• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Covid scare is now officially over!

Bannedjoe

We finally got something new for the people to panic, worry, and wring their stupid hands over.
God I love it when the new thing comes along.

If it's not a disease, or virus, it's chemicals in baby formula or car seats, and anything the media can pump out there, and get people to glomb onto and go see their therapists.

Yay!!!!

Murder Hornets!!!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't usually worry about a lot of things, but just read in the news one of these hornets can wipe out an entire hive of honey bees. Now that is something to worry about!! We'll all get mighty hungry without sufficient numbers of pollinators.
Mike

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
SEATTLE — When a pack of Asian giant hornets targets a hive of honeybees for slaughter, the carnage can be swift.

The so-called murder hornets, which have surfaced for the first time in the United States, have a particular appetite for bees and specialize in group attacks. The slaughter begins when a worker hornet spots a colony, marks it with a pheromone and then brings a backup crew of between two and 50 others. While a honeybee hive can have thousands of residents, hornets can wipe out the whole population in hours.

During one recorded slaughter examined by researchers, each hornet killed one bee every 14 seconds, using powerful mandibles to decapitate its prey.

But some bees have also demonstrated a remarkable survival strategy by working as a team to fight back against individual invaders, researchers have found.

When a hornet enters the hive of Japanese honeybees, researchers have witnessed how hundreds of bees can respond by forming a ball around a hornet. While the bees face an immense disadvantage in both size and strength, the bees working in unison can vibrate to produce heat, raising the temperature in the formation, like a tiny oven, to over 115 degrees. Bees can survive the high temperature, but the hornet cannot, and after up to an hour of cooking, the hornet dies.

European honeybees, which are the most common pollinator in the United States, don’t appear to have the same instinct. They try to defend against a hornet attack by stinging the invaders, but the Asian giant hornet carries a rigid exoskeleton that makes bee stings ineffective, according to researchers.

“The honeybee in Japan has adapted with this predator and learned through generations to protect themselves,” said Ruthie Danielsen, a beekeeper in Birch Bay, Wash., near where two Asian giant hornets were discovered. “Our honeybees, the predator has never been there before, so they have no defense.”

While the Asian giant hornet is a threat to humans, with a potent stinger that kills up to 50 people each year in Japan, its arrival in the United States has brought particular dread to beekeepers. They are working together to post traps to try and catch queens this spring and workers in the upcoming summer. Government biologists are trying to identify where the hornet has settled in Washington State and eradicate it before it establishes a permanent presence.

Ms. Danielsen said the beekeepers were exploring a special trap used in Japan that was placed in front of a beehive, designed to catch an Asian giant hornet before it marks the hive with a pheromone.

Tim Lawrence, a professor of entomology at Washington State University with expertise in honeybees, said that in Japan, however, there were smaller beekeeping operations compared with in the United States. In America, he said, it is not uncommon to find hundreds of bee hives in an apiary.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen if the hornet is established in an apiary of that size,” Mr. Lawrence said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mu...ers-alive/ar-BB13xAOU?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=UE09DHP

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
But some bees have also demonstrated a remarkable survival strategy by working as a team to fight back against individual invaders, researchers have found.

Just think what would happen if humans would work together!

Bannedjoe

SEATTLE — When a pack of Asian giant hornets targets a hive of honeybees for slaughter, the carnage can be swift.

The so-called murder hornets, which have surfaced for the first time in the United States, have a particular appetite for bees and specialize in group attacks. The slaughter begins when a worker hornet spots a colony, marks it with a pheromone and then brings a backup crew of between two and 50 others. While a honeybee hive can have thousands of residents, hornets can wipe out the whole population in hours.

During one recorded slaughter examined by researchers, each hornet killed one bee every 14 seconds, using powerful mandibles to decapitate its prey.

When a hornet enters the hive of Japanese honeybees, researchers have witnessed how hundreds of bees can respond by forming a ball around a hornet. While the bees face an immense disadvantage in both size and strength, the bees working in unison can vibrate to produce heat, raising the temperature in the formation, like a tiny oven, to over 115 degrees. Bees can survive the high temperature, but the hornet cannot, and after up to an hour of cooking, the hornet dies.

European honeybees, which are the most common pollinator in the United States, don’t appear to have the same instinct. They try to defend against a hornet attack by stinging the invaders, but the Asian giant hornet carries a rigid exoskeleton that makes bee stings ineffective, according to researchers.

“The honeybee in Japan has adapted with this predator and learned through generations to protect themselves,” said Ruthie Danielsen, a beekeeper in Birch Bay, Wash., near where two Asian giant hornets were discovered. “Our honeybees, the predator has never been there before, so they have no defense.”

While the Asian giant hornet is a threat to humans, with a potent stinger that kills up to 50 people each year in Japan, its arrival in the United States has brought particular dread to beekeepers. They are working together to post traps to try and catch queens this spring and workers in the upcoming summer. Government biologists are trying to identify where the hornet has settled in Washington State and eradicate it before it establishes a permanent presence.

Ms. Danielsen said the beekeepers were exploring a special trap used in Japan that was placed in front of a beehive, designed to catch an Asian giant hornet before it marks the hive with a pheromone.

Tim Lawrence, a professor of entomology at Washington State University with expertise in honeybees, said that in Japan, however, there were smaller beekeeping operations compared with in the United States. In America, he said, it is not uncommon to find hundreds of bee hives in an apiary.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen if the hornet is established in an apiary of that size,” Mr. Lawrence said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mu...ers-alive/ar-BB13xAOU?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=UE09DHP
Like I said, Now we have another credible something to worry about.
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was watching some clip earlier about them.
They can be as large as 2" long.
:eek:
It said their venom is powerful enough to kill a person, but that's only if stung multiple times.
They aren't supposed to be aggressive unless a nest is disturbed.

Bannedjoe

The planet has a system design that we will never know everything about, understand or have control over.
Every single freaking thing in nature's course has a purpose, we just don't always know what it is.

Hey, whatever happened to the world ending because of Africanized bees?

Did they go away?
Did they adapt?
Did we adapt?

Sorry I gotta laugh.
The media is as bored as much as anyone and needs to keep the fear factor going.

How come no one has picked up on my unbalanced planet theory, or the upcoming worldwide Biscotti shortage?

scotthouse

Its just pathetic how people are believing the lies and they think its real!!!

They believe the ramped up #s w/o question.... This is a major psyop!! (Meant to disrupt the election and get Donny out of office)

If they would turn off the blasted TV,they wouldnt be scared!!!

Im tired of all the sheeple morons about!!!

The level of evilness being deployed is scary!!!

scotthouse

I am so sorry
icon9.gif

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know people right now who have it. Adult male, stroke & heart attack survivor in his early 50's is fighting it. Girl, middle school aged, has it, almost no symptoms.

This shit is real.

My friend and neighbor owns the local funeral home. He can tell you it's real too. We live in a small rural community. It's here.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's real. Our area has been spared mostly.

I think we had like 116 cases for an 800km square area covering roughly 200000 people. Only one death but surprise surprise, he had other serious health issues but because he contracted covid his death was labeled strictly as covid related.

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate talking about it anymore because of the hell we've been through at work.
The families, their friends, staff..
We were all given the big smack down with the realization that this isn't like the flu.
I can tell you for a while there for the first time in my 39 years in nursing, I was about to break.
NOW there is talk of a second or third wave, because of flu season being here.
Tell ya what! All of us who haven't had the virus yet? Just keep doing what you've been doing.
Masks, hand hygiene, social distancing.
That should keep one safe from catching anything.
I hope.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Tell ya what! All of us who haven't had the virus yet? Just keep doing what you've been doing.
Masks, hand hygiene, social distancing.
That should keep one safe from catching anything.
I hope.

I hope so too because that's what we've been doing for over 7 months now. There's no reason that we can't keep doing it almost indefinitely but you know what? I'm 73-years old and this is not how I want to spend the last years of my life. On the other hand, if I do catch it, with all my troubles, the rest of my life is likely to be a lot shorter than I want it to be.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I now have a close friend who has it. Symptoms started yesterday. She is my co-coach for fencing but I’ve had zero contact with her for about a month. She has moderate symptoms, more intense than many of the mild cases that are talked about. She not had the test yet, but one of her family members just was confirmed positive. She’s planning to go in for a test to confirm.

Indiana is now posting record numbers of cases. As are some other states in the area.

FWIW the supply chain is still broken, I’m keeping up my food supply and mostly keeping the family on the property unless it’s a necessity to go out.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW the supply chain is still broken, I’m keeping up my food supply and mostly keeping the family on the property unless it’s a necessity to go out.

The severity of the symptoms in different people is one of the confusing things about this disease.

The supply chain hasn't returned to normal here either but it is a lot better than it was 5 or 6 months back. That may be partly because the panic buying seems to have ceased. If the store sells out of an item though, it may be a couple of weeks before it is restocked, if it is restocked.

We're still staying home mostly although we are getting out and about more than we did. We only use places and stores that we feel comfortable at. For instance, I use Tractor Supply for a lot of things but if I drive in and the car park is busy, I'll leave and come back another day when it is quieter. I haven't been to the grocery store in 7 months. My wife handles the grocery shopping and she picks her time to go. Neither of us has been to Walmart since this thing started.

Our food supply is still strong. There is no need to panic there. My wife's COVID garden has been a Godsend throughout the summer although tomato and pepper production will be shutting down soon with the colder weather.

I hear so much talk now about the seasonal flu and how things can get worse....and no one no one of these news people mentioned Get Your Own Immune System strong and healthy....the healthier and stronger the less changes of sickness....

Just the mask, distance etc etc etc....it goes on

My daughter has never been a lover of the mask and when out walking her dog in our wonderful clean ocean breeze air, she will NOT wear one....going to the market she won't be allowed in if she doesn't.

So today on one of her walks, a woman coming close to her with mask, said "where is your mask"....my daughter does not engage, you never know what some of these angry people "carry"... so she just ignores....But says there are so many angry people today and I agree....