• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is there very technical Thikol /LMC forum?

Snowcat Pat

I always have questions and desire discussion of a highly technical nature regarding Thiokol/LMC snowcats. Mostly with the OC12 and now the OC4 and sometimes the hydrostatic drives. Things like brake bands and linings, bearing brands and styles, better seals, internal modifications and improvements, repair procedures. Also suspension improvements, track belting, tires and wheels. Down to the smallest detail, every internal part. The manuals are just a starting point. We have discussed oils its true but I want much more than that.
Things like welding frames, painting cabs, which engines and transmissions, and where to buy stuff are discussed endlessly and thats great, I read it all, but its not new info, I can get that here and elsewhere to any level of detail.
Ive posted a few questions on the Groomer Talk board in the past and get no responses. Unfortunately,the Team Richard forum is all but dead, I was hoping the new format would take off.
Maybe a new section here or perhaps another forum I'm not aware of? As a machinist specializing in Thiokol/LMC snowcats I never stop asking "how can it be improved?"
Or am I the only person that takes the lid off an OC12 to have a look inside?

Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

Not the slightest bit interested in slinging rocks at people.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Pat,
No doubt you are one the a few experts on the OC-12. I would also love to learn how to actually work on one. In fact I would love to see someone actually do a rebuild on one in great detail here on the forums. I would ask Doc if he could create another section for rear diffs and other drive train components. I dont know how it would be titled but you get the jist of it. I would like to see how to change the rear brake cylinders you make. (I see some being installed in the future) Maybe you can do an article on that?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As the moderator for the snowcat area, I'll jump in and speak for Doc. If there is enough interest & demand for anything, we can add another forum.

So let's throw this back as a challenge to everyone else. . .

Is there enough demand for a technical issue forum related to the innerworkings of the THIOKOL/DMC/LMC line of snowcats?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
We Kristi owners may be interested so we will know what parts to bring. No need to include info on Slow Tracs part as we will just tow them out.

All Content Copyright K.R.I.S.T.I. - Kristis Rescuing Impotent Snow Tracs, International.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob why do you Kristi owners need to bring your Kristi squirrel and round running cage for. As a power source for the Kristi I thought you of all people should know how it works. Be glad for this "newer" power source. The First factory Kristis came with a donkey and a stick dangling a carrot. BUT the donkey would freeze to death so they went to an insulated engine compartment and the squirrel. Very high tech for a Kristi!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Gee whiz, about time since the majority of the members in the snow cat area on the forum members are either Thiokol. DMC or LMC snow cat owners/operators or wanna be's like BigAl. You would think we could get at least some space dedicated to the majority members, their snow cats and interests. THIOKOLS RULE...THE SNOW... Way to go Pat..:thumb: Now, Doc and Bob S it is time to listen up, before the:shitHitFan:.

Count me in. I'll provide all data with photos from my 1200 ground up restoration. Pat is correct technical section is greatly needed.
Doc can you layer by type, model & area.
Example;
Thiokol / LMC / DMC / Others
601 /1200 / 1500
Engine / Differential / Tracks / Other
Thanks all
John

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK GUYS, stop whining, you are getting what you asked for. It will be set up soon.

BUT I have to warn you, if the new Thiokol/DMC/LMC Technical Forum does not get enough posts, it will be merged back into the main forum. We have bandwidth issues and costs associated with that bandwidth. So to make this work, you guys have to make sure that you post enough treads in that forum to make if viable!

Doc has agreed to set up a sub-forum for the Thiokol/DMC/LMC vehicles inside the Snowcat area. It should be set up within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just created the forum. Let me know if you have any problems with it. Sometimes new forums have 'issues'. :D
Let the posting begin!!!

edit to add: for now you have to go into the snowcat repair forums before you see the new forum. I will get the fixed, hopefully soon. If not you'll have to get to it the hard way, through snowcat repair.

Snowcat Pat

Whoa, what have I started. Thanks moderators, for the new section. I hope we can use it well. I may dive in a little deep in detail so bring your air tanks. Oh boy which corner to start. After a full day of OC12 rebuilding you would think I'm done for today... actually I am.

Thanks again
Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OC-12 rebuilding would be a perfect place to start! I am actually going to be rebuilding a brake system. Is that next after your OC-12 rebuild?

AKdadio

I watched all three of my kids being born... and guys, watching a new forum catagory being born brings tears to my eyes. Great idea!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
This will be a huge help to all of us snowcat owners. Not only will we beable to better work on our equipment we will also beable to know who to send stuff to or go to if we dont feel comfortable or just dont want to take on a certain project!

lmhagar

Does anyone have any kind of manuals for an LMC3700? We're tyring to be our own mechanic...but we're software engineers!
Any kind of help with this snow kitty would be appreciated.

spoolvalve

Hey Pat, How about a part number/supplier "go to list" for all of us- I hate fishing around for parts. this may need a daily moderator to input the info for a quick view format??? Del aka greasygroomer

oldisgold

We need info on thiokol 601 clutch packs; have replaced one side... but the adjustments are mind boggling... Help? We have spent hours adjusting them and still have smoking plates, or no turning capabilities, no matter which way we go. Back to the shop. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!!

shopman

Oldisgold... Is this what you are working on???

With the 2 drivelines to 2 rear ends...

PowerSelectort.jpg

If so, I have more info for you...

Shopman

oldisgold

Yes!! That looks the same. We have found that the clutch pack housing has been welded and is catching and making the discs hang up. Looks like we need a new housing on the one side... anyone? thankyou :)