• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'M OLDER THAN DIRT

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]

I'm older than dirt

You younger ones can start laughing now !But that's the way it was....

I'm older than dirt

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. ! 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :
Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 12. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 5 AM every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies.. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
Ratings at the bot tom .

1.Candy cigarettes

2.Coffee shops with table side juke boxes

3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles

4. Party lineson the telephone
5.Newsreels before the movie

6.TVtest patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels[if you were fortunate])
7.Peashooters
8. Howdy Doody

9. 45 RPM records

10.Hi-fi's

11. Metal ice trays with lever

12. Blue flashbulb

13.Cork popguns

14. Studebakers

15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered

11-15 =You're older than dirt!

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really
OLD friends....

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck, I remember them all.....at least I thought I did. What was the question again?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I am older than old dirt, not only do I remember all of those items, but I remember the time before some of them.

The first TV in Denver showed up in the front window of a radio repair store on Broadway, a main street through the town. Road was blocked off for a couple of weeks so people could stand in the middle of the road to catch a peek.

Kids were turned out on Saturday morning and expected to be back in one piece by dinnertime.

Ricky and Lucy slept in separate beds. Also the first announcement of a pregnancy on TV.

The first chipped ice for kids drinks. It came off the back of a horse drawn ice wagon delivering 50 pound blocks.

A time of 5 years with NO new cars. All new auto construction was suspended during WW II. Both gas and tires were rationed. You fixed tires. I still have some old ration tokens. Along the same lines. School supported recycling. Newspaper and tin can drives were common. All cans and newspapers were saved and recycled.

Mom had a electric wringer washer. Did you know that if you run a pair of pliers through the wringer, it will shoot out the other side at a velocity great enough to break the window across the room? For a few kids, this was one of the first lessons in energy.

Chicken feed came in patterned cloth sacks. Mom sent us to the feed store with swatches of the cloth she needed We would be in serious trouble if we brought back the wrong sack. McCalls made feed sack dress patterns. Dresses turned out on a treadle machine. Sis grew up in these dresses. Girls did not wear pants. Boys, for some reason, nearly always had store bought shirts.

Thanks for letting me reminisce for a moment.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember all 15. I am older than dirt and I would have it no other way. To be young right now in uncertain America is not an envyable position to be in.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
the older i aim to not be, the older i get. 'scuse me. gonna flush myself dahn the toilet now. anyone got an 'ol sears catalog before i plunge in....... i have indoor plumbing. unlees i attend an event. then it's a chit-haus. now equipped w/ sanitizer or soap & tp.

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess that I'm older than dirt too. I was brought up in the UK and like jimbo, I remember the times before some of those even existed.

And, a couple of years ago I did try telling my grandkids in Scotland how it was when I was young and the DID burst a gut.

Jeez, this getting old shit isn't easy!!!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember mom stressing what material the feed sacks were to be. She worked them down into all kinds of clothes. And back then we had just gotten electric and did not get phone till 1958. party line that you counted the rings to know who it was for.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember mom stressing what material the feed sacks were to be. She worked them down into all kinds of clothes. And back then we had just gotten electric and did not get phone till 1958. party line that you counted the rings to know who it was for.

The little town where I spent my first four years was really progressive. We had a man with a horse and wagon that
brought empty feed and flour sacks around twice a month - twice! My mother had his dates marked on the calendar by
the stairs and I had a lot of shirts and pajamas that started out in the back of that wagon.

Party lines, treadle sewing machines, milk delivered to the metal box on the porch at sunrise, toy trains that wound up,
real caring neighbors, neighborhood grocery stores ... I guess I must be older than fossilized dinosaur shit!