• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

who wants new 600 x 100 snow trac tyres at cost?

Alp Trac

I have so far been unable to locate replacement 600x100 6 ply tyres for my snowtrac so have found another solution.

This is the big tyre of which there are four. The smaller one is readily available from aviation suppliers at reasonable cost.

I have contacted Trelleborg in Sweden who were one of the original manufacturers of the snowtrac tyre and they have said that if I can provide an order for 100 units then they will consider producing them.

I have no estimated price but can only say that I expect it to similar to the original price, adjusted for inflation!

I would like to use this link to find out what demand there is for replacement tyres/tires.

If you would like to show your interest by adding to this thread, stating how many tyres/tires you would like to purchase if they become available.

Please note that at this stage you are just expressing an interest, and under no obligation to buy as I do not have a price yet!

If enough interest is expressed confirm a price with Trellebourg, and then I would then look to contact those interested and take a deposit to secure the order. Deposits could be paid with Paypal to avoid tranfer fees etc.

This would be a non profit making exercise, the tyres/tires will be sold at the cost from the manufacturer plus shipping/packing. Shipping should not be to expensive if we can have a big enough order from you guys in the states.

This could be a great way to get new sprockets made too, if any one has any contacts in the foundry world?

Please register your interest so we can generate an order and keep our Snow tracs rolling!

Alp Trac

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would suggest that you might also want to post this same request on Warren's Snow Trac page, the Icelandic Snow Trac Association page, and in the Guestbook at Christer Morlind's website too. You could link back to here for all of them so you only have to follow this thread, but it would get maximum exposure.

Link to : Christer Morlind's Snow Trac page
Link to : Warren Jones' Snow Trac Page
Link to : Bjorn Benediktsson's Icelandic Snow Trac Association Page

Alp Trac said:
This could be a great way to get new sprockets made too, if any one has any contacts in the foundry world?
I believe Warren Jones (see the link to his page above) has the original molds for the sprockets. But I am not sure which version he has. There are at least 2 different belt drive sprockets, and more likely 3 or 4 different versions of the front sprockets that were used over the years.

As to my interest, I would probably interested in a couple track sprockets for a 3 belt Snow Trac. My tires are in good shape so I'm probably not interested in those unless the price is low enough.

nwerring

Here in Norway there are aproximately 80 running SnowTrac's at the moment, and Sweden have close to 120. If Trelleborg would consider making new tires with an order for 100 tires, it should be easy to sell at least 100 tires?.. I could sell 50 tires really fast just to the Norwegian owners - just with the contacts I have. Are any of you interested in joining in to try to convince Trelleborg to start production again? This would be the big 600 x 100 tyre..

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would take 6. Let me know cost plus shipping. I may take 12 depending on cost. We also need the small tires. Can you get us a cost? I would take 20. We also need as many tubes as well.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a couple of the big tires and at least one small one that came with the TracMaster when purchased. Not interested in tires, but a couple of spare sprockets would interest me if priced reasonable.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
MYNTOPPER,
You have the old style correct? Has the brake assembly inside the drive sprocket? If you dont know just shoot me a picture of it. I tried to see it on some other pictures but no luck.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
I have a couple of the big tires and at least one small one that came with the TracMaster when purchased. Not interested in tires, but a couple of spare sprockets would interest me if priced reasonable.
Bill, Bob Cantin is a member here, and is a former Snow Trac dealer based in Canada. He can make up sprokets and has a heavy duty mold he uses. He and I traded quite a few emails and he seems like a great guy to work with on some parts. Bob can make up the sprockets in an aluminum-bronze alloy that would work great. I wanted to buy 4 from him for my Snow Trac but the cost was a bit more than I could justify at roughly $330 each. I know that one of our Norwegian members had 4 sprockets made for under $600 total. At this point I have not followed up on any replacement sprockets, but perhaps if we could get a high enough quantity, Bob could lower the price of his sprockets?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Since my TracMaster has less than 150 total hours and the sprockets still look like new, I will bargain shop. I figure that I have about 10 years to find spares and someone, somewhere will want to bail on a set and I will get the bargain deal I seek. :thumb:

I am always looking for the right deal and the only one to really get deep in my pocket was ole Boggie. I ran out money trying to hold that old BR100+ together on the trailer on the way home. I had to buy duct tape, bubble gum and bungee cords by the case lots to get it home in one chunk....:yum: :StickOutT

rrossell7

If this idea materializes, I would like to purchase four, even though my ST4 only uses two. I have had so much trouble with them going flat, I have thought about filling them with foam, but the weight that the foam adds to the tire has made me decide there must be a better way to go. Like solid rubber tires that are made for hand trucks, which I am going to use for the bogies. Right now my machine is buried under four feet of snow at our property in the mountains in southern Oregon because a new tube that was installed last spring went flat last summer when we didn't need it. Is there an easier way to remove the tire without taking the track off? I would really appreciate any tips or advice.
Thank you, rrossell1

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes there is alot easier way my friend! Loosen the tracks. Jack the frame off the gound a few inches or until the leafs dont have weight on them. Unbolt the problem tire rim. Slide tire out. The problem will be the bolt that holds the wheel on. Use lots of KROIL or other great penetrating lube. You may need to do this for a few days. Pound out the bolt. Make sure you protect the threads. How is up to you but dont hammer on them Use a wood block ect ect. The front little tire tends to be the culprut for going flat it seems. (I am guessing this is the one) Later models had a brass wheel. If this is the case just have those front ones filled with foam. I believe all of mine are foam filled. I have never had any problems and since it is all I know then I wouldnt know any diffrence. I will see when I go to repaint my rims. I also have all new tires on my Snow Master with the exception of the big wheels. But those too are pretty new. The little ones still have the little rubber tits on them. There is also a tool some of us have that helps change a tire. I will look for the article and post it here when I find it. I have this tool (at least part of it) I need an arm but if you need it let me know.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Also there seems to be a readily replacement tire available in Europe but I suspect here as well. They are apparently aircraft tires. These should be a higher quality and have better tubes designed for the extreme colds. I will start to look around for you. I dont have a need since I have 6 spares at least. BUT if you have an extra rim I will trade you a tire.

rrossell7

The tire I keep having problems with is the rear 600x100 track tensioner. I found solid rubber Light weight hand truck tires to replace the bogies that are 4x10 that they sell with wheels which have greasable bearings. But since the bogey wheels are two halves bolted together, I called the factory and asked if I could purchase only the tires and was told yes, they could sell me just the rubber tires seperately. Thanks for the quick response, rrossell1

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My suggestion then is to have them foam filled. I know you dont like the weight but something has to give. Either deal with flats (WHICH REALLY SUCK IF YOUR UP ON THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN!) Or deal with the extra weight (more rotational mass, more unsprung weight). I have had ZERO flats on my Snow Master. If you refuse to have them foam filled then check into diffrent tube types. I know Bridgestone makes a 4mm thick inner tube which I run on my Desert racer. Since I have installed those 3 years ago I have had zero flats where as before with other so called heavy duty tubes I have had 1 to 2 flats a season.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone found a source or replacement for the 600 x 100 tires? Any idea on wheels for these tires?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone found a source or replacement for the 600 x 100 tires? Any idea on wheels for these tires?

If you do not want to go with the solids or the 4.50 X16 like mentioned in another post then buy a 600X100 classic motorcycle tire from JC Whitney
the have some good 600X100 and they are rated to 130mph :yum: they will work we have seen them on cats before

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Same with the rims the center will not work of course use the band waterjet a center weld it in then you have your wheel aluminum if you wish. allow for the proper offset. :thumb:

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Brad,
Did you ever figure a price for the ones you were going to make? Are you making them yet?