• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting new tucker photo!!!

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The other day i got a new tucker photo off E-bay. This machine is a Freighter sold to the U.S. Air Force for use up in Maine,My guess is Loring air base up in Limestone Maine. On the side of the Tucker it says,distributed by Sno Cat Corp of N.H.,Plymouth N.H.. This has to be a pretty early machine the photo says late 1940,s.

original.jpg

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a my fathers collection of Popular Mechanic and Popular Science. Are there any Tuckers featured in these from the late '40s early '50s?Thanks, Greig

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Science and Mechanics had one for sure and the New Yorker magizine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 270

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Usually (though, not always) the first two digits of the registration number is the contract year for the vehicle. Since the USAF wasn't, until 1947, either this unit was US Army 1940 and was one of the asset transfers or the RN was one of the weird ones.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
well, given tucker sno-cat was not organized till 1942 and the first 4 pontoon machines were not built till 1949, and given the construction, style and research, I am fairly sure it is a 1950, and would be a 643,

I believe the photo was taken in Alaska, US Army Air Corp, Ladd Field and the purchasing office in Fort Belvoir, Va.handled the purchased, and that would be the reason S-C corp of N.H. was involved, great story

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Jinn, I guess that makes sense in the military way,Get a machine built in Oregon,shipped to Plymouth N.H., then bought by purchasing in Virginia ,and then shipped to Alaska !!!!:biggrin::biggrin: Steve,Its in your backyard !! get on it!!:biggrin::biggrin: Don