• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp muffler

rfogel

Does anyone know what kind of muffler this vehicle came with? I get more power running straight pipes but very loud. Tried a motorcycle muffler and lost significant power? Any suggestions on quieting the unit?

Russ

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
try a glass pack but i find it hard to believe that you are getting more power with out the muffler

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Does anyone know what kind of muffler this vehicle came with? I get more power running straight pipes but very loud. Tried a motorcycle muffler and lost significant power? Any suggestions on quieting the unit?

Russ

Right out from the exhaust port where it comes out under the passengers feet, there was about a four inch accross muffler that was about 18" long, then exited straight out and up. A glass pack as suggested would work fine as well. If you just run the pipe straight up after exiting from underneath, you will need to put a heat shield over the pipe, it will melt both clothing and fingers if they come into contact with it.

On my Imp (orange one with Aluminum back), I put a muffler on it and then put just enough extention on it to clear the body and hung a muffler hanger on it to keep it from knocking the Muffler on it. Worked very good and was as quiet as your going to get in an Imp.

In the one photo where the exhaust hole comes out about mid way under the passenger door you can see the factory hole the exhaust comes out from. I'm sure it's not OSHA approved, but worked very well.

The blue Super Imp has the exhaust coming out and going back, but you can get badly burned on the piping since it isn't covered.

Attachments

• Getting ready for the last winter trip out.JPG
    Getting ready for the last winter trip out.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Blue Imp in Eagle River.jpg
    Blue Imp in Eagle River.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 220