• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is sexual harassment?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm seriously asking, what is sexual harassment?
I suppose it's different things to different people but it seems we are headed down a slippery slope.
Bush 41 patted a girls butt. She called it sexual harassment. Maybe there was more to it but that is all I read. During a pic, Bush patted her butt during a photo session.
Is that harassment?

Is an unwanted kiss on the lipps sexual Harassment? Mixed signals happen. Used to be a slap on the face would get the point across and all move on.

Flirting used to be a way of finding if someone was interested or not. The way we are going it appears flirting could be seen as sexual harassment.

I know a hard fast definition would be hard to put down on paper but somethings gotta give.

What do you think?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose it's different things to different people but it seems we are headed down a slippery slope.
Bush 41 patted a girls butt. She called it sexual harassment. Maybe there was more to it but that is all I read. During a pic, Bush patted her butt during a photo session.
Is that harassment?

Is an unwanted kiss on the lipps sexual Harassment? Mixed signals happen. Used to be a slap on the face would get the point across and all move on.

Flirting used to be a way of finding if someone was interested or not. The way we are going it appears flirting could be seen as sexual harassment.

I know a hard fast definition would be hard to put down on paper but somethings gotta give.

What do you think?

Good question. Apparently in many cases it amounts to remembering something that is serious today that you blew off as flirting 25 years ago.

I'm glad I'm 80 and no longer in the race.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry I forgot who this was supposed to have happened to.
(I will try to find out.) It happened here in Arizona to a woman who worked for some low level bureaucrat. She said that years ago the man: "blew her a kiss," then made unwelcome remarks about her legs.
Even if true that hardly amounts to rape. My sister said that things like that cheapen it when a woman who was really raped makes a compliant. (Because), things like being, "Blown a kiss," are hardly anything close to being raped.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good question. Apparently in many cases it amounts to remembering something that is serious today that you blew off as flirting 25 years ago.

I'm glad I'm 80 and no longer in the race.
So true Jimbo. Clinton got away with everything because Monica was barely of age. A 22 yr old can sure be swayed by a 50 yr old president. Abuse of power and sexual abuse no doubt.

But now, like Cat said, blowing a kiss or commenting on a ladies legs is far from sexual abuse. Crude perhaps but not abuse.

A guy that I thought was a friend commented to my wife "You give the the signal and I'm in your pants." The first time she laughed it off and did not mention it to me. The 2nd time she told me. Was that sexual abuse? Hardly. It was a guy being crude and trying to get in my wife's pants. I have a feeling some women today would call it abuse and try to sue or press legal action. Sexual abuse to me would be forcing yourself on a woman or man who does not reciprocate and the abuser does not stop or quit the undesired action.

But then what if the woman reciprocates because she is in fear of losing her job if she does not ....situations like that sure complicate the judgement call of sexual abuse.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The definition is narrowing, there is no doubt about that. I remember a number of years ago when we started a large high voltage project at a local IBM manufacturing plant, orientation told us staring a woman, you were not speaking directly to, for longer then 3 seconds was considered leering and you would be subject to potential removal from the site.

I dunno what the answer is, but I too am glad the race is over.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The definition is narrowing, there is no doubt about that. I remember a number of years ago when we started a large high voltage project at a local IBM manufacturing plant, orientation told us staring a woman, you were not speaking directly to, for longer then 3 seconds was considered leering and you would be subject to potential removal from the site.

I dunno what the answer is, but I too am glad the race is over.

Many years ago, when I actually worked for a living, I had to take a course on "Employee Relations". Part of that course was sexual harassment, what constituted it and how to deal with it. Some of the stuff, like the the staring/leering thing, seemed so petty that I asked the instructor, "If I walk in to the office and say to my secretary, "You're looking pretty today", is that sexual harassment?". His answer was "Yes it is if she objects to the remark". So, basically sexual harassment is anything that the female objects to for whatever reason.

What was considered acceptable behavior 10, 20 30 years ago is not acceptable in this day and age. Like others, I'm so glad that, at my age, I don't have to bother with that stuff any more.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
The man I posted about is Rep. Shooter.
There is to much to post so I only put in highlights:

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/201...-capitol-michellle-ugenti-rita-athena-salman/

Shortly after the other lobbyist left, Shooter put his hand on Rodriguez’s knee, she said. She moved away from him and left as soon as she could after that, she said, adding that she felt paralyzed and overwhelmed.
Terrible being paralyzed for a hand on the knee!
said she heard Shooter use “suggestive and sexually inappropriate language” during the 2017 legislative session
GASP he said naughty words to her!
Yes some allegations are more severe.
But I am wondering how many of them happened and how many are from women (and some men) jumping on the bandwagon? Or do you think that doesn't happen?
By the way I think that Franken was just action like he was going for a feel.
She was wearing a FLAK Jacket but he is such a hypocritical A**Hole that I think the worst of him.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that harassment?

What do you think?

:slider3: Im going to jump ahead and bring in does anyone understand "third party sexual harassment " thats when someone over hears a conversation that is not about them but is offended ! I heard about this working for Guberment.... and your not safe around other men if your doing it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:slider3: Im going to jump ahead and bring in does anyone understand "third party sexual harassment " thats when someone over hears a conversation that is not about them but is offended ! I heard about this working for Guberment.... and your not safe around other men if your doing it.
I have heard of overhearing a converstion being offensive, as in if whites are talking negative about blacks and a black hear that. Or two men talking crudely about sex and a female coworker overhears. Both can be offensive but not sexual harassment. To be harassed the action would have to be towards you in my humble opinion.