• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No A/C here. Heat pump compressor froze up.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Repair guy came out. Can't fix. Need a new compressor or ..an whole new heat pump.

2.5 ton unit. 22 years old. Users R22. Can replace compressor for around 1500.

New unit would require change to R410A refrigerant. and cost in neighborhood of $4500.

R22 end of life was Jan 1, 2020 so that stuff will be more expensive as time goes on. I guess they are mainly using recaptured R22. No more can be brought into USA so .... replacing compressor does not really seem like an option. Oh boy. Happy Fathers day to me. :bonk:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Crap Doc...

We had this happen some years ago during a very hot spell. I knew the problem immediately, as the wires going into the compressor were burnt off at the compressor housing. This was on a Friday, and the heat was enough we moved into our 5th wheel camper for several days until the entire unit was replaced. PINA for sure, and expensive as well.

I feel for you and your wife. The only thing in your favor might be that the heat of the summer season is still ahead of us. When ours went out it was in mid July and hot a hell. Even the nights were sweltering with low temps in the mid 80's and day time temps in the upper 90's.

This will be a temporary is all one can say at this point. It will pass, but your Bank account will notice once it is fixed or replaced. Tough choice there..

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
YIKES, I actually happy to pay the well service company for the new pump. Given the heat we have in the midwest now I'm going to bet that you end up happy to pay whatever bill you pay, even if it is an unexpected bill.

Happy fathers day to you :smileywac

Bannedjoe

If the blower motor and everything else works, I'd go with replacing the compressor.
Refrigeration on ANY level is always expensive to repair.

I once counted all the compressors in the R when we had it.
Can't remember what the number was now.
But it seemed like something was always crapping out.

Many times just buying a whole new unit (freezers etc) was just a hair more expensive than a service call, travel, parts, labor etc.

Good luck!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
As I said somewhere else on the board, I'm in the middle of the exact same thing. Our unit that crapped out was 15-years old. I had the choice of replacing and rebuilding the present unit or getting a whole new one. After thinking about it, I decided to just get a whole new unit. It was more expensive than the repair option but with a 20-year warranty I won't have to worry about it again. We're lucky in that we have 2 units and the other one, also 15-years old, is working well at keeping part of the house cool. With fans running and blowing the cooler air throughout the house it is at least tolerable which is just as well as it's in the low to mid 90s outside.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow when the new condenser gets installed and life gets back to normal, or at least, semi-normal.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good call on getting a whole new unit.
Until the new one arrives, considering turning your FAN switch on the thermostat to the ON position. That'll turn on your air handler fan which will circulate the air throughout the house which will help cool it. If you have vents in your basement, open all of those so the cold air in the basement circulates through the house which will help keep the place cool.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And then you have to decide high efficiency or not.
Our third floor ac crapped out.
I've decided a simple single speed non-computer controlled goodman for me. The existing air handler is fine.
Ten years from now, who knows if the high efficiency parts will be available.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My boating buddy owns a heating and a/c shop. Was talking to him while boating yesterday and he said he'd stop by to double check the compressor and get the info to give an estimate for replacement cost.
He opens it up and says well that's bad (the run capacitor) it was swelled. So he took off the run capacitor and hard start capacitor and replaced both just to see if the compressor was froze up or not. Dang if the compressor and all didn't fire right up.

He did say this unit is on it's last leg but at least we do not have to do without a/c for now. He will work up and estimate so we know what we are looking at to replace

So all good for now. Thanks to my friend. Woo Hoo. :D