• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Running errands today. Taking a couple small checks to the bank for deposit, probably fixing some more fencing equipment (I'm actually getting caught up on repairs), grabbing some Starbucks and going to the high school to drop off a bunch of repaired equipment that is already loaded in my car.

For St Paddy's Day our Bishop gave us special dispensation to eat Corned Beef if we abstain from meat on another day this week, so that was yesterday for me. Today at 2pm I will be putting Corned Beef into the oven. We will be having mashed potatoes instead of more traditional red potatoes because my wife prefers them. And I'll make cabbage too.

I hate to cage this 80lb all muscle dog. He started chewing on my leather belt last night while I was still wearing it! No, I just have to get in the habit of locking up my shoes in the closet. He's pretty smart when he wants to be....he knows how to do doorknobs! As for the furniture, it's not that great to start with. My x took all the good stuff. The rest is Early Tag Sale, Late Flea Market!
Hahaha I know how you feel. We had an Akita who could open doorknobs. She used to surprise visitor when they went to the bathroom. I think she thought they were hiding :yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Running errands today. Taking a couple small checks to the bank for deposit, probably fixing some more fencing equipment (I'm actually getting caught up on repairs), grabbing some Starbucks and going to the high school to drop off a bunch of repaired equipment that is already loaded in my car.

For St Paddy's Day our Bishop gave us special dispensation to eat Corned Beef if we abstain from meat on another day this week, so that was yesterday for me. Today at 2pm I will be putting Corned Beef into the oven. We will be having mashed potatoes instead of more traditional red potatoes because my wife prefers them. And I'll make cabbage too.

Hahaha I know how you feel. We had an Akita who could open doorknobs. She used to surprise visitor when they went to the bathroom. I think she thought they were hiding :yum:

Corned Beef in the oven I have never tried. We slow simmer it in the pot for about 6 hours before adding the veggies. Of course we usually only have corned beef on this national holiday of St Paddy's so for us it must be the traditional boiled dinner.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, happy St. Paddy's Day!
I'll be making bangers and colcannon again.

Found some Johnsonville Irish O' Garlic sausages.
That and lime jello poke cake lol

I am told there will be booze a'plenty.
I'll be the sensible one in the crowd.
:tongue::alc::lucky:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Corned Beef in the oven I have never tried. We slow simmer it in the pot for about 6 hours before adding the veggies. Of course we usually only have corned beef on this national holiday of St Paddy's so for us it must be the traditional boiled dinner.

Yup we do that sometimes.

We cook it out on the grill, over water.

We roast in in the oven, also with some water in the bottom of the roasting pan. Its roasted covered for hours. The the top comes off and the broiler goes on.

We eat it several times a year. Corned beef maybe 4 to 6 times. And corned beef's Texas cousin the Brisket about that often too.

Angelface

When I decide to spoil myself...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1489759922159.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489759922159.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 78

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The Irish dinner a la Ms. Durkin was well received.
The Jameson and Guinness also. LOL

God, it's been quite the evening around here.
Food, drink and everything from Zeppelin to Rush rocking the house.
Things have quieted down now.

I am not drunk, but feeling a little flushed.
:whistling:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We don't make a big deal out of st Patrick's day. Just another day around the house yesterday. Oh. We did make an addition to our family yesterday in the form of a 10 year old girl coming to live with us.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Was up and at 'em none the worse for wear after last night's O'rama lol

Today will be lap top shopping? , food shopping and no major cooking.
Think we're getting Fazoli's to bring home.

Got the next 3 days off and will go visit the babies at some point.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We don't make a big deal out of st Patrick's day. Just another day around the house yesterday. Oh. We did make an addition to our family yesterday in the form of a 10 year old girl coming to live with us.

That's quite a thing to do. You mentioned it almost as an after thought in your post but it is far from that. Young children have a way of bringing vitality into a household. Older children, not so much. :yum: Congrats.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent the morning at the fencing club.

We are hosting a Referee Clinic. I did not stay for most of it. My job was opening up. I stuck around for the first hour. Most disorganized speaker I've heard in a very long time. Was about ready to shoot myself to put me out of misery. So after an hour of listing to this guy ramble on, switch topics mid-topic, and generally not say much ... I did learn that I should not show up hungover, late or simply not show up at all if I want to earn money as a referee.

Check. Act like an adult. Got it. Took him an hour to convey that message :doh:

-----------

The remainder of today: eating leftover Corned Beef & Cabbage :hammer:

That's quite a thing to do. You mentioned it almost as an after thought in your post but it is far from that. Young children have a way of bringing vitality into a household. Older children, not so much. :yum: Congrats.

Ditto. That is a big deal.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We had been without a call from the agency for 6 months then all of a sudden we had 3 calls in a few days looking for placements. This girl, like all foster children, has had a rough go thusfar bouncing around between biofamily and the neighbor because parents have been out of the picture for over 5 years. She and her sisters were separated along the way but at least still see each other at school and after school programs.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's looking like she will become a "crown ward" in the next few months making the agency her legal guardian. This may make her adoptable. And of course we will be more than happy to help.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Mass this AM.
Rain or shine we're going to grill burgers on the patio.
Number 1 son and Granddaughter are at the ex's and will be stopping in later.
Yesterday was a long day ending with watching a couple of episodes of Blue Bloods.
Love that show.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We went to the Wood County Republican Lincoln Day Dinner last night. It was an enjoyable evening with good speakers. I had my picture taken with Donald Trump. OK, it was a cardboard cut-out but it didn't say anything stupid and it didn't tweet once during dinner. :yum:

Got up this morning and my wife decided that she's rather do laundry than go to church so I'd better go get ready to finish mowing the yard. It looks like hell this spring. It's nothing but weeds and junk grass. I've sprayed herbicide twice this year, a total of 350 gallons, and it's done nothing. The weeds got a little sick and then recovered. I put out 1,000# of fertillizer last week so I'm either going to get the good grass growing or I'm going to have the tallest weeds in Wood County. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Attended 8am mass today, pulled out onto the main road and hit a pothole. Tore the sidewall out of a brand new tire, stopped to put on the donut spare. Took my wife to breakfast after that fiasco.

Came home and practiced the Ukulele a bit. Now relaxing with the computer and a sleeping dog by my side.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Spent some time getting set up on Doc's new Veteran's Valor Forum. Real nice place, we need you so come and visit. :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Had a rough sleepless night again. Foot throbbing. Sent the older boys out with their scout troop ice fishing for the day. Made breakfast for the wife and remaining 3 kids then off to the 10am service. Had a parrish lunch afterwards. Then home for a mid afternoon power nap in the chair. Now the missus is doing some grovery shopping with the latest addition to our family.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Hate when that happens :hammer:

Pretty much destroys the next day too.

Hope you get a good one tonight.
Yes it sucks. Had 2 sleepless nights in a row. Tonight I may have to take a sleep aid. Oh well. Im on my 3rd power nap today in between watching the nascar race.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing thrilling today.
Woke up to thunder and rain- going to run some errands later.
Haven't been to the library in ages, may drop by and check out the bios.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Decided today I am sick and tired of all the brake dust buildup on my pickup. I did a brake job 2K ago with all new rotors, pads and calipers. Stupid me I used metallic pads so this morning I braved the cold and swapped out the pads for ceramic. I always bought ceramic but last time I brain farted and noticed what I had bought after I started the tear down so I went ahead and installed them.

I won't do that again. Jeez. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Busy evening this eve. Four of the kiddies had scouts at 2 different locations. And we had to take our latest addition to the family shopping for some clothes.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Busy day yesterday so taking it easy today. The Amsoil Friction Modifier came in so I added that to the rear diff and went and did some figure 8's in the Big Lot's parking lot. Did about a dozen. Afterwards I noticed a fella sitting in a car watching me trying to figure out what in the hell was the matter with me. I smiled, waved and drove off. :yum:

BTW, it appears to have cured the differential chatter so that was 10 bucks very well spent. I am happy. Time for a nap now. :biggrin:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Braved the icy roads this morning to go get a haircut. Dayum, those roads were slick. It has turned very cold with more high winds. Currently below zero and getting colder. Sure glad I buttoned up some light work on my truck when it was warmer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No appointments today. Had the truck booked in to the stealership to get some work done. 4x4 wasnt working and something draining the battery. Got a new battery on warranty at wallyworld. 3rd battery in 2 years.
Dealership found a leaking brake calliper and bad upper ball joint. Getting those replaced. Came home and ordered a complete set of rotors and pads for the front and back. For a truck that was safetied less than 30k kms ago everything is shot. Gotta love the amount of salt they put on the roads up here. Everything rusts out.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
No appointments today. Had the truck booked in to the stealership to get some work done. 4x4 wasnt working and something draining the battery. Got a new battery on warranty at wallyworld. 3rd battery in 2 years.
Dealership found a leaking brake calliper and bad upper ball joint. Getting those replaced. Came home and ordered a complete set of rotors and pads for the front and back. For a truck that was safetied less than 30k kms ago everything is shot. Gotta love the amount of salt they put on the roads up here. Everything rusts out.

You're lucky you got discs on the back. I have drums and shoes in the back and what a pain in the ass that is. I'm due for new drums, shoes, brake cyl. this summer. I have some of the parts for a disc conversion but not all of them I need. Maybe I will hit the pick and pay junk yards for the parts this summer.

If anybody has a 1994-2004 Mustang hanging around, I could use the rear caliper mounting plates. :whistling:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Of course the dealership wanted me to have everything replaced there. Not happening. I'm not paying 1000 just for rotors and pads. I came home and ordered a complete set for 120 front and back. Ceramic pads. No point spending big $ on a truck I plan on trading next year.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Of course the dealership wanted me to have everything replaced there. Not happening. I'm not paying 1000 just for rotors and pads. I came home and ordered a complete set for 120 front and back. Ceramic pads. No point spending big $ on a truck I plan on trading next year.

Brake jobs are the big rip off of our time. Garages and dealerships love them. The job sounds more complex then it is and garages take advantage of that to squeeze every last dime. In reality, nothing much is easier on a vehicle than changing our rotors and pads. I realize that changing out the calipers can be a bit more daunting for some people as that involves bleeding the lines but even that is no big deal. Youtube is full of how to videos that take you step by step.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Worked today.
Heard about the attack in London :glare:
Came home and am sitting here browsing the internet.
Got tomorrow off - plan to sleep in, then do some shopping in the afternoon after a meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.