• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Senator: Obama's attack on Warren was sexist

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: Good to see a little in fighting.

Senator: Obama's attack on Warren was sexist

By Eric Bradner, CNN
Updated 6:52 PM ET, Tue May 12, 2015

Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama's barbs at Sen. Elizabeth Warren on trade have been "disrespectful" and driven by gender, Sen. Sherrod Brown said Tuesday.

Brown was defending Warren in the wake of Senate Democrats' move to block Obama's free trade initiative -- the President's biggest legislative priority in his last two years and potentially a legacy-making effort.

The battle has pitted Obama against Warren, a Massachusetts liberal who has led the left's campaign against the 12-country Trans-Pacific Partnership. In an interview over the weekend, Obama said Warren has been "absolutely wrong" in her critique of the deal -- which the United States, Japan, Canada, Mexico and other Pacific Rim countries are still negotiating.

RELATED: Senate Dems block key Obama priority

"The truth of the matter is that Elizabeth is, you know, a politician like everybody else," Obama told Yahoo News. "And you know, she's got a voice that she wants to get out there. And I understand that. And on most issues, she and I deeply agree. On this one, though, her arguments don't stand the test of fact and scrutiny."

After Democrats led a Senate vote to block consideration of a bill that would allow Obama to fast-track that deal without amendments, Brown, an Ohio Democrat, said Obama had gotten "more personal" than he should have in critiquing Warren, according to a Politico account of his comments.

He said Obama used Warren's first name "when he might not have done that for a male senator, perhaps?"

"I think the President was disrespectful to her by the way he did that," he said. "I think that the President has made this more personal than he needed to."

Brown also swung back against Obama's argument that Democrats are too busy thinking of the new deal as an expansion of the North American Free Trade Agreement -- which didn't include the labor and environmental provisions that his negotiators are seeking in the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

"When he said that a number of us, not just Sen. Warren, but don't know what we're talking about, we're fighting the last war, a number of those phrases he used, I assume he wished he hadn't said them because he shouldn't have said them," Brown said.

"I'm not going to get into more details," he said. "I think referring to her as first name, when he might not have done that for a male senator, perhaps? I've said enough."

It's not the first time Brown has accused Obama of making personal attacks. He made a similar statement last week as Obama visited Nike in Oregon to make his trade pitch.

"American workers have seen the effects of unfair foreign trade on their jobs and manufacturing facilities -- they don't need their elected leaders making personal attacks on each other during an important policy debate," Brown said then.
Follow @CNNpolitics

CNN's Jim Acosta contributed to this report.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/12/politics/sherrod-brown-trade-elizabeth-warren-obama-sexist/index.html

....I know this might shock some of you but .... I'm no economist
I've always thought Clinton F'd up our country with NAFTA.

What is the deal with the pacific rim new policy? What do you think of it? Good or bad? Obama likes it so it must be bad ...but Warren does not like it so that makes me scratch my noggin. A little help please.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
The thing that pizzes me off is why all the secrecy on the Iran deal and the pacific trade deal?? If they're such a good thing why can't everybody know what's in it?? Remember Pelosi's infamous statement about obamacare??
Mike

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Just how does a rational person think that a muslim is supposed to treat a woman other than chattel? Sheesh...it's not like nobody knows he has no respect for men or women...he probably even hates himself. Nothing to see here, just move along. :whistling:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
"The truth of the matter is that Elizabeth is, you know, a politician like everybody else," Obama told Yahoo News. "And you know, she's got a voice that she wants to get out there. And I understand that. And on most issues, she and I deeply agree. On this one, though, her arguments don't stand the test of fact and scrutiny."
Since when does the Liar in Chief know a damned thing about "facts and scrutiny"? :hammer: