• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

compactor bar wanted

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
At New England Ski areas in the 60's and on into the 70's, they used a piece of culvert pipe about 10 or 12 inches in diameter. They poured it full of concrete, put "Pins", Short pieces of bar stock or even re-bar sticking out of the center, then fabricated a big "Wye" shaped frame and pulled it along as a roller. It was highly effective and required no hydraulics. They were most often draged behind a Tucker. Cheap, easy to build, and effective.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I made a bunch of them back then ,but we used 30" diameter culvert, welded a 3/8" thick ring for the ends with 1 1/2" shaft for the pillow block bearings for the drawbar.We also bolted old track belting across the roll to break up the groove paterns.

rodneyp10

Pictures of groomer for sale in PA.

Attachments

• DSCN0655 - Copy (2) (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0655 - Copy (2) (Medium).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN0654 - Copy - Copy (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0654 - Copy - Copy (Medium).jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN0656 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    DSCN0656 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 198

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it needs a bed mount fifth wheel to work? Just looked at one with out the compactor bar in New York almost identical except for the gooseneck hitch.

Unless you can get that front blade up real high you may have an issue with deep fresh or wet snow. The compactor looks like it can raise up.

I see that tucker in the picture. Did it ride on the hitch or the bed?

rodneyp10

Yes, except that the ball is normally on the towing vehicle, this is reversed.
I never used it, the place I got it from the operator said it worked well. I am in PA, snow might not get as deep as in NH.

Is the machine on your post a Tucker also? I have had snowmobiles, this is my first machine like this.
Is there any gatherings or such events here on the east coast? I saw some in Washington state.
Where is the best captive parts dealer?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Few small events that are usually antique snow stuff in general happen in nh. That is a 68 Tucker 442-A I have. Closest parts dealer i think is Get Sno Newport VT. Other than that the internet and this forum is how to find stuff.

Welcome.