• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Bass Pro Shops in Memphis includes hotel

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
New Bass Pro Shops in Memphis includes hotel
By Jody Schmal | April 29, 2015 | Updated: April 29, 2015 6:46pm

http://www.chron.com/life/travel/no...o-Shops-in-Memphis-includes-hotel-6231079.php

Memphis, Tenn., has an intriguing new lodging option and playground for outdoor enthusiasts -- and it's located in a city landmark.

After sitting vacant for more than 10 years, the 32-story Memphis Pyramid, formerly an arena, reopens today as Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid.

The 535,000-square-foot shopping and lifestyle venue on the banks of the Mississippi includes a wilderness-themed hotel called Big Cypress Lodge; it's the first hotel built within a Bass Pro Shops megastore. (The company's founder Johnny Morris also owns Big Cedar Lodge in Missouri.)

The 105 guest rooms, treehouses, cabins and suites -- inspired by vintage duck hunting camps -- are surrounded by a massive, swamplike environment featuring 100-foot-tall cypress trees, ponds, live alligator pools and duck aviaries. Big Cypress Lodge also has a spa, fitness center and event space.

According to a release, other attractions within the Pyramid include:

Fire pistol and archery ranges
10 aquariums with 600,000 gallons of water and more than 1,800 fish
A 32-story observation deck and restaurant/bar that offers views of the Memphis skyline and Mississippi River
An underwater-themed bowling alley and restaurant
The country's tallest freestanding glass elevator
A general store in a rustic cabin that sells fudge and dry goods
The Ducks Unlimited National Waterfowling Heritage Center, an interactive wetlands and waterfowl education museum showcasing the history of waterfowling and wetlands conservation, with a waterfowl identification kiosk, wetlands exhibit and onsite waterfowl experts
Though the company would not quote a specific dollar amount for the cost of the four-year project, a rep said Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid "represents the largest investment Bass Pro Shops has ever made, not only financially, but in terms of time, energy and effort in a retail store anywhere outside of our national headquarters in Missouri."

The grand opening celebrations kick off with a ribbon cutting Wednesday night, and will take place through the weekend, with special events and appearances by NASCAR driver Tony Stewart, country music singer John Anderson and Ernie Brown Jr., aka Turtleman, from the TV show "Call of the Wildman."

Room rates at Big Cypress Lodge start at $259 per night, and reservations can be made by calling 1-800-BC-LODGE (1-800-225-6343). Online reservations will be available soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 103

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They also have a water area for boats so you can rock with the waves as you check out the boats.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
visited my first one last winter. lots of things to see . almost every animal was mounted.
santa seeing the kids just didn't fit in

Umberto

Have you been to the one in Tacoma? I went Sunday afternoon and it was a bit overwhelming and they didn't have what I was looking for. The fish tank was nice and full of brood trout.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to rain on the parade, but I am thinking this is promoted by a Federal tax break for a so called "destination" like this...

Cabella's have the same thing going on with their stores. Don't know the specifics, but as I recall there are some pretty big breaks going towards these types of things. I just wish they could stand on their own...

Regards, Kirk

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to rain on the parade, but I am thinking this is promoted by a Federal tax break for a so called "destination" like this...

Cabella's have the same thing going on with their stores. Don't know the specifics, but as I recall there are some pretty big breaks going towards these types of things. I just wish they could stand on their own...

Regards, Kirk

actually, the pyramid (an old arena) is owned by the city of Memphis......

it has sat empty for over 10 years....

BPS and Memphis both put $30 Million each into upgrades, and BPS now pays the city $1 million rent/year.

there are no federal monies involved