• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Free weekend on Showtime starting now.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok if you have DirecTV (not sure about cable or other satellite systems) you get Showtime free till 12 PM Sunday night. Tonight they have the Tom Cruise movie called Valkyrie starting at 6PM followed by Inglorious Bastards at 8:15 PM. Tomorrow night is Twilight: Blue Moon Rising. Just a heads up for those like me that waits to catch them on TV rather than rent the DVD for most.

Ok if you have DirecTV (not sure about cable or other satellite systems) you get Showtime free till 12 PM Sunday night. Tonight they have the Tom Cruise movie called Valkyrie starting at 6PM followed by Inglorious Bastards at 8:15 PM. Tomorrow night is Twilight: Blue Moon Rising. Just a heads up for those like me that waits to catch them on TV rather than rent the DVD for most.

I have Comcast. I have to check to see if I have it too. Thanks for the info. Joe.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Please post as these free weekends might come from Showtime itself or DirecTV I just not sure. I normally get HBO, Starz but never did pick up Showtime as they really didn't have much more to offer other than an movie I might want to see but then I could rent them. I've been with Directv since the first year they bought out Hughes years ago, I guess about 14 years now.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Encore is part of my standard package on Directv. All I get over that is the 5 channel package for HDTV, HBO and Starz. HBO and Starz are about 10 channel packages most in HD all the time as are my local channels are in HD here in Lexington but that is how they are broadcast here also.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at Dish and when I got into it I get more for less with much more HDTV in 1080i that Dish does. Now I pay $114 for a month for 3 HD boxes, Tivo their maximum standard package as well as 3 premium setups. That has been steady now for a few years for me. To get the same thing from Dish would of cost me almost twice as much.

One would think that if you are having these free weekends to show "wow, look what you're missing - you should sign up" you'd put your best stuff on...not some OK movies that are years old...throw us a bone, with at least 1, 2, or 3 brand new top rate movie every day and night thru the weekend.

We've had either Dish or DTV over the last 15 or so years...I've seen many of these free weekends, but I doubt I've ever watched more than one or 2 movies all that time, and it just re-affirms why I would never pay for any of those channels.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
One would think that if you are having these free weekends to show "wow, look what you're missing - you should sign up" you'd put your best stuff on...not some OK movies that are years old...throw us a bone, with at least 1, 2, or 3 brand new top rate movie every day and night thru the weekend.

We've had either Dish or DTV over the last 15 or so years...I've seen many of these free weekends, but I doubt I've ever watched more than one or 2 movies all that time, and it just re-affirms why I would never pay for any of those channels.

Every time HBO or Showtime have free weekends on Dish Network, it is the same weekend as the season premier of all of their high-profile shows. This is the "hook" to get you interested and subscribe. Like a playground drug dealer..."hey kid, the first one is free!"

The movies aren't the reason for the free weekends, it the series.

edit: This weekend are the premiers for "Episodes", "Shameless" and "Californication" on Sunday .

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I actually have Starz for Spartacus and HBO I've always had just due to their programming in general. Starz also plays some older movies such as the western channel which I also enjoy. I really don't watch much network TV any more and could probably count on 3 shows I do watch that being the 2 NCIS and the Mentalist but then I really don't watch a lot of TV though it is always on here in 3 rooms.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Having gotten home from the gf's I am guessing the encore has become part of my standard package now. Cool. As far as them using it as a "hook" it has worked on me in the past. I get them to add it for free while the shows are on then cancel the free subscription at the end. What usually happens is they want to keep me with a movie package so they add another for free again. I repeat the process. If you cancel online they don't charge you the $5 for dropping it either. :biggrin: