• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hyundai/Kia now in top 5 most considered auto manufacturers.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Since it's a subscription site, I can't post a link or even cut and paste, but Hyundai/Kia just knocked Nissan down to the 6th most considered brand when people are shopping for new cars. Who would have thought that ten years ago?!

In case you are wondering, Ford is number one with 29% of the people considering a Ford product. Toyota, still hanging in there, is number two with 22% of the people shopping considering a Toyota. Chevrotet and Honda are in a virtual tie for 3rd/4th with about 21% each and Hyundai/Kia is 5th with 19%.

Actually the study only counts Hyundai and not Kia. If Kia (more expensive SUV's but less expensive cars than Hyundai) was counted, the Hyundai/Kia combo would nudge out Chevrolet and Honda and be in third position by themselves. Times they are a changing. Who all is going to jump on GM's new IPO when it comes out soon now? I'm assuming that will officially make my old GM stock completely worthless.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guessing that people are considering the Hyundai/Kia brands for 2 reasons. PRICE and STYLE. I know a few people who bought them early on based on PRICE and regretted it. But now it seems that the quality/reliability issues have been minimized and that is no longer holding people back from the brands.

I recently drove a Hyundai Sonata for a couple days. The car was very stylish, handled reasonably well, I was not thrilled with the engine as I thought it wound up like a child's top. Nothing seemed to impart an air of quality, in fact the plastics seemed to be cheap. But it had lots of features, and it looked good, and it was, in fact, inexpensive.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
after spending 3 years stationed in korea any car that can stand up to their cab drivers must be a good car ad hyunadi's were the choice of the cab drivers.i think the reliability problems were related to the fact americains thaught cars should last 20 plus years not the case now days with any new car wich is why i refuse to buy new any more i won't pay that price for a new car that i can't get ots of good service out of it after i have payed it off.now i just start cheap and rebuild last truck was a 76 chevy i got 7 years out of it befor the body fell off new truch is a 82 with a 6.2 diesel now in my 3rd year of ownership

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I own a 2003 KIA van, and to be honest it was better than the Plymouth it replaced. It has larger V6 engine, more power, better gas mileage, more weight than the Plymouth and handles better with more standard features. All in all it has been as good as most cars I've own in fit and finish as well as held up well.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the only thing that could mke them better is if they would import some of those kimchi diesels kia builds a look alike cj-3 with a small 4 cylinder diesel got to test drive one when i was there great little rig they also had 6 cylinder diesels in their m-715's another awsom improvement on a great truck.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and S-I-L have both been driving Kia's for just over 2 years and both love them. I must admit that I like to travel in the wife's Sorento. It replaced a Cadillac that, as a passenger, I thought was one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever traveled in over long distances. I can travel in the Sorento for 4 or 5 hours, get out and I'm not stiff, crippled, unable to walk or limping. I never would have believed it but I would buy another. Great value for money and with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, keep it for 10 years throw it away and buy another.

(Not to mention that it was about $40,000 less than the Escalade that she thought she wanted)