• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

motorhome tire pressure

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
265/75 r 16 michilin tire pressure, sidewall say 80 lbs......most people dont run them that high, what do u think??????

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
you'll get better mileage but slightly rougher ride, and I think the 80 psi is a max. What about 70-75 psi? (buddy of mine used to run 65 in his 3/4T P/U even when he wasn't carrying a load - but then he liked having his kidneys shaken, not stirred...)

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have put the pressure at 75, it rides much worse at 80 which is what is on the sidewall, fuel millage sux no mater what pressure u use......leaving Monday on a 2k trip......

Trakternut

It depends on some factors:
Will you be running with your water tanks full?
Will you be loaded to the max with luggage and people?
If you are, 80 lbs.

If you're running fairly light, I wouldn't go much lower than 75.

Underinflated tires experience a lot of flex in the sidewalls during the course of driving. This does, as mentioned, cost extra fuel, plus, the flexing builds up heat in the tire. In warm weather, with enough weight on, that heat builds and builds until KAAABOOOM!!!!. If you like buying tires, go for a nice ride. If you want your tires to last, sacrifice the ride and your tires will thank you for it.
I've seen too many truck tires turn into rubber alligators due to running low on pressure.

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
well I am not loaded heavy and the 100 gal water tank mabe has 20 gal in it.....I can tell u for sure that the road is hot along the gulf coast and when I came this same route monday there were plenty of rubber gators to dodge...........

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
well I upped the pressure to 80, we will just put up with the rougher ride, I dont want any unnessary excitement going from Houston to Augusta Ga.......913 boring miles........

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Like trakternut says keep them near max when highway running. Even without the tanks full motorhomes are never light. Hope they are full 10 ply rated tires. Good luck on the trip.

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
well I made my trip, 2500 miles total with 80 lb in tires....I blew one tire 15 miles into the trip, discouraging to say the least........the rest of the trip went very smothe @ 8.2 mpg which is the most I gotton so far.......

loboloco

Large tires ran at or close to the recommended inflation(5lbs-max) provide better fuel mileage, and greater safety. Remember, the pressures are there for a reason.