• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Star Trek: The Original Series' surprising role in US civil rights

mak2

The Google on Friday depicts cartoon versions of the crew of the Starship Enterprise – an homage to the legendary television show Star Trek: The Original Series, which celebrates its 46th anniversary on Saturday. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Google designer Ryan Germick said he intended the doodle (pictured above) to be the ultimate geek homage.

Germick is right: As a television series, Star Trek was far ahead of its time. For starters, there was the multiethnic cast, which included Asian-American and African-American actors. And then in November of 1968, there was "Plato's Stepchildren," an episode that featured one of the first interracial kisses in television history. The participants? Captain Kirk, played by William Shatner, and Lieutenant Uhura, played by Nichelle Nichols.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation...nal-Series-surprising-role-in-US-civil-rights

Glink

Site Supporter
Germick is right: As a television series, Star Trek was far ahead of its time. For starters, there was the multiethnic cast, which included Asian-American and African-American actors. And then in November of 1968, there was "Plato's Stepchildren," an episode that featured one of the first interracial kisses in television history. The participants? Captain Kirk, played by William Shatner, and Lieutenant Uhura, played by Nichelle Nichols.

Seems like I was listeing to NPR a while back and they had Lt. Sulu on (George Takei?) I think. Not sure on spelling. Funny guy, good to listen to. I think he might have been gay. So you are right, Multiethnic casts, interracial kissing and a gay-asian pilot. That is like the tri-fecta of Euro-cool. Not to mention they had phasers, photon torpedoes and that nifty transport thingy.
Good show; came on Thursday nights I believe.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on man.......Scotty kept the whole works running! More power Scotty!!:clap::clap::clap:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've probably seen every episode at least 4 times in my life as well as all the spin offs and movies. I loved the show and still will watch them if I see them on.

Several things now such as cell phone design came from the communicator on Star Trek. The bridge design is used in a lot of ground military radar stations today. The doctor table is under development by several companies. And their engine none warp method is under development on a satellite that went out into deep space recently.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Te socila aspectsof the startrek community are a blue print for a politicaly correct society. Onethat is utopian where no oe has to actualy justify their existance. Alisprovided yet everyone wants to acheive excellence.

In Startrek there supposedlyis no money, No wanting and no competition for resources or wealth. Any competion is for sport and is always friendly with all coversations held with respect.

Appaeerently Star TrekandStar Trek NG occur after the human genome is fully mapped........ and altered dramaticaly.

Until then, I guess we are going to have to get along, scrapping with each other over diminishineg resorces and conflicting ideaologies.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Te socila aspectsof the startrek community are a blue print for a politicaly correct society. Onethat is utopian where no oe has to actualy justify their existance. Alisprovided yet everyone wants to acheive excellence.

In Startrek there supposedlyis no money, No wanting and no competition for resources or wealth. Any competion is for sport and is always friendly with all coversations held with respect.

Appaeerently Star TrekandStar Trek NG occur after the human genome is fully mapped........ and altered dramaticaly.

Until then, I guess we are going to have to get along, scrapping with each other over diminishineg resorces and conflicting ideaologies.

:yum: I'm not really laughing at you Franc. But do you ever just watch something for the entertainment value in it and let your mind wonder off to picture a what a perfect world might be like with out political slants to everything? Just curious is all. :flowers:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: I'm not really laughing at you Franc. But do you ever just watch something for the entertainment value in it and let your mind wonder off to picture a what a perfect world might be like with out political slants to everything? Just curious is all. :flowers:

Actualy yes
Big Bang Theory

There was a time when the government was not so entrenched in our daily lives. At that time I watched a really cool escapism scifi called
"Star Trek"

Ever hear of it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Actualy yes

Big Bang Theory

There was a time when the gpovernment was not so entrenched in our daily lives. At that time I watched a really cool escapism scifi called
"Star Trek"

Ever hear of it.

Thanks for an honest answer and yes those where different times, Viet Nam, civil rights and other minor problems of that period. But I did enjoy it as it was an escape for the real world also. :smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for an honest answer and yes those where different times, Viet Nam, civil rights and other minor problems of that period. But I did enjoy it as it was an escape for the real world also. :smile:

I was in the civil rights movement Joec. I do not diminish it. But for those of us at the time it was not as much the government but the social norms we were bucking against.
The government just went along with the prevailing winds. Yes we helped change the law, but we did it by changing people's hearts.

When politicians realized they could harness that same emotion to get re elected,,,,,,, the government went too far.

And now the people's hearts are hardened.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I liked Startrek because the women wore mini skirts & Kirk got all the babes :brows:

I couldn't agree more...hot babes, and the great costumes they always seemed to come up with!

Great family memories watching it together:biggrin:.....Now we seem to migrate to seperate TV's in different rooms...everbody has something THEY like.

Regards, Kirk

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Great show, but I've always felt kinda sorry for Nichelle Nichols. They took their only permanent female character, and
their only permanent black character and rolled them into one ... and then made her a telephone operator! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum: