• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

70% of Obama’s Twitter Followers are Fake Accounts

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
He’s the “social media president,” having been the first one in the modern era to take full advantage of the ways the Internet can connect politicians to people. But a new study reveals that 70% of President Obama’s 19 million twitter followers are completely fake.

President Obama’s Twitter account has 18.8 million followers — but more than half of them really don’t exist, according to reports.

A new Web tool has determined that 70% of Obama’s crowd includes “fake followers,” The New York Times reports in a story about how Twitter followers can be purchased.

“The practice has become so widespread that StatusPeople, a social media management company in London, released a Web tool last month called the Fake Follower Check that it says can ascertain how many fake followers you and your friends have,” the Times reports.

http://patriotupdate.com/28363/heh-70-of-obamas-twitter-followers-are-fake-accounts

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently this is very common with Twitter accounts that have huge followings.

Smoochy

It is. It's not surprising one bit, honestly.

Romney had quite a few fake accounts under his twitter. As does a lot of mainstream music artists (Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and etc...). Just a popularity scheme.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nor have I.. and thanks to Bob and Smoochy for the info.
Ya learn something new everyday!

Kane

Help me out, Mel. How is a tweet faked? ... and how is it more common with huge followings?

Is the OP about fake followers no big deal, then, and it somehow happens regardless of the account holder?

Smoochy

Help me out, Mel. How is a tweet faked? ... and how is it more common with huge followings?

Is the OP about fake followers no big deal, then?

I know I'm not Mel, but basically there are generators that can make fake Twitter accounts and then these people (or their managers, whatever) can pay to have hundreds of thousands or more of these fake accounts "follow" their Twitter account to make it seem that they have more followers than they actually do.

It's something that almost all of the big Twitter pages with a few million followers do.

Kane

I know I'm not Mel, but basically there are generators that can make fake Twitter accounts and then these people (or their managers, whatever) can pay to have hundreds of thousands or more of these fake accounts "follow" their Twitter account to make it seem that they have more followers than they actually do.

It's something that almost all of the big Twitter pages with a few million followers do.
Well, I think tweeters should have to show photo ID. :whistling:

Smoochy

Well, I think tweeters should have to show photo ID. :whistling:

It does get annoying. I don't use Twitter, so I'm not 100% certain I know how it works, but I know that's the gist of it. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber also have a ton of fake accounts following them.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It does get annoying. I don't use Twitter, so I'm not 100% certain I know how it works, but I know that's the gist of it. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber also have a ton of fake accounts following them.

So how does the industry monetise "fake accounts"

I don't, won't, twitter. So I have no clue how it makes money.

But then Facebook gave me the same question.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I must be the only person on the planet that refuses to facebook, twitter or any of that bullcrap.

I see no purpose to any of these personal information publishers...

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I can't stand FB either. I only have a profile because it quieted my sisters rantings about NOT having a profile. I use it to get pictures of my niece and share article with a few people. I only check it a couple of times per month, or when my sister calls and yells at me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I must be the only person on the planet that refuses to facebook, twitter or any of that bullcrap.

After resisting for a long time I finally joined Facebook. Then I installed the app on my smartphone and found out that ALL of my contact information got uploaded to Facebook!! I tried to quit Facebook but it apparently can't be done??? I deleted everything I could figure out how to delete, unfriended everyone, and have not been back since.

My wife and daughter were smarter than me (typical), neither of them ever joined Facebook.

Smoochy

After resisting for a long time I finally joined Facebook. Then I installed the app on my smartphone and found out that ALL of my contact information got uploaded to Facebook!! I tried to quit Facebook but it apparently can't be done??? I deleted everything I could figure out how to delete, unfriended everyone, and have not been back since.
That's one thing that sucks about once you sign up for Facebook, you can never delete it. You can deactivate your account, but it's never completely gone, which is kind of scary.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

You are not the only one Fred. I have no Facebook or Twitter account either.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's one thing that sucks about once you sign up for Facebook, you can never delete it. You can deactivate your account, but it's never completely gone, which is kind of scary.

Which is why I "unfriended" everyone and also deleted all the photos I could get rid of (there were a few it woudn't let me delete!?!), etc. I may technically still be there, but there is not much of me there.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

I refuse as well. After all I can post plenty of stupid things right here for posterity, lawyers and political opponents to find later.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Which is why I "unfriended" everyone and also deleted all the photos I could get rid of (there were a few it woudn't let me delete!?!), etc. I may technically still be there, but there is not much of me there.
Same here.
When I first joined FB back when it was initially trendy to do so.. my profile stayed empty. I couldn't delete my account.. but could deactivate it.
Never tried to log back in for any reason.
As for Twitter, Tweeting, whatever the hell you call it.. never interested me to join in.