• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Sprite for sale on Ebay

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought someone might be interested in this. Its being auctoned off by SafetyOne. Anyone have a clue on what something like this is worht?

SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS MACHINE or others, PLEASE call Barb at 800-485-7669 or email her at: BARB@SAFETYONEINC.COM.

THIOKOL SPRYTE 1201C MODEL IN GREAT CONDITION!! THIS IS THE LATEST MODEL OF THE 1201 SPRYTE WHICH HAS THE LARGER AND MORE POWERFULL 300 CUBIC INCH FORD INDUSTRIAL ENGINE WITH THE C6 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. IT ALSO HAS THE LARGER AND MUCH MORE RELIABLE OC12 REAR END. THE ORIGINAL STEEL FUEL TANK HAS BEEN REPACED WITH A CUSTOM STAINLESS STEEL TANK TO AVOID THE RUST PROBLEMS COMMON TO THIS MODEL. THE MACHINE WAS ORIGINALLY 10 FEET WIDE WITH 45 INCH TRACKS BUT HAS HAD THE TRACKS CUT DOWN PROFESIONALLY TO 30 INCH WIDTH. THE OVERALL MACHINE WIDTH IS APPOX 95 INCHES. THERE IS NOT AN HOURMETER IN THIS UNIT SO HOURS/MILEAGE ARE UNKNOWN. THE TRACKS, SPROKETS AND BOGEY TIRES ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND THIS UNIT SHOWS EXCELLENT CARE. IT HAS RECENTLY HAD THE FLUIDS CHANGED AND A TUNE UP PERFORMED. IT IS TIGHT WITH ONLY THE TYPICAL COUPLE OF OIL DRIPS FROM REAR END. IT IS READY TO GO TO WORK TODAY. AS USED EQUIPMENT THIS ITEM IS SOLD AS IS WHERE IS WITH NO WARRANTIES OR OTHER REPRESENTATIONS. BUYER IS ENCOURAGED TO INSPECT AND DRIVE THE SUBJECT VEHICLE PRIOR TO BIDDING.

Attachments

• 0b_12.JPG
    0b_12.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 47_12.JPG
    47_12.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,681
  • 61_12.JPG
    61_12.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,685

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
3 more photos from the aucton.

On a purely opinioinated note, I will say that the more of these types of machines I see, the more I like the Snow Trac with its car like interior that includes a spaceous cabin. A lot of these types of unit seem like they are pretty tight fits inside.

Attachments

• 97_12.JPG
    97_12.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,687
  • d7_12.JPG
    d7_12.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,662
  • da_12.JPG
    da_12.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,630

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,

I think we sometimes forget that these units are basically made for moving equipment,supplies, grooming or in the ski industry . Your Snow Trac was developed as a troop carrier . It is the perfect recreational rig and is well proven all over the world . I think that is one reason your Snow Trac has more interior room .
I really do not know where my Kristi KT7 fits in this picture as it never made production .With very comfortable seating for 4 and a large 4x4 inside cargo area ,my guess would be the Commutications antenna and crew transport business .
In 1972 ,the county of San Juan in Utah ordered a KT7 but it does not state what department it was for . I would bet it was for Search & Rescue in the Sheriff's Department . The article also does not say if San Juan county ever recieved one ,which is not likey since the company folded about the same time .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen I think you are correct in your assessment of these things. In the early days of the snowcats it appears that most of the units were designed to accomodate people and some cargo. As they progressed, the designs seemed to evolve into more work oriented vehicles and now they seem to be very specialized vehicles. Groomers do nothing but groom and there are trail groomer for snowmobile trails that are different from ski slope groomers that are capable of carving the slopes. Transport vehicles for people are far larger than the little snowcats we all play with.

Thiokol/LMC/DMC seems to be one of the companies that split the difference and constantly evolved with their designs. The Sprite above is from 1980 and obviously is far more task oriented than the multi-purpose design of a 1950's designed Snow Trac.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
THE MACHINE WAS ORIGINALLY 10 FEET WIDE WITH 45 INCH TRACKS BUT HAS HAD THE TRACKS CUT DOWN PROFESIONALLY TO 30 INCH WIDTH. THE OVERALL MACHINE WIDTH IS APPOX 95 INCHES.
This modification leaves a lot of open area between the tracks under the snow cat to catch and drag in the snow. A standard 36 inch wide track Spryte is only about 99.5 inches total width. This narrower track width was probably done to decrease the cost of replacing the wide track rubber belts and grousers which would add thousands to the track replacement costs. Cheap alternative to doing the job right. The axles on the wide track are actually longer than a standard model to accommodate the wider track to the inside by the frame.

IT IS TIGHT WITH ONLY THE TYPICAL COUPLE OF OIL DRIPS FROM REAR END.
Oil leaks are not typical.:confused: I have found that when the rear axle or drop gear cases are worked on, many times the outer axle housing bolts are not resealed. On all three LMC snow cats I have worked on this year I've had to reseal these bolts. These bolts pass through the drop gear case box and secure the axle housings to the rear end. I usually use silicone pipe seal on the threaded portion of the bolt and blue silicone gasket material on the head of the bolt. I have no oil leaks in the rear end after completing this task.

Other than these minor items the cat does look good for its age. As with any used equipment when buying, look it over very carefully!!!!

Note: The Distance Between Tracks And The Amount Of Snow On A Standard Track Spryte Or LMC 1200 Series In That Area.
P3220053 B.JPG