• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

collared dove deterrent

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a ton of these in our area and they've become a real problem on our bird feeder. About a dozen dove come in and run all the little birds off it. The game dept. doesn't care if you shoot or trap them. I bought a pellet rifle a couple of mos. ago and have them pretty nervous but they just kept coming in when I wasn't looking. I built this cage to go around the feeder hoping to keep the dove off the feeder yet let the little ones in. So far it's working good as the little ones come and go and haven't seen a dove on the feeder yet. If they figure a way around this I'll devise a live trap for them.
Mike

Attachments

• doves 001 (Small).JPG
    doves 001 (Small).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 131

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good idea!

What kind of feed are you putting in there? The stuff I use is a mix which includes sunflower seeds.

The little birds like the non-sunflower stuff so they push it aside and normally off the feeders so my doves are normally on the ground eating the sunflower seeds. The dog obviously loves them at ground level so the hunt is on!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Straight sunflower seed and the little ones don't seem to have a problem w/ it. They even bring the seed over on the rug under the covered patio to hull them. I guess their little feet get too cold!!
Mike

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
That system works on squirrels also. They are my biggest yard problem.

Like the insurance commercial says, "this time, it's personal."