• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker on ksl.com...

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I saw this listing yesterday and went to look at the machine:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=23585576&cat=&lpid=&search=tucker&ad_cid=5

It's also listed here:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=23585637&cat=&lpid=&search=tucker&ad_cid=6

And on Craigslist:
http://rockies.craigslist.org/for/3704022541.html

The Craigslist ad says it's a 1744 but it's not. It's a 1644. Originally owned by the FAA, it has a Chrysler 318 Industrial engine and a New Process 5-speed transmission. There is no winch. In terms of options it has a factory rear heater and a roof mounted aim-able spotlight.

Here are some observations:

The style of grouser is slightly different than the ones on the three Tuckers I've owned. These appear to be slightly more heavy-duty. There is more steel in each one, and thus they are heavier. The hour meter read 990 and I think it's probably accurate. My impression is that this has been run in low/no snow conditions more than usual. That resulted in premature grouser wear. Several of the grousers have been broken and repaired with steel plates welded-on to add reinforcement. One grouser that I saw was the other style. I didn't look at all of them, but would describe the grousers overall as being "below average". The track belts were okay. There were a few splices, but nothing outrageous.

The idler wheels generally seemed to be in very good condition. However, the de-icer wheels are another story. This machine has what I'll call the "modular style" de-icer wheel. It has a welded steel center section and there is a flange that plastic "wear-rings" bolt to. The concept is when the wear rings get worn, they can be replaced rather than replacing the whole wheel. Well... all eight wear rings should have been replaced a while ago. The steel flange portion of the wheel is what the grousers are riding on causing excess wear on the grousers.

My opinion is these must be replaced ASAP. Just for fun I called Tucker to find out the cost. The person I wanted wasn't available, but someone else helped me. He didn't seem very familiar and said the wear rings weren't available. New de-icer wheels are $534.60 each, and remember, it needs four!

This machine has the "clam shell" style hood. There is a center hinge and each side lifts up, and is held in the raised position by a support rod, or you can lay it over on the other half of the hood if you only want to work on one side. The left half of the hood is bent out somewhat at the back where it meets the cab. The hood itself, when it was made, has a bent flange at the bottom along the sides that gives the hood some strength. That flange is cracked and would need to be welded. There would be some other straightening involved as well. I would view this as a "must do" as I'm sure that hood flexes back and forth and that's just going to make the crack worse.

The Tucker grille has a frame of 3/4" x 3/4" square tubing with some mesh welded in the center. This is not uncommon with Tuckers, but water got inside that frame (probably through the bolts that hold the hood hinge to the grille frame) and, to use a technical term, "pooched out" the lower horizontal grille frame member. That causes the square tubing to be rounded rather than square. It's a cosmetic issue.

Both kick panels are dented, as is the steel above the windshield and the front part of the roof (that overhangs the windshield frame) is slightly bent in a couple of spots; again cosmetic...

Somewhere along the line someone decided to replace part of the exhaust system. Originally this would have had a two-into-one pipe that exited the hood at the right rear corner and then into a muffler as it ran along the right side "A" pillar. Now the exhaust runs underneath the floor on the left side and exits the muffler by the right rear door. The floor of the machine has been scorched by the muffler, and the present owner added a heat shield to protect the floor from further damage.

The bed of the Tucker struck me as a "hodge-podge"; neither well designed or constructed. The rear half of the bed floor is OSB, the front is expanded metal. The rear vertical portion is not hinged. Perhaps I missed something, but my initial thought was I'd cut it off and start over.

All of the weatherstripping on this machine has been replaced...with the wrong stuff! Tucker uses a weatherstripping that goes all the way around the door skins and also at the front and rear of the hood. It's basically a "bulb" shaped piece of soft rubber that's bonded to a U-shape. The U portion fits around the aluminum skin and is sized to grab it. The bulb does the sealing. This has all been replaced with a type of trim that resembles the U shape. It grabs the aluminum just fine but has little to no sealing. All four of the door latches have pieces of steel bolted to the inside of their respective rear door posts (to make up for the lack of the bulb's thickness when compressed) and so the doors "latch tightly", but it's wrong. I would replace that weatherstripping promptly to keep water out of the cab.

The Craigslist ad describes the paint as being "nice". Tongue-in-cheek I'd say: "compared to what"? The seller told me he had it painted by Maaco a few years ago. I've always thought of Maaco as being a competitor to Earl Scheib, as far as offering super-cheap, low quality paint jobs. But lately Maaco has been trying to upgrade their image. This paint job does nothing toward that objective. Runs in the paint are plentiful. Yes, it's orange and it shines nicely, and from 100 feet away it looks pretty nice... but when standing close to the 'cat, the flaws are readily apparent.

This machine has turn signals. I've never seen that before, but someone thought that was necessary and they added them. There's a lever system attached to the steering column. The roof mounted lights in front are actually turn signals.

On the plus side; it is a 1644, and in my opinion that's the most desirable Tucker configuration. The interior is in really nice condition, decidedly better than any of the three Tuckers I've bought. Also, and I consider this important, many, if not most, Tuckers have had someone who is a self-proclaimed "electrical genius" get into the electrical system. They then make a mess of it. This one seems to have escaped. It also comes with its original Tucker factory manual. Those rarely survive, and somewhat surprisingly, they are not available from Tucker.

When I went to look at this machine I was thinking of buying it in the off season, making some minor repairs and giving it some "love", and then selling it in the fall to make some money. As I looked at this Tucker I saw a number of things I'd address and I started to lose interest. I didn't drive it so I didn't look at all the grousers, I didn't check out the steering or how the transmission shifted, I don't know if the throwout bearing is okay, etc, etc.

When I factor in the cost of the repairs I'd make, add in the amount of time I'd spend, and compare that to what I think would be a fair selling price, it didn't pencil out for me.

However I'm a pretty "picky" guy and don't like to sell stuff that I have to apologize for. Similarly, I want to have confidence in the machines mechanical condition.

firedzr

Blackfoot Tucker,

Now that is a really thorough report! Thanks! Your insight just saved me some valuable time.

We are looking for that vintage of Tucker. Finding the right model and cab configuration, that is in decent shape and priced fairly, has been a challenge.

As one of your regular readers, I appreciate your report.
firedzr

teamster

Yes thanks for the report, I was seriously considering buying that machine before I bought mine from Bill. I have a friend who rode in mine &now wants one. I called him yesterday & told him the price had dropped again on that machine. I will give him your report. Good work. :clap:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Blackfoot Tucker,

Now that is a really thorough report! Thanks! Your insight just saved me some valuable time.

We are looking for that vintage of Tucker. Finding the right model and cab configuration, that is in decent shape and priced fairly, has been a challenge.

As one of your regular readers, I appreciate your report.
firedzr

Thanks for the kind words.

I painted a pretty negative picture, but remember I also admitted I'm "picky".

My first Tucker was a 1980 1543 with a front six-way blade. I decided to sell it, and as part of getting it ready for sale I had it professionally painted for $1500.00. The exterior of the 'cat was painted orange and the roof rack and front blade were painted black. I would give the painter a "B-". I don't recall any runs, but there were some flaws in the paint here and there and the coverage on the driveshafts, for example, was uneven. (When you drove it there was a "zebra effect" as the driveshafts rotated.) The front blade should have been sand-blasted or at least sanded thoroughly prior to painting, but wasn't. So it was painted, and it was black, but it looked so-so.

My second Tucker was a 1979 1642 that my friend Scott and I re-cabbed. That had to be painted inside and out and that painter did a really nice job. He sanded out paint chips on the frame, fixed the few small dents, painted the hood inside and out, etc, etc. He painted it in a booth and I would give that job a solid "A". No runs, no dust in the paint, no uneven coverage. A truly beautiful job.

That's the standard by which I judge snowcat paint jobs.

As far as the 1644 I reviewed, The hood would require painting after straightening, as would the kick panels after fixing the dents and the panel above the windshield. I would remove the "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang" decals and I suspect the paint would be faded differently so the doors would require paint too.

I said something like "I'd probably cut the bed off and start over..." which means the new bed would have to be painted.

So we're now at the point where maybe it makes sense to just do the whole machine and do it right (or at least quite a bit better).

As far as the de-icer wheels. If indeed the guy I spoke with is correct and the wear rings are not available, there are some options. One could contact "the usual suspects" like Sno Trans in ID, Track, Inc in MN, GetSno in VT and see if they have any used de-icer wheels available. Alternatively one could take one of the worn out wear rings to a competent machine shop and have them reverse engineer the part and make a set of new ones in a larger diameter. I would view spending $2K with Tucker as a last resort.

The correct weatherstripping is available. When we re-cabbed the 1642 I bought a roll of the stuff for a few hundred bucks. IIRC I got it from Austin Hardware. (CR Laurence, a vendor of all kinds of weatherstripping wouldn't sell to me because "I'm not a business".

A acquaintance of mine once told me "boats always look better in pictures". He's right of course, but his saying could be paraphrased; "snowcats always look better in pictures" is true as well.

I've been told that Tucker builds between 50-100 Sno-Cats a year. What percentage of their production back then were 1644's? I'd think about 10-15% (just a wild guess), so there really aren't that many out there to choose from.

One thing I didn't mention is the carriers seemed to be in pretty good shape. Unfortunately this machine didn't leave the factory with damper wheels, and that conversion wasn't done so it has the hyfax set-up. In my experience most Tuckers of this era are the same way.

This one definitely needs some work immediately, but one could address those issues now. Then think about how far they want to go as far as paint, the bed, etc and take on those issues later as time and budget allow. You could definitely do worse...

firedzr

Dear Blackfoot Tucker,
I agree with your statement about things "look better in photos". I've travelled many miles to look at a machine only to discover dings, drips, and disappointments that didn't show in the photos.

Also, "condition" is a relative term defined by the seller. What might be excellent to them, may not be acceptable to me (or you and me, in the case of this Tucker). So, in the final analysis, it's a gamble. I have travelled long distances to inspect equipment that was said to be "good" and found it to be darn near perfect. I have also believed a sellers promise of condition and been very disappointed.

My first Tucker was a 1952 443. When we sold it, we told the prospective collector that it was in excellent, even "cherry" condition. He was not disappointed. That ol' gal held 'er own against even the newest, more powerful models even in extreme conditions.

These early machines gave credibility to Mr. Tucker's claim that there is ~ "No road too steep, no snow too deep for a Tucker Sno Cat!"
firedzr