• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Importing a Snow Trac

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with importing a snow trac? I have found several overseas in Europe and Asia but I have no idea how to pick one up at a port or what I have to do to get it through Customs. Any information anyone has will be very helpful.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm sure B Skurka will post on this when he returns Sunday or Monday. But in the mean time I would start looking for an import broker. They will handle all the paper work and deal with Customs for you. Expect to pay at least $2,500 (minimum) to import a Snow Trac sized vehicle. That would be the cheapest. What is your price range and what are you looking for. I may be able to help you locate one here in the States first. I know where there is a Cherry convertable top Hunter green Snow Trac. Price is 9 grand but is one of the nicest I have seen.:thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gordon Robertson and I both imported ours. I brought mine over from England, I believe Gordon did the same thing. Currently I'm sitting in the Las Vegas airport (and am stuck here for 6 more hours!!!). I hired a freight company and an import agent to bring my Snow Trac into the US. The hardest part was the bloody paperwork, after I got the clearances, it was smooth and surprisingly fast. The biggest problems I encountered were finding people on the other side at a reasonable price, and coordinating the effort. I was very fortunate that the seller became a friend through the entire process and was very very accomodating of the delays and he took care of the transportation to the dock and even into the container.

Once at the dock, all the fluids need to be drained. (Oil and Gas). In my case, mine did not have a gas tank attached so it was simple to empty the gas. But the oil needs to be drained too, and then the Snow Trac needs to be pushed into the container and secured. Mine was secured at all four corners with stout rope. Cleats were nailed into the floor of the container and the ropes were attached to the cleats.

Prices I was quoted ranged from $2500 to $5500 complete with delivery to my warehouse/dock facility. Most shippers only want to bring the container to port in NYC and then you have to get it from the port via a trucking company.

The way to get it through customs is to hire a customs broker to clear it for you.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I have found one at a reasonable price that appears to be in great condition. It is a snow master St4B model #2095 with 600 hours on it. The freight is included to Seattle Washington. I have worked out a reasonable price with an equipment broken on the sellers end to have it shipped. I just dont know what I have to do from my end. It is an easy drive to pick it up but it sounds like I need to have someone else get it through customs for me? Any info anyone has on a west coast customs broker would be appreciated.
Kevin

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I get to my office I'll see if I still have the people I used to clear customs and forward their contact information to you. It sounds like the only issue you need to worry about customs?

We have a member here at the Forums who posts under the name PineRidge. He imports all sorts of things, he provided me names of customs brokers in the past. If I can't find my stuff, I'll contact him for you and get the information from Mike.