• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Does Anyone Like The New Jeeps?

humor_me

I don't get what Jeep's latest offering (Wrangler Unlumited 4Dr) is trying to shoot for. They're turning this into a softie mall rat. They need to quit trying to turn it into a Hummer and take a giant step back to the 60's and make a basic, utility offroad vehicle. I guess I can only hope they'll come out with a cheap, basic, modern chunk of steel instead of plastic some day.

BTW, they've ruined the Land Rover with the latest creations too. (Give me a Series or a Defender any day:thumb: )

I guess the trouble is - I don't think any of the new vehicles are as good as what they're replacing.:eek:

What was DCX thinking when they made the Dodge Nitro, or the Caliber? Or the Jeep Compass, Patriot, or Commander?:yum: These vehicles are just plain ugly. It really surprises me that they sell as well as they do.

No wonder Detroit's in trouble these days.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with you...

I'll take a CJ7 or any of the old Toyota/Land Rover vehicles over what's currenly offered.

AndyM

Charter Member
humor_me said:
What was DCX thinking when they made the Dodge Nitro, or the Caliber? Or the Jeep Compass, Patriot, or Commander?:yum: These vehicles are just plain ugly. It really surprises me that they sell as well as they do.

The Caliber is now their smallest model, and weighs over 3,000 pounds.
They just spent all of their resources developing that one, and the Nitro?
Does someone need to remind them that gasoline is over two dollars per gallon and the Japanese manufacturers are focusing on smaller models like the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit?

humor_me said:
No wonder Detroit's in trouble these days.

Apparently they didn't learn their lesson from the mid 1970's. Consumers were flocked to Datsuns and Volkswagens, but Chrysler Corporation offered such tanks like the Grand Fury and the Newport... if you wanted a compact, a Volare was the best they could do.
The only thing changed in the last 30 years is the names of their models. :rolleyes:

humor_me

bczoom said:
I'm with you...

I'll take a CJ7 or any of the old Toyota/Land Rover vehicles over what's currenly offered.

I don't need a radio, an airbag, or air conditioning in my Jeep. To me the CJ7 got ruined as soon as they turned the tailgate into a door. (or is that ALL CJ7's?)

The Toyota FJ is one of the ugliest vehicles in a long time too! But people are buying them right & left.:confused:

humor_me

AndyM said:
The Caliber is now their smallest model, and weighs over 3,000 pounds.
They just spent all of their resources developing that one, and the Nitro?
Does someone need to remind them that gasoline is over two dollars per gallon and the Japanese manufacturers are focusing on smaller models like the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit?

Apparently they didn't learn their lesson from the mid 1970's. Consumers were flocked to Datsuns and Volkswagens, but Chrysler Corporation offered such tanks like the Grand Fury and the Newport... if you wanted a compact, a Volare was the best they could do.
The only thing changed in the last 30 years is the names of their models. :rolleyes:

AndyM,
Trouble is, DCX isn't the only one. Pretty soon the gov't may be bailing out GM & Ford just like they did with Chrysler in the late 70's.

I own a '03 Neon and just for kicks looked into the Caliber - It sucks. If they want impress me, they should get the Mercedes Benz A Class and the Smart car in here as soon as they can. And what the hell are they thinking about a Korean-built "world engine" to put in their vehicles.:eek: :pat:

AndyM

Charter Member
humor_me said:
I own a '03 Neon and just for kicks looked into the Caliber - It sucks. If they want impress me, they should get the Mercedes Benz A Class and the Smart car in here as soon as they can.

I wasn't sure what the M-B A Class was, so I did a Google search...

Now that's the car DCX should be using as the Dodge subcompact model.
Change the grill on the front, put a Dodge logo on the back, and build it somewhere like Belvidere IL, and I'll buy one in a heartbeat!

300px-Mercedes-Benz_W169_20060311.jpg

humor_me

AndyM said:

Change the grill on the front, put a Dodge logo on the back, and build it somewhere like Belvidere IL, and I'll buy one in a heartbeat!

Exactly!:cool2: And, I don't get why MB isn't selling this here.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
AndyM said:

Never happen thanks to your local EPA and other govern(mental) morons who have no idea what they are doing.

(Emmissions and crash testing would never pass.)

VW's been selling a 3-cyl, TDi (diesel), 70 mpg car in Europe for a while. Why not here? See above.

humor_me

Av8r3400 said:
Never happen thanks to your local EPA and other govern(mental) morons who have no idea what they are doing.

VW's been selling a 3-cyl, TDi (diesel), 70 mpg car in Europe for a while. Why not here? See above.

Red tape and beauracracy is killing this country (so is the PC mania):mad:

AndyM

Charter Member
Av8r3400 said:

There's no reason they couldn't modify these for export to the U.S.
It probably wouldn't take that much.

Av8r3400 said:

I've seen that one too...
It goes back to my post in another thread, where I said the oil companies won't allow practical vehicles in this country, by working through government agencies to make the rules too stringent to allow things that makes sense.

cj7

Well I'll defend the jeep!

I have seen a new JK upclose and personnal on the trail... the new jeep performs as well or better as the previous TJ...

The one my buddy bought is still stock. The first couple of club rides he drove it on stock tires and no lift no he has 32" mudtires and a 2" lift for now. This is a basic mod that is commenly made to alot of jeeps.

IMHO it is much like any other jeep from the past.. they all have there good parts and their bad parts.. anyone that has owned one and off-roads them seriously has modified them!

This jeep comes with a longer wheel-base ( which is often changed on the older ones) and a longer axle width ( which is very often changed)

Discs brakes on all four corners
No need for a slip yoke eliminator
Lifting it is simple... 35" tires with a 4" lift that cost about 600 bucks..
Solid and longer control arms over the stock TJ arms

The styling is still there too.. 7 slot grill and exterior door and hood hardware....jeep has had this style way before the Hummer!

Now I am not saying that I am running out and buying one.. but I think it does deserve a good look and credit where it is due....not to mention that you can get a Rubicon version (selectable lockers and 4:1 transfer case) that is a big bang for the buck right off the lot!

Something that has not been offered in the past..before the Tj Rubicon

I always chuckle to myself when the new jeeps come out.. as we never seem to like change much at all .... I read some story about new jeep models in the 50's.. folks did not care for the changes then either.. so why should we like them now..LOL

Have fun with whatever jeep you drive!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I doubt we will ever see a 'basic utillity' rig again... too many safety standards implimented now.... But I am with you.. if I could buy something more basic I would be there in line to get one too!

humor_me

cj7 said:
Oh and I doubt we will ever see a 'basic utillity' rig again... too many safety standards implimented now.... But I am with you.. if I could buy something more basic I would be there in line to get one too!

I guess that's why my ideal Jeep is a couple of plain old Jeeps - a CJ5 /7 and an FC150 / 170 to carry stuff and do chores on the ranch.:cool2:

Of course, if I happened to win a new one in a sweepstakes, then it would be the ideal Jeep.:whistle:

cj7

FC's !!!!!!!

Now we are talkin!

ever see one of these?

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Siblings/Fleetvan.html

I got to drive one not too long ago... it sure is a bit different. the jeep handled much better than I thought it would... but it is a bit nose heavy..

I always say they stopped making jeeps in 1986 (last year of the cj7)

But I do give credit to the TJ's and the new JK where it is due...

humor_me

cj7 said:
FC's !!!!!!!

Now we are talkin!

ever see one of these?

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Siblings/Fleetvan.html

I got to drive one not too long ago... it sure is a bit different. the jeep handled much better than I thought it would... but it is a bit nose heavy..

I always say they stopped making jeeps in 1986 (last year of the cj7)

But I do give credit to the TJ's and the new JK where it is due...

CJ7,
I've wanted an FC ever since I was about 10 and saw one from the city spraying for mosquitos.:thumb: Talk about a utility!! vehicle. I wish there were more of them around. They are fairly hard to find. I'd like to find an FC 150 and restore it (if original parts are available) or build it to modern specs (I think the Chevy Colorado chassis is about a good size fit plus it has an inline 5 cylinder - sort of old school style). I understand that you can get cabs and some sheetmetal from Mahindra.
Please forgive me:tiphat: , but I guess I'm :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: a little too much (I could yak about this stuff all day n night).

Have a happy Thanksgiving