• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

im confused on which way to go

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well time for a rare glimpse of seriousness from your old friend Rusty.

im going in to talk to someone about a job today. and if they want me, im not sure what to do. it is hourly plus commission at a jewelry store. now i believe that this is something i can do very well, considering the only thing i know how to do is customer service. its a relaxed environment, and theres room for advancement, so i think that this would be a good way to go. but heres the question. if im wanted there, do i do it? do i leave where i am for something with no guarentees, but that i really do believe i can excell? or do i stay where its safe but only make enough money to pay my bills. this is really eating at me i dont know what to do. i really need to get out of where i am, becaust i am not happy in the least, but im also scared to leave what i have

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dear Diamond Eyes,

Please tell me what you do now. I have some reservations about the move but need to have an idea of the stability of your current position, employer and market.

You'll need to check closer, but I'd guess that due to the current market conditions, jewelry sales are down. Consumers are cutting back on luxury items.

Is there any way you can keep your current position and work evenings at the new job? This would allow you to keep your hopefully stable current position while checking out the viability of the new.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well i sell parts for volvos. im not going anywhere anytime soon, we are a small dealer and therefore i contain some sort of usefulness. i dont know about working there PT and only on eenings/weekends.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
That's a tough one Rusty. How long has the jewelry store been in business? Are they established with a good reputation? Are they a chain or family owned? Does the current staff/owner know some of his/her customers by name? What's the competition like? How many other jewlery stores are there in town? Do they do other things like watch repair? How many openings hvae they had in the last year? (turnover)

These are some things to keep in mind from my perspective. I understand the desire for something better along with the unsurity of giving up the safety of your current situation. You have youth on your side which is a plus. Have you thought about going back to school at night for additional education involving a career that appears more stable?

Anyway...just some thoughts to help you along.

Good luck, which ever path you choose.....:thumb:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
thanks. its Belden Jewelers, theyve been around for a while. and ive been int here and the people are real helpful adn friendly, least at my local place.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
See how the interview feels; the decision may become more obvious. Of course, you're probably talking to an expert in sales who will by nature do a great job of promoting the position if he sees you in the role, so slight consideration must be given there.

Personally, I'd rather sell auto parts than jewelry; always a market there, people know they need what they came in for, and I like the smell better. However, I've never done either so if you like jewlery, and see a future there, it's sure worth considering. Just remember there may be some hard times with it [out of the guy still looking for a job, and not gaining on the ever-growing honey do list] so is that worth it [only you know the answer there] ?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Important questions to me:
Will the hourly wage come close to letting you meet your bills when sales are slow?
How long will they give you to build up your sales technique before cuting you loose for failure to meet quota while the economy is in the tank?

either way you choose, good luck!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets see, Volvo parts sales, customers come in to buy what they need
when their car breaks down or needs maintenance. They are not going to buy what they don't need. Yes maybe you have a captive customer because they can't get some parts elsewhere. There are not many options on the parts, ball joints are ball joints.

Jewelry sales, customers know what they would like to buy. But there are so many options to choose from. It's going to take a lot more than just a jewelry "presenter" to make a great salary here. You have to be a suggestive seller here. If they want a 1 carat diamond in a princess cut and they have $XXX to spend, you need to show them how they can get a 1½ carat diamond with a little less clarity that no one will ever see.

If you're a good suggestive seller, jewelry sales can be lucrative. If all you want to do is show them what they ask for, you'll make a living and you won't smell the grease from the service department.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
lol. i didnt feel like going over. my appearance anyway would probably immediately disqualify me for that kind of job

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
lol. i didnt feel like going over. my appearance anyway would probably immediately disqualify me for that kind of job

Having 4 between the ages of 17 and 25.....Do not attempt to understand the logic. We have not been programmed to recieve. Besides, It leads to eventual hair loss.