• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Saddam and the Nazi Party in the 1930's....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The History channel did a program on the Nazi Party and its rise to power in the 1930's and how there was a Arab man that was closely aligned with the Nazi party that eventually moved Saddam and Iraq to being what it was before the US invaded it. It is too involved for me to explain it all in this thread, but if you get a chance to view it, it will help you to understand how Saddam came to power and made the choices that he did in life. I searched the History Channel for a repeat of the program, but there is none scheduled at this time. The name of the program is "Saddam and the Third Reich". If you should see a advertisement for the next time it airs, please advise and try to watch it. To understand the politics of today, you need to understand the history........ Junk....

OregonAlex

Re: Saddam and the Nazi Party in the 1930's

wow.. really? and all this time I though it was us the USA which put Saddam into power in Iraq by suppling him with money and arms to overthrow the previous regime. I will have to see if Tivo come up with anything went I search for "Nazi" or "Saddam". I doubt it will find anything come to think of it... you said the History Channel.. hmm.. only have rabbit ears. bummer.

OkeeDon

I found this review:
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Few people realize that the Baath party was actually formed upon the principles and organizational structure of the Nazi party. Iraq, because of its oil and hatred of Jews, was an important battleground between the Axis and Allied powers in World War II. Nazi propaganda was broadcast throughout Baghdad, and Iraqis often went on rampages against Jews throughout the war. One of the most ardent Nazi supporters during WWII was named Khairallah Talfah. Talfah was Saddam's uncle. After the war, many of the key Iraqi Nazi supporters, all of whom evaded prosecution, wound up involved in Saddam's rise to power. This special examines the key individuals of the Iraqi-Nazi connection, the little-known battle for Iraq in WWII, and the strange link to Saddam Hussein.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

OregonAlex said:
wow.. really? and all this time I though it was us the USA which put Saddam into power in Iraq by suppling him with money and arms to overthrow the previous regime.

Hmmm . . . your beliefs are not that surprising given your political affiliations.

I'm sorry to announce this but the USA is not responsible for all the evil in the world. In fact, it's safe to say the USA is responsible for a lot more good in the world then it will probably ever be given credit for.

:a1:

BoneheadNW

That is extremely interesting. Definitely a must see. By the by, many of the programs on the history channel can be rented on DVD. I will check with my wife when I get home (she has the rental info on her computer).
Bone

BoneheadNW

PBinWA said:
Hmmm . . . your beliefs are not that surprising given your political affiliations.
The same can be said of you and just about everybody else for that matter.
Bone

OkeeDon

PBinWA said:

I'm sorry to announce this but the USA is not responsible for all the evil in the world. In fact, it's safe to say the USA is responsible for a lot more good in the world then it will probably ever be given credit for.
That's absolutely true, in a generic sense. But, you seem to be saying the opposite; that the USA never makes a mistake, or, at least, if they do, you don't want to hear about it. That ostrich-like behavior is often behind the "holier than thou" pronouncements of the right.

Is it your position that the money, chemical and biological weapons we supplied to Saddam when we considered him an ally against the Iranians, had nothing to do with the resulting situation? The reason why the Bush folks were so certain that Iraq had WMD is because Rummy was one of the ones who gave it to them! It never occurred to them that Saddam might have gotten rid of it; Bush and company certainly never would have, and they ascribed their own motives to the "enemy". It really boils down to this thought by the Bush folks: "If he acts like we would act, he's really dangerous. Therefore, we better take him out, quick."

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

OkeeDon said:
That's absolutely true, in a generic sense. But, you seem to be saying the opposite; that the USA never makes a mistake, or, at least, if they do, you don't want to hear about it. That ostrich-like behavior is often behind the "holier than thou" pronouncements of the right.

Is it your position that the money, chemical and biological weapons we supplied to Saddam when we considered him an ally against the Iranians, had nothing to do with the resulting situation? The reason why the Bush folks were so certain that Iraq had WMD is because Rummy was one of the ones who gave it to them! It never occurred to them that Saddam might have gotten rid of it; Bush and company certainly never would have, and they ascribed their own motives to the "enemy". It really boils down to this thought by the Bush folks: "If he acts like we would act, he's really dangerous. Therefore, we better take him out, quick."

No, Don. What I was inferring to was that certain people of certain political affiliations have a tendency towards always perceiving that the USA is responsible for a lot of bad things that the USA isn't entirely responsible for. The mere fact that OE stated he thought the whole situation in Iraq was entirely a USA created situation is evidence of this.

My understanding was that the USA sold arms to Iraq at a time when Iran was taking US citizens hostage and doing a lot of other bad things that Iran continues to do today. I'm sure at the time the intent was for the arms to be used against Iran and not to kill Kurds or invade Kuwait. I think that the whole thing was a bad judgement call that I'm sure many of those people involved regret. However, these sorts of things are never black and white and sometimes it is impossible to see just how bad things could get. Hindsight is 20/20 and it is easy for us to look back and pass judgement but it is not something that is productive. The real gain is to use the information we learned from our past mistakes to not repeat them again.

I believe that the current administration understood what sort of animal they were dealing with and to a certain degree knew that this was a mess that the USA was partially responsible for and that the USA had to be responsible and clean up the mess it helped create. I also believe that a lot of other countries as well as Iraq itself were also responsible for the mess but unfortunately few of them were responsible enough to step up to the plate.

I understand that it is would have been political suicide to openly state this but it is something that needed to be done.

I know the following will be twisted against me but I don't care:

Grown people take responsibility for their actions. If those actions go bad then they need to do what is necessary to make it better. I believe this is what is happening in Iraq today. Now there are those people that may choose to be opportunistic and claim that they didn't support any of this in the first place but since this is a democratic society there will always be those people who are in the minority. In my view there is little benefit complaining about the past decisions and trying to hide from what needs to be done to resolve the problem.

So in summary, I didn't say that the USA doesn't make mistakes. What I said is that the USA doesn't get credit for a lot of good that it does and more often gets bashed for the mistakes that it makes.

OkeeDon

So in summary, I didn't say that the USA doesn't make mistakes. What I said is that the USA doesn't get credit for a lot of good that it does and more often gets bashed for the mistakes that it makes.
Yes, you did say that. However, it had little to do with the subject at hand. You also said,
...certain people of certain political affiliations have a tendency towards always perceiving that the USA is responsible for a lot of bad things that the USA isn't entirely responsible for. The mere fact that OE stated he thought the whole situation in Iraq was entirely a USA created situation is evidence of this.
How do you make this connection? OE made an accurate statement. How is that a perception that the USA is responsible for things they didn't do?

And, why do you believe that it is only "certain people" of "certain political affiliations" who are guilty of this? That's a narrow-minded and bigoted statement if I ever saw one; prejudice and bigotry is another fairly common characteristic of the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Strikes me that we have gotten to a personal level and left objectivity in the dust.

The reality is both sides tend to distort things. Generally I would suggest that the left gets away with more distortion because they often make things warm & fuzzy and emotional and generally speaking 'the press' leans to the left so they allow them to get away with a bit more. But FOX, while not terribly objective either, seems to be somewhat of a counterbalance to CBS, CNN, ABC, PBS and NBC. I discount all the blatantly right and left wing talk show hosts as boobs, unfortunately too many people get their version of the news from the likes of Limbaugh (who can be entertaining) and Frankin (who really needs to stop being so bitter).

No question that the US is NOT the root of all evil. No question that we do more good than harm. We did not single handedly pick and install Saddam, we did some assistance.

OregonAlex

PBinWA said:

one word..

WOW!

do you consider PBS a neutral media body?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saddam/interviews/aburish.html