• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Something is under my trailer and it stinks

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't know if it is a skunk, smells like it could be but not that strong. Could be a stray cat, a possum or even a raccoon.

I have found where it is getting in and out, I have found roughly where in the blanket of the trailer it is staying. I have a live trap with a long rope tied to it.

Do I set the live trap outside, the closest I get to the opening is about 15 to 20 feet. Or do I close the hole up and set the trap under the trailer? I am figuring if it can't get out it eventually would force itself into the trap under the trailer and get caught but if a skunk could spray up a mess. If I leave the trap outside I may catch something else.

Any thoughts

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Crawl under there with a 22 pistol with bird shot. If you are going to use the trap I recommend some canned cat food for bait. Set the trap near the opening where they go in and out. You may catch more than you are ready to deal with but eventually you will get the right one.:clap:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have canned cat food and bacon grease. I am not around here during the week so the trap being inside worries me but the trap being outside I am afraid I will catch something else.

Lia

Banned
Well, muley and Cowboy have some excellent advice, and I wonder now if mine is even worth considering, but, could you not try to flush whatever it is out from under the trailer with dogs, on leashes of course? And, as both the other two say, holding a gun at the ready?

Just a thought, probably a silly one, but, well.... :unsure:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One trick we have used at our lake house is to put a radio in the crawl space under the house and turn the volume up when we leave. You can shut it off when you come back again. I have been told rodents can't stand the vibration from the music and will leave. Make sure the radio is tuned to a 24 hour music station.

Once you are assured the rodent has left you can plug up the access hole. But I would still leave the radio there and playing when gone.

At one time I had a problem during the winter with squirrels nesting in my pontoon boat, but for the last several years have put a radio in the pontoon boat and left it on 24/7. No squirrel problems since.

Bob

mak2

Crawl under there with a 22 pistol with bird shot. If you are going to use the trap I recommend some canned cat food for bait. Set the trap near the opening where they go in and out. You may catch more than you are ready to deal with but eventually you will get the right one.:clap:

Where he lives it could be a bear or maybe a badger. make sure you get video, this could be funny. :biggrin:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have two live traps and a game camera and set them in my large yard.
Going under a trailer crawl space with a hand gun may be a bad idea. At least it would for me.You could cause more damage.
Lets say you caught a skunk in the live trap. If it's in the trap under your house your going to have a big mess. Getting a skunk out of the trap without it spraying can be done but you cannot alarm the skunk or it will spray. With A long pole you cover the trap and then slowly relocate it then open the door and run. I relased two this way without a spray but also failed a few times. Possum,cats and weasels are easy ,they love chicken.
A trap outside is the best bet.You can always let loose anything you catch .If they persist in being caught .Lets say,your pet then set the trap up on a block. I would give some rodent killer type of food a try next to the nest but then you'll have to get it out if it dies under you home.
It was said but if you make it unhappy it may move on.
good luck
Jim

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have the live trap under the trailer with a long rope tied to it. I have plugged the hole where it is going in and out. Two days later nothing in the trap and if I poke the area of where it is sleeping nothing moves like before. It may have left and now I just have to deal with the smell.

Funny thing is I have had this trailer since 1993 and have never had a Carnot work it's way in. Three years ago I started winterizing the trailer and three years in a row I have had a varmit. Is this a quincidence?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So it is gone for good ?
I got this with my IF camera the other night. I am not sure on how to post the video from my photobucket .
Jim

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I forgot to update. It was a possum and three babies. Two of the three babies took off when I came. I was able to vet one babie and momma out. Tried teaching momma to swim. She started out doing good but didn't make it. Found another baby two days later had already passed. The smell is bad though yet.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang! 2 traps and nothing going in them. Must be they don't like your offering.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The video must have worked. I didn't say I never got any. The coons I think are to big and really shy of the trap. 4 skunks have been moved to the far end of my place. I like birds and the cats and skunks along with those possums eat the eggs.
Yes those possums can smell. They love fried chicken.
jim