• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTT OC-12 widetrack axles for standard axles

AbelLMTV

Hi guys! My name is Sean. I am new to the snowcat community but have decided to jump on one of my biggest projects yet doing a restomod from the ground up to a 1980s thiokol spryte.

https://youtu.be/Pe5Hfi4czI4

I need a bit of help though. I have widetrack axles on the rear OC-12 diff and want to trade them for standard axles or find a way to narrow them with reliable results.

I am willing to pay shipping both ways via USPS priority click and ship (you can even schedule a pickup to your house for free with your regular mail delivery) for anyone that wants to trade straight up my OC-12 widetrack axles and tubes for your standard axles and tubes. This differential has 400 hours on it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/421648401848335/

I am in Scappoose Oregon and also have all 5 doors (minus the glass) with hardware, ford 300 motor and 3 speed transmission, and a gauge cluster if you want to work out a straight up trade for those parts as well.

Please let me know if you can help. Text me as I am anxious and want to get started on this project.... five O three seven five two O six four nine.

This is the only roadblock holding me up from getting started.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 2019-11-15 13.57.20.jpg
    2019-11-15 13.57.20.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 358
  • 2019-11-15 09.30.08.jpg
    2019-11-15 09.30.08.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 2019-11-09 09.48.45.jpg
    2019-11-09 09.48.45.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 2019-11-16 12.18.30.jpg
    2019-11-16 12.18.30.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 347
  • 2019-11-16 14.58.28.jpg
    2019-11-16 14.58.28.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 355
  • 2019-11-16 14.58.34.jpg
    2019-11-16 14.58.34.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 2019-11-16 14.58.42.jpg
    2019-11-16 14.58.42.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 354
  • 2019-11-16 10.33.05.jpg
    2019-11-16 10.33.05.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 351

AbelLMTV

I found a place locally that modifies axle tubes and cuts new axles so I will be going that route since I have had 0 responses. Thank you.

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Sean, glad you found a solution! Thanks for sharing your project. What are your plans for the cat? Are you going to be reusing the cab or going with a custom creation?
If you started a build thread here I’m sure many would be excited to follow your progress. There is a wealth of snowcat knowledge here, some times it takes a few days for the right person to see your question but someone always seems to have the answer.
The forum is the only social media that some (speaking for myself at a minimum) of us use or follow and we (I) like to click on YouTube links if you don’t mind posting them as you go.:laugh3:
Good luck!

Mike

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This time of year people and cats are just getting out of summer hibernation. Takes a few days week or so to get some good feedback on here.

Welcome and start a thread for your project for the most input and appreciation.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I found a place locally that modifies axle tubes and cuts new axles so I will be going that route since I have had 0 responses. Thank you.

Good, otherwise you would have to join the Tucker Mafia, your way to close
To the Grand Poobah....... and the Pumpkin patch girl :smile:

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey everybody, check out Part 1 of Sean’s project. Awesome video and definitely worth subscribing to his YouTube channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-WoJ5r3xwA

I found it satisfying to watch someone else cutting apart a rusty Spryte, I’m almost done cutting the rot out of the 1200c

Attachments

• 2491BD40-6F90-49C1-8398-58949AC6A1A9.jpg
    2491BD40-6F90-49C1-8398-58949AC6A1A9.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

AbelLMTV

I was contacted by Don right before I was getting ready to head to the axle shop and we may have a solution found.

I am not good at blogs on forums like these nor do I have a ton of time to devote to them however as seen above I do maintain a very detailed vlog youtube.com/seanfillner

Thanks for the replies...

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I went looking for the Spryte improvement website not too long ago and couldn’t find it, I’ve been there before...

Here are stainless slaves at Snowcat Service

http://www.snowcatservice.com/brake-system.html

As long as this is about brakes, has anyone used rubber hydraulic line the whole length to avoid the inevitable corrosion of metal brake lines? Any reason not to?

HankScorpio

Rubber line can lead to spongy brake feel. Try stainless brake line, it comes in coils and really isn't that expensive.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

don't forget to share the name, Just saying maybe others need to shorten some axles as well?

Dick are following this build?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
At one time pat told me he had the whole cylinders you can also look in jeggs and get a slip over the imput shaft slave cylinder and with some creativity make that work.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I need the complete bolt in slave cylinder not just the piston. I have 0 compatible parts to rebuild. Thanks.

I have some original slaves and new stainless slaves

If it was me,I would get rid of the original style slaves, replace with electric joystick and hydraulic cylinders, much nicer to drive,and most likely the most trouble free.

If you have questions contact me,I have done dozens of them that way. All the way up to 50,000 pound machines and you can drive with two fingers instead of arm-strong steering

Last edited:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was contacted by Don right before I was getting ready to head to the axle shop and we may have a solution found.

I am not good at blogs on forums like these nor do I have a ton of time to devote to them however as seen above I do maintain a very detailed vlog youtube.com/seanfillner

Thanks for the replies...

If that does not work out,

Shortening the tubes is easy, you look like a welder .I would over sleeve them.
The axles a little harder, but the right shop can do them pretty easy

Snowcat Pat

Spryte Improvement is still here. We originated the stainless steel slave cylinder for OC12 about 30 years ago and have sold over 500 of them, never a failure. High quality, tight tolerances and mirror polished bore. I make them.

Our website is gone. Sadly, Dr. Phillip Gregory Marsh passed away this summer and his 275 page Wallace Idaho website with him. We miss him haven't figured out how to replace the webpage. This is all that's left. Historic Wallace Idaho home page http://65.19.139.30/

We may not be made of gold but we stand behind our parts 100%, and we never ship used parts with undisclosed defects.

Thank you all for your support!

-Pat

Last edited:

AbelLMTV

Spryte Improvement is still here. We originated the stainless steel slave cylinder for OC12 about 30 years ago and have sold over 500 of them, never a failure. High quality, tight tolerances and mirror polished bore. I make them.

Our website is gone. Sadly, Dr. Phillip Gregory Marsh passed away this summer and his 275 page Wallace Idaho website with him. We miss him haven't figured out how to replace the webpage. This is all that's left. Historic Wallace Idaho home page http://65.19.139.30/

We may not be made of gold but we stand behind our parts 100%, and we never ship used parts with undisclosed defects.

-Pat

How does one reach you? I have a growing parts list.....

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How does one reach you? I have a growing parts list.....

His phone number is at the bottom

Makes a great slave here are some pictures of it

Attachments

• A03A57C7-5784-4680-8F8A-216D15C3C324.jpg
    A03A57C7-5784-4680-8F8A-216D15C3C324.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 342
  • ED228D72-6C50-42AA-A3BA-1165AC6E4912.jpg
    ED228D72-6C50-42AA-A3BA-1165AC6E4912.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 336
  • E21B3458-B8AE-4FB4-82B9-5199B822F568.jpg
    E21B3458-B8AE-4FB4-82B9-5199B822F568.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 718741D9-6D16-45AD-94A3-59A113B70A28.jpg
    718741D9-6D16-45AD-94A3-59A113B70A28.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 354

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

-Pat

Glad to hear your back ..........

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in Scappoose Oregon . . .

I traveled thru there once in life. All sorts of crazy stuff in the forest out there. I'm guessing the Sprite got thru the town security perimeter using the orange camo! Welcome to the Forums!

(all of the above is an inside joke tied to a fellow town resident. There are actually two more on here)

David

Trackrig

I have some original slaves and new stainless slaves

If it was me,I would get rid of the original style slaves, replace with electric joystick and hydraulic cylinders, much nicer to drive,and most likely the most trouble free.

If you have questions contact me,I have done dozens of them that way. All the way up to 50,000 pound machines and you can drive with two fingers instead of arm-strong steering

Can you use this type of set-up on a T16 rear end in a CF60???

Bill

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill,

Yes, you can put hydraulic steering on most any of them. We usually start with new hydraulic cylinders,rather than using the existing slaves that have had brake fluid in them.

If your machine does not have a hydraulic pump on it now, you can put a electric over hydraulic power pack on it. We have some that have had these for 10 years already, used in the utility fleets. There are two basic systems depending on if you wish to have the option of activating both at the same time as a brake function or not.

We do recommend a good alternator if you go the electric over hydraulic route.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I will make another attempt next weekend I will go in the snow trac and sled this time I thought the big boss could get there, but the farther away from the road I got the deeper the snow got after covering a mile winching out 5 times and hurting my back I had to turn around and come back. im not worried old reliable will get me out and back. and do it with heat to. as I haven't run it since the blizzard im going to have to melt snow out of the engine bay with a space heater stick in a battery it should start right up

AbelLMTV

I will make another attempt next weekend I will go in the snow trac and sled this time I thought the big boss could get there, but the farther away from the road I got the deeper the snow got after covering a mile winching out 5 times and hurting my back I had to turn around and come back. im not worried old reliable will get me out and back. and do it with heat to. as I haven't run it since the blizzard im going to have to melt snow out of the engine bay with a space heater stick in a battery it should start right up

You are going to be my ultimate hero.... you know that right??
:clap::weneedpic