• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sleigh

dirk

Here a photo of my project.
I made a frame for my sleigh.
The floor is 3.6 meters by 1.8 and the hight is 1.8
The sides are to be made from aluminium and plexiglass.
Inside the people sit back to back on some bench.
I will put a big webasto heater so nicely warm inside.
I hope to fit 8 to 10 passengers and then all of us hope we still move.

I think we do.

against me; The technical papers where you can read that a snow trac is allowed to pull 500 kg.
My machine is not a trac master or a snow master. and of course the over heating........

But, I drive only hard trac, no deep snow and no real uphills.
I go slowwwww, the people want to see something.
My snow trac has a 1600cc engine.
Christer morlind does the same thing and he pulls a sleigh with old couchseats and 12 people (or more)....uphill.
I saw on a picture from a guy from austria here on the forum a sleigh about the same size as mine. (at least i think it was a sleigh)

well we see...
i will keep you informed.
anyway we still have no snow.

Attachments

• P1110362.jpg
    P1110362.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 350

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds good !

Thanks for the picture. We'll be looking for updates :smile:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Good lord man, the metel will cost a fortune. But it's gonna be cool!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep the weight down as much as possible. Remember in the lower gears pulling, the high torque loads this generates. Drive spockets will need have an eye kept on them. 12 people at 150lb is 1,800 lb plus the weight of the sleigh. 2,500lbs would make me a little reluctant to pull with mine, even on the level. Add the 2,400 for the snow trac and you see what I mean? Not sayin it won't work, just some thought should be applied as you do...5K is alot of weight to be out in deep snow with....Or in metric measure the sleigh is 1,500 kg. way more than the tow rating.

Remeber Christer has lots of parts!

Best regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would have no problem pulling it with a snow trac a brake steer rig may have problems with that kind of weight if the tow vehicle isn't large enough

Have fun

dirk

webasto

here is the webasto i'm gonna put to warm the sleigh.
it needs 24 v so i need to change from 12 to 24.
it is old dutch army, but this one is like new.
i tested it and in a few seconds there comes 100 celsius air.
so my passangers are gonna be warm !

i will put the sleigh on the scale when it is ready, so i know what i'm pulling.

Attachments

• P1110365.jpg
    P1110365.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 251

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Keep the weight down as much as possible. Remember in the lower gears pulling, the high torque loads this generates. Drive spockets will need have an eye kept on them. 12 people at 150lb is 1,800 lb plus the weight of the sleigh. 2,500lbs would make me a little reluctant to pull with mine, even on the level. Add the 2,400 for the snow trac and you see what I mean? Not sayin it won't work, just some thought should be applied as you do...5K is alot of weight to be out in deep snow with....Or in metric measure the sleigh is 1,500 kg. way more than the tow rating.

Remeber Christer has lots of parts!

Best regards, Kirk

Well the other way to look at it is that with 12 people, you need to get a heavy rope with that many harness slots in it, so you can have them tow a broken critter back to the barn... Just say'n:flowers:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Foggy,

I have watched your Vids and the loads you put behind your snow trac while build ing your cabin. Quite a load you were pulling. Worked go it looked like untill you broke the mid beam, with the 4 bogies on it. Not good that far from anything......

Did you wait till spring to fix it or some thing? I cann't remember. You are on of the few I know of here to have had an IMP as well. How do they compare, disreguarding the break down you experianced...

dds can pull some pretty big loads as well with his in Ak...

Regards, Kirk

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Foggy,

I have watched your Vids and the loads you put behind your snow trac while build ing your cabin. Quite a load you were pulling. Worked go it looked like untill you broke the mid beam, with the 4 bogies on it. Not good that far from anything......

Did you wait till spring to fix it or some thing? I cann't remember. You are on of the few I know of here to have had an IMP as well. How do they compare, disreguarding the break down you experianced...

dds can pull some pretty big loads as well with his in Ak...

Regards, Kirk

That was on the late Roughwoods Snowtrac, it was very late in the season and the river ice went out so repairs were done in the summer after crossing the river by boat and driving a fourwheeler back with a welder and such. Then drove it into the woods and waited til freeze up to bring it home. His cabin is about 800 yards from mine and was built two years later!

Yes he was pulling very large loads of logs for his cabin, he fared out better than I expected concidering the loads and distances!

wesley

My old Weasel had two loops welded on the back corners. They were for tying ropes to pull troops on skis.:w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the broken mid beam had nothing to do with towed loads and everything to do with weight on the st and terrain it went accross any snow trac owner who has not broken this part would do good to drive a 2 inch od square tube all the way through that section and it will never break again i just cut both mine off and removed bird terds from previous fixes and replaced it with 2x1/4 tube and now it's indestructable

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
the broken mid beam had nothing to do with towed loads and everything to do with weight on the st and terrain it went accross any snow trac owner who has not broken this part would do good to drive a 2 inch od square tube all the way through that section and it will never break again i just cut both mine off and removed bird terds from previous fixes and replaced it with 2x1/4 tube and now it's indestructable

Yes and no on that. When you are pulling excessive loads it is clearly hard on the engine and drive, but that load is also transferred to stretching of the track, over the rear wheel, which in turn pulls the entire unit down as if it was adding weight to it, add the rough trail with the entire unit being slaped against the ground while pulling and that is what broke the tube.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Foggy,

Add to that, many, many years of use. Some of witch could have been over loaded use. Any way dds, does the midbeam tube go clear across the frame? If one were to put the 2" square tubing through, do you need just one piece of tubing or two, one from each side? This looks like a good thing to do to an ST especially if your going to give her a good work out....

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mine was bent and messed up with prevouus repairs so i used 2 sections on mine driven 12 inches in than welded at the outer ends and plug welded inside down the tube if your inner tube is undamaged an relitively clean you should be able to drive a full piece through if you have lots of rust and and dirt i would suggest 2 sections about 3 feet welded out at the end and plug welded inside in severaal places. fogtender is right weight and horse power can be the straw that breaks the cammels back with a fatiuged part but the damage started wwith heavy loads on the fenders high speed and rough ground on your way to go moose hunting

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,Your the unlucky one that usually show us the stress points.