• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sleigh

dirk

i got my sleigh ready !
and it works just fine.
the snow trac has not any problems pulling it.
lets see if it still goes with 1000kg peoples in it.....:ermm:

Attachments

• P1030474.jpg
    P1030474.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 315

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice light weight looking unit Dirk!

Stay off the steep stuff, and make sure your brakes are working, just in case. Some friends of yours are going to happy with you!

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it would seat 8 to maybe 10 people if you have bench seats along the side.

Are you giving back country tours?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Dirk. I remember when you first started the project. It's turned out great! Can you post a picture or two of the inside? Really man, great job!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dirk,

Are you going to be able to vent some air into the cabin to help keep the windows clear? Roof vents? As we know any snow in the cabin tends to end up on the window glass. I am aware of your heater system....A fan or two in the cabin to stir the air around a bit perhaps??

Also it looks like you might be able to remove the top of the cabin as you can do with a Snow Trac??

Regards, Kirk

snowbird

Sorry I missed your earlier pictures. What are you using to heat the sleigh?
(Looks very professionally done:clap:)

dirk

heating for the sleigh

the cabin is heated with a webasto heater.
the hot air goes under the seats and also under every window.
i need to make some air out vents, but everybody i ask has a different opinion of where to put them.
or low in the backdoor.
or high in the backwall or roof ?
mechanical or just holes ?
then the air intake for the webasto, i can take it from outside or from inside the cabin ?
difficult, difficult, what shall i do ?
so do you have an idea ? with some explenation why if you have please.

tomorrow i gonna make a testdrive with 10 people in it.
so i will keep you informed.
i will make a picture from the inside too.

greetings dirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dirk,

Just a guess, but I would try vents high on the rear. with an exterior cover to keep rear winds at bay. I think your heater is in the front isn't it? This would draw air through the length of the cabin space.

As for the air intake to the heater, it might be wise to have it so you can adjust were it is drawing air from, the cabin or the outside fresh air. A simple plenum with a swinging gate or sliding door so you could mix if you wanted to. Have to teach those in the rear how to operate it, I am assuming.

Let us know how your trip goes, with pictures of course....10 in sleigh, how many in the Snow Trac? You will need some weight in it as well, to help it get the nesssary bite for a big load, I would think...a balance of the gross weight of each would be nice.

Good luck!

Kirk

the old trucker

Dirk is that the Webasto heater at the front of the sleigh ? Is your diesel tank at the front also ? Was it something new that you installed or is it a used unit ? Where do your coolant lines run to & where is your thermostat located ? They have been used in trucks for years.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
old trucker,

I was wondering if the unit he has heats air instead of water, like the diesel truck units do. They make both, and I too wonder what type he has.

Regards, Kirk

the old trucker

old trucker,

I was wondering if the unit he has heats air instead of water, like the diesel truck units do. They make both, and I too wonder what type he has.

Regards, Kirk

My son drives truck & in his. They have Espar hot air heaters but they still run off diesel fuel & battery, same as the Webasto does.

Last edited:

dirk

the webasto is a 3803 airheater.
runs on diesel and no thermostat.
it is 24v so i have 2 batteries i charge all the time.
on full loaded batteries it runs 4 hours.

the test run went good today, i can take 10 people. all in the sleigh.
but i think i can not drive in powdersnow, so i stay on the hard and flat tracks.
i drive 8 km per hour and use only 1st and 2nd gear.
but im afraid for overheating, in warmer weather, because the motor has to work hard.
now it went ok, the trip was short and we had a break in the middle.
i going to make a road for this sightseeingtrip from about 8 km so max 1 hr driving per go.

the steamy windows is ofcourse the problem, so i try the air vents like kirk said.
most of my friend thinks also that it is the best place.

the air intake, i still dont know...
if i take from outside, the air is cold but dry.
if i take from inside, the air is warmer so the sleigh gets warmer sooner but air is wet, because of the snow inside.
but if i take the air from inside i circulate the air better, but maybe the passagers run out of oxigen.....