• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Ventrac (mowing tractor) died in the yard -HELP

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While we were on vacation my sister in law was mowing the lawn. She was out back, as far from the road as you can be and not fall into the creek out back and the tractor died.

When we got home I went out to look it over, the battery was strong, cranked the engine over without any problems but it seemed like there was no gas getting into the engine (21hp Kawasaki, 4 cycle). Called one of the neighbors who is very good with small engines and he diagnoses it as having either a bad vacuum pump or not enough vacuum to spin the pump, consequently, as I suspected, it was getting no fuel.

I take the vacuum pump off, picked up a new one and changed it. But now the engine won't spin. :glare: Pulled the battery and charged it, obviously while working on it we ran it down enough that it wouldn't turn it over. So I get it charged up and put the battery back in but I can't connect up the positive side cable securely. :huh: The terminal was corroded and the bolt broke off inside the connector :furious: All of this wouldn't be a huge problem if the tractor was in the garage where there are tools, but the thing is 1000 feet away from anything, a swarm of biting bugs seems to have taken up residency in the shade under it, and I'm tired of driving back and forth to the house carrying tools!

The plan now is to bring down a sheet of plywood, tug the tractor onto the plywood and strap it down, then use the plywood as a sled and pull it out of the field, up the hill and to the garage where I can actually work on it. I can't use a trailer to get to it because my trailer won't fit between the trees!

HOW DO YOU CLEAN OUT A VACUUM HOSE and what is it connected to to create the vacuum? I obviously know what it is and were it is, but I don't know how the vacuum is created. I'm thinking that is really the main problem. If not, then I'm at a loss.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I wouldn't "clean" a vacuum hose, I'd replace it...they're cheap.

The vacuum is generated by the intake plenum. Think of a vacuum line as a little itty-bitty air intake into the engine. You have the big air supply to the engine where the air filter goes, plus one or more little intakes that generate the vacuum.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to my world Bob, fixing tractors in unpleasant places....

Are you definately sure its a fuel pump issue. The fuel line isnt blocked?
Disconnect the line to the fuel pump and hold it below the level of the tank. Fuel should pour out.

Easiest way to move the tractor would be to rig up a new fuel tank above the level of the engine so it is gravity fed, then you can drive it to a convenient place.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I checked the fuel line first, no problem getting fuel through the line.

I may try to rig up a fuel tank to gravity feed the engine, I had not thought of that!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I enlisted the help of 2 neighbors, to no avail. One is a welder with lots of small engine experience, the other is a machinist with lots of race car engine experience. Neither could get it started. None of us had an appropriate fuel tank to make a gravity system. So I made a sled out of a sheet of old plywood, and dragged the Ventrac up to the driveway. Called the repair shop and they picked it up yesterday. Waiting to get a bill for the repairs.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I'm curious ....isn't there a way to put the Ventrac into free wheeling mode so you don't have to use the plywood?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't really know. Small gas engines pretty much baffle me. All I know is that it was only in the shop for a couple days before it came back and has been working ever since. The vacuum was somehow disconnected that caused some of the problem, and there was something electrical too?