• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

For Sale 1975 Tucker Auction

garygaboury

First off I am in no way associated with the auction site or the snowcat. Just thought someone here might want it..

While looking through a Govt surplus auction site I came across this 1975 tucker 1644 near Relevstoke BC. It will be sold by closed bidding with a minimum bid on Dec 12th 2012... Its easy to sign up if anyone wants to bid..

Good Luck!

http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/mn-e...type=&lci=&str=76&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

Gary

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Forum member Briarpatch has a similar vintage Tucker 1644. It would be interesting to get his perspective.

A few observations:

Originally "Omaha" orange, now yellow. I wonder how well the color change was done? Assuming someone wanted to go back to the original color (and do a decent job) that would cost some bucks...

Carriers have the original plastic hyfax system supporting the track on both sides of the drive sprockets. If you look at the idler wheels, a great many appear to be non-Tucker. I've seen these occasionally and don't know anything about them. They have roughly the same outside diameter, however the aluminum wheel casting is larger and the hard rubber portion correspondingly smaller. I'm guessing these were a lower cost replacement and the originals were worn out.

Engine paint looks too good to be original. Has the engine been rebuilt/replaced?

I can't tell if the rear pintle hook is there or missing? It looks like the left rear carriers aft rotation limit bracket is bent.

What's with the fuel line? Rather than a fairly direct route from the fuel pump to the carburetor (through an in-line filter) it seems excessively long and circuitous... (Easy fix, though)

Mtn-Track

There's nothing wrong with the idlers. The early rubber track Tuckers used R&K wheels that had a larger wheel and less rubber. The later ones are casted with Tuckers name on them and have a slightly smaller wheel and more rubber. They are both the same outside diameter. Mine has the 1500-series track system with the R&K idlers in the middle and the later "Tucker" one's on each end.

Attachments

• 11-2-10 002.jpg
    11-2-10 002.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 765

Briarpatch

Briarpatch here, The cat looks pretty close to the 1976 1644 I have! The color is different, It looks like it has an alumnium 5th wheel plate in the front, mine is in the rear.

I see somebody has added turn signals to it, and there is some type of hose coming up behind the back seat. I am not sure what that is or what it is for? It has bench seats both front and rear.

I noticed that the pulley for the water pump, alternator and hydraulic pump is only a single belt, instead of the dual belt system. There is also a knob for something right behind the alternator??

Overall it doesn't look to bad, but it is hard to tell without actually looking at.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 736
Holy cow good eyes, the color is the department of highways color, that tap looks like its hooked up to the heater lines maybe a second heater in the back were that tube is sticking up behind the rear seat, and theres a decal below the Tucker badge that was the BC Hydro symbol- hydro cat, and the goverment puts signal lights on everything from lawn mowers to heavy equipment. I think I might bid on this what would be a reasonable sight unseen bid, $9000???

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't notice the single groove pulley. I wonder if that's a rebuilt alternator with a single groove pulley, but the pulleys on the harmonic balancer and water pump have two grooves?

Kootenay if you're seriously interested I'd recommend you call Tucker. They keep pretty good records and if you give them the serial number they should be able to provide you with a copy of the original order/build sheet.

Price wise...I don't know. There were some really nice low-hour, well maintained Tuckers in Alaska last June that IMHO went pretty cheap at auction. They had three-door and four-door models all with Allison automatic transmissions and Detroit Diesels. Here's a link:http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Briarpatch,

If my memory is right your cat originally had a front blade....

I wonder if Tucker put the steel fifth wheel plate in front because of the blade for extra strength?

Briarpatch

Your correct it was built with the intention for a blade on the front. The brackets are all there and it is listed on the cut sheet. The cat was ordered by the FAA in Salt Lake City Utah. I wish I could find a picture or all of the original items that were on the cat. The cut sheet shows ski rack, shovel and axe holder, etc.

brianf

looked at machine this summer, $8000 was probally closer to what it was worth, but I am sure the high bidder will have a good project to play with