mechanism. the 1200 and the 1500 both have versions that had problems with the door latches. the 1200 for over 20 years had a half door that are very difficult to get in and out of. Unless you are BO or LUKE DUKE. I think that's why Thiokol picked orange, to honor the general lee! The rear passengers in a 5 man cab 1200 are not going to be comfortable unless they sit 45 degrees sideways. The rear seat must have been designed for kids under 12 years old. There is no way thiokol engineers ever sat back there. It's strange that the 4t/600 series worked so well and they went to a half door with a cramped back seat. LMC finally went back to a full door in the early 80's on the 1200, but the 5 man cab 1200 never got the rear leg room of a 4t/600. The 1500 is better for the rear passenger, but still not as comfy as the 4t/600 and the steel cabs are a bad, bad idea.

ben2go

I think this would be a great idea as well.. although I have to say ... I think we all refer to boggie from time-to-time... and I think this question has been answered before ... and a reason why boggie's avatar says what it does at the bottom... :whistling:

But, I think it would be good to go through the whole discussion ... that shows us actually getting to the answer that we already all know... :flowers:

(yea, yea, different needs, snow conditions, depths, # passengers, all factors but there's still always one king of the hill...The Thiokol 600 series...perched below in all it's glory :clap:)

What a majestic creature. :biggrin: