Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Preparedness Forum

Preparedness Forum Emergency Preparedness and General Preparedness discussion, Bug out Bag etc.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,809 Times in 550 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

I need to store more fuel especially Diesel as the generator and a lot of other equipment I have are diesel. I think I am going to look for a used farm tank, the kind on legs with gravity feed a 300 gallon one would be nice and than I can buy the farm diesel too ( cheaper with no road taxes ) I don't know about storing much gas as it goes bad fast and is more dangerous to have around. I could also use some more canned meat. Marty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (02-17-2020), jim slagle  (02-16-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 02:25 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,825 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Marty, I don't know where you're at but if you're out in the country in any shape or form and have diesel equipment, get an agricultural exemption. You can't use the red diesel on the road but for running ag equipment and generators, it's great.

We have a 300 gallon gravity discharge tank at the farm but at the house I use 55 gallon drums. Don't ask me why but I started off with one drum many years ago and just kept on going down that road.

Most of my equipment around the house is now diesel but I still have to keep gas for the Gator and the generators. It's a real pain in the butt having to rotate that stuff. I usually keep between 30 and 50 gallons of gas for the generators but when I get my whole house back-up generator installed this year that'll drop down to about 5 gallons … I hope.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (02-17-2020), m1west (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:02 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,473 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

If you lived closer, I would give you a 300 gal. gravity diesel tank and stand. I have two laying on the ground now.
Machines I use have fuel tanks of over 200, and some are to tall for the tank stands to work by gravity. I would hate to say how many of these went to salvage yards in the mid West..

Some cut off the end and use them as a large burn barrel, and they last a good while...

Look and you will find them. Ask a California farmer. I bet the same thing happened out there..

I am converting my portable gen set to run a Hartz 35hp diesel for the reason of fuel life myself.

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 300 H and H For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,825 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 H and H View Post

I am converting my portable gen set to run a Hartz 35hp diesel for the reason of fuel life myself.

Regards, Kirk
I have two gas generators, one is an old Craftsman model that I bought 20 years ago and the other is a Yamaha inverter that I bought to power the 5th wheel. Both are on the small side but can power what I need to power at the house. The only reason that I keep 50 gallons of gas around is to keep the generators running for a week during an outage and we haven't had one that long in ages. Rotating gasoline is a pain in the butt. Hopefully, getting the whole house back-up generator will cure that problem.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
I have two gas generators, one is an old Craftsman model that I bought 20 years ago and the other is a Yamaha inverter that I bought to power the 5th wheel. Both are on the small side but can power what I need to power at the house. The only reason that I keep 50 gallons of gas around is to keep the generators running for a week during an outage and we haven't had one that long in ages. Rotating gasoline is a pain in the butt. Hopefully, getting the whole house back-up generator will cure that problem.
In my opinion diesel implements are the only way to go. I didn't play with diesel until I bought a boat with turbo diesels. Since then I switched to diesel generators and when I get another tractor it will be diesel too. They can sit forever and start right up not to mention 10kw yanmar generator 1/2 gallon per hour and a 6kw I have at the cabin about 1/4 gallon per hour its pull start and starts better than any gas one I ever had especially after its a year old and the carburetor screwed from the ethanol gas. Thanks for the offers of tanks if I was a little closer I would take you guys up on it. Im sure I can find something on craigslist. Marty
Old 02-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Bronze Member

Im headed to Costco to pick up a few things that will finish off.

1- several cases of canned meat
2-several cases of canned vegetables
3- Lots of T/P
4- 5 bags of rice and flour
5- salt/pepper
6- peroxide
7- vinegar
Just heard on the radio while driving that Iran got 2 that tested positive they both died the same day also some in Africa. I was at Home Depot earlier not a dust mask or face shield in the store. I think I will fill a couple 55 gallon drums with diesel too. Its all stuff that can be consumed and rotated out if nothing happens but if I wait until something does happen it will be like the dust masks there won't be any and at that point I really wouldn't want to travel to a city to get it anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (02-19-2020), Melensdad  (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,099 Times in 956 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

"Iran got 2 that tested positive they both died the same day"

I'm guessing government sponsored murder.
jim slagle  (02-19-2020), Melensdad  (02-19-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:07 PM
Bronze Member

When do you know when it time to lockdown? For me I don't look to the authorities to tell us too much as historically governments tend to suppress information to suppress panic. Signs for me is when you see government agencies shuttering, like schools , post office etc. South Korea is now infected and telling there citizens to stay home. I feel right now where I am there is nothing to worry about but I am in CA. Sanctuary cities and evacuees from around the world are quarantined within 50 miles and things can change over night. For now I am going to stay away from there. Marty