• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

So I want to buy this tank I found...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So what does one have to do to satisfy the Government you capable of safely owning a tank???:whistling:

Found an old M22, and it can be saved from the torch for probably less than it worth as scrap. It runs I am told. But before I go look I need to know if can be legally owned, and what is required for ownership...

The person who has it is getting the "eye" buy the ATF....he is supposed to bve cutting it up before thenew year, but hasn't....

Any help is sincerly appericiated!

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Should not be an issue with owning it as long as the armaments are disabled or removed. There are a ton of them that go to shows and mock battles.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i think all you have to do is weld up the gun and remove the fire control so the gun can no longer be fired that would be gool to owne one

Trakternut

Just don't let Mulie get ahold of it or he'll be posting pix and tellling us how his wife thinks he looks good in it. Darn good thing Bobcat rescued his Deuce from Mulie's clutches in time. :yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Back when I did pawn shop software programming I had a pawn shop owner want to trade me a German panzer IV tank for my services. It was freaking HUGE in comparison. It had about 30 grenade launchers around it, making it look it had big spikes. I think it weighed around 40k or 50k and hardly had enough power to move itself. After learning it would actually "Cost" me money to take it (moving it to my house was going to be several thousand dollars - then what was I going to do with it, too big to move again), I passed on the deal. I think he still has it.

Mtn-Track

It all depends how the guy that currently has it actually aquired it. Most of these were sold for scrap and/or a requirement that they were scrapped within a certain time frame. Usually the scrap requirement had a mandated 'proof' that it had actually been done. Depending how it was sold to this guy, he may have been required to cut it up and didn't. If that's the case, anyone cought in posession of it past the scrap-date will be in trouble along with the guy that was supposed to cut it up. Another possibility is that it was once "loaned" to a VFW or something and they decided to get rid or it, in which case it still belongs to the govt.

If he can't show the paperwork on how it was obtained then you might steer clear of it. The breach-block is the controlled part on it so I'm sure it's long since been removed prior to this guy getting a hold of it and the barrels probably been jacked-up beyone useable condition (general requirement). Other than all this, you CAN own a tank.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The deal is he is supposed to cut it for the guy who holds the paper, and it expires(?) at the end of the year. I just think it's a shame to see it cut up, when it sure poses no danger for our country or our govenment any more. It is at this point it's simply a curio or relic, and should be left alone to it owners dicrssion. But such is apparently not the case.:hammer:

Can you tell me if there is any way it's fate can be changed? Sounds to me like an ATF agent is justifiing his badge.

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,

What would the Panzer IV be worth today? I bet alot if runs, maybe $100K but not if the government doesn't trust anyone to own it. What a bunch of BULL SH%&. IF the armament is done in properly it poses no more theat than a bull dozer could.

Trying a website called Steel Soldiers, at Bobcat's suggestion, but cann't access it yet....

REgards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A little research of the M22 shows it had a spotty reliability record and might be a fix or watch it rust project.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or a static display...

Or scrap at $240/ton. I read the same about them, but they are small and look like the real deal... haulable with a PU. And could be worth more some day??? Don't know

Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Neat. I would love to have one. I have just the place on my front lawn to display one. :D

This thread is not complete without a pic of the M22

Attachments

• m22tank.jpg
    m22tank.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 580

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have enough money its my understanding you can buy anything. :smile:

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

M-18 Hellcat The M18 Hellcat was built by Buick in 1944. We have reason to believe this unit actually saw combat in the Battle of the Bulge and after. This is the Ferrari of the US WWII tanks and is still the fastest US production tank ever built. We have 2 Hellcat’s and this is the nicest one of the two, and literally the best of the lot that came over from Europe. This one was handpicked. We are working on finishing the C4 Engine, muffler system, a few hoses and the dash. It will be in mint condition. If someone would like it battle ready, that can be done. A lot of extra’s will be included in the sale anyway.
Price: $445,000.00
new.gif

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
This would be my choice for "bugout" transportation.

http://www.armyjeeps.net/RunHuey/1966_huey_uh1h_gun_ship.htm
1966 Huey UH-1H Gun Ship , Complete & Running ( NO PAPERWORK )
This is a really good looking huey very complete in and out, starts and runs great but no Paperwork to fly it, Follow links below to see the initial startup after rebuild from both inside and outside the craft.
rh2.jpg

rh1.jpg

lead.jpg

rh9.jpg

rh8.jpg

rh6.jpg

rh5.jpg

rh4.jpg

rh3.jpg

rh11.jpg

rh10.jpg

nose1.jpg

Nose art added 6-17-11
nose2.jpg

Nose art added 6-17-11

Mtn-Track

The deal is he is supposed to cut it for the guy who holds the paper, and it expires(?) at the end of the year. I just think it's a shame to see it cut up, when it sure poses no danger for our country or our govenment any more. It is at this point it's simply a curio or relic, and should be left alone to it owners dicrssion. But such is apparently not the case.:hammer:

Can you tell me if there is any way it's fate can be changed? Sounds to me like an ATF agent is justifiing his badge.

Regards, Kirk

This sounds more like the guy holding the paperwork got this M22 through a private sale of still-govt-owned equipment. It was probably "on loan" to a museum or VFW(?) when it was discovered 'missing'. They came after it and are forcing him to pay for the destruction of it with a time requirement to prove it's been done (but not happened yet) under the watchful eye of an alphabet agency.

Sad, but it's probably destined for a Chinease steel mill before the end of the year.:sad:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

Call your Senator, he may be able get an exemption for it if you plan on restoring it for historic reasons.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kane,

IF I were to run it, I guarantee you it would get a dose of E10!!!

I use it in my 1962 Snowtrac...

:letitsnow::letitsnow::letitsnow:
Christmas2010041.jpg

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Kane,

IF I were to run it, I guarantee you it would get a dose of E10!!!

I use it in my 1962 Snowtrac...

:letitsnow::letitsnow::letitsnow:
Christmas2010041.jpg

My 1962 absolutely despises E10!

Attachments

• 62 Biscayne.JPG
    62 Biscayne.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 32-4.JPG
    32-4.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 502.jpg
    502.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 298

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,

I guess you'll have to drive it over to Iowa to get some of the good stuff!!:whistling:

Thanks for the GREAT LINK Cowboy. Real man's toys!!

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok,

Now then before the thread drift we were talking about tanks, the armored ones tracks in you face with a really BIG GUN...

Kirk

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok,

Now then before the thread drift we were talking about tanks, the armored ones tracks in you face with a really BIG GUN...

Kirk

there is a way of disassembling it as scrap, buying it as scrap,and reassembling it, the dam things are large welded steel plates and panels and probably not worth the time and money to do something like that:yum:,that said, if you could buy it after they see it as scrap, in reusable pieces you could restore and paint them before assembly(going to restore it any way?) hope the guy who dismantles it has a good plasma cutter:whistling: you would really have to want that particular tank:w00t2:and a lot of money,i think you could buy one cheaper that has the correct paper work:wink:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I buy it I am planning on a resale. I just want a reasonable finders fee is all. I do not want it to be cut up, and it should be in the experianced hands of a loving home, by someone who cares about it's history, even though in combat it has very little. It is still of the "great war" and should be preserved......And it's just so damn cute, the scale of it. It could fit in most garages. That just has to have some appeal with some one. I have an eye for such things if bought cheap enough....

Kirk

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I doubt the ATF will allow it to get in to private hands here in the US unless as Fogtender said (get your senator involved)as they have nothing better to do,now if it was being sent to Mexico they may let it walk....:yum::yum: