• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No power, running on gen. power.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Second time in the past week we have lost power. First one was a major line upgrade about 4 miles away. Now a Transformer at a substation caught fire bout 7 miles away. Hard to say how long it will take so I fired the generator up to keep the heat going. Don't want the greenhouse getting too cold and the wife is easier to get along with if she has electric!:whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
the wife is easier to get along with if she has electric!:whistling:

Isn't that the truth!!!!!! :wink:

My wife still has that frontier, camping mentality of, "We can get by". I've been wanting to upgrade by installing a whole house natural gas standby generator for a while but she keeps on hitting me with logical arguments against it. Now what's that about!!! She doesn't realize that logic has nothing to do with it but whisper (she's right). As seldom as we lose power and for the short time when it does go out, it's really not worth it ... but it sure would be nice.

Besides, we never lose power at 2 o'clock in the afternoon on a pretty spring day. It's always in the middle of the night with a storm raging, rain or hail falling like shrapnel and bouncing 4 feet off the ground and I'm the one outside rigging up the generator.

You'd think that after thirty odd years she'd have a little more concern for my wellbeing. :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well this is the warmest day we have had for quite a while. Last time we had a major outage it was 1 am and -11. That was the coldest night all last winter. I was up and out to the barn to get the skid steer going in less than 5 minutes. Brought the generator down to the basement and hooked it up. My neighbors had frozen pipes but all my systems were going good.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Bill, but glad it is a nice day. Not like the other night when it was sub-zero.

Speaking of generators, I just picked up a deal at Cabela's. It's a Champion 3500W with all the accessories for $299. Haven't fired it up yet but all the reviews I could find all over the internet said it was a great running genset and incredibly quiet. I'll use it when I don't want/need to fire up a bigger generator. It's big enough to run the woodstove blowers, a couple lights and the fridge. It'll be my over-nighter genset.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well they got it back on after 2 1/2 hr. so not bad. Got a call to go pick up my smoked pork so we will be eating good tonight. Have to get my cholesterol up a little.:clap:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've had 2 very short outages this evening. Usually the third time knocks us out for hours/days. Flashlights and generator are at the ready.